• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Facilities are a never ending arms race in college sports. Most recruits view them as a physical expression of a program's commitment to winning. If you fall too far behind the Joneses, then it will negatively affect your recruiting.

So yes what we have built and are currently building will inevitably be seen as inadequate all too soon forcing the process to repeat itself. You have to accept that great facilities are just one aspect of building a winning program and do not guarantee wins and championships in and of themselves, but poor facilities in comparison to your competition can seriously hamstring your ability to compete.

Ron Wellman's view of athletic success is achieved on the construction site. He works hard as hell to make football and basketball irrelevant.

Not sure if I ever heard of Budd Gym. So there's Reynolds, Miller, and Budd gyms along with a new gym.

Budd Gym is the court in the Miller Center.

There is currently Reynolds Gym (volleyball) and Budd Gym (men's and women's basketball).

Facilities are a never ending arms race in college sports. Most recruits view them as a physical expression of a program's commitment to winning. If you fall too far behind the Joneses, then it will negatively affect your recruiting.

So yes what we have built and are currently building will inevitably be seen as inadequate all too soon forcing the process to repeat itself. You have to accept that great facilities are just one aspect of building a winning program and do not guarantee wins and championships in and of themselves, but poor facilities in comparison to your competition can seriously hamstring your ability to compete.

All while actual academic buildings continue to fall apart.

All while actual academic buildings continue to fall apart.

Not sure if you're being serious. We just built a very impressive new business school, as well as a new building attached to the law school for HES. There are constant updates to academic building that don't get publicized. The Reynolds Gym extension is for the regular students. The quad dorms are also getting gutted and improved while a new freshman dorm goes up. There is an update to the library on the horizon as well. It's not like the greater student body is being neglected.

Budd Gym is the court in the Miller Center.

There is currently Reynolds Gym (volleyball) and Budd Gym (men's and women's basketball).

Thanks.

Any updates on renovations to Winston and Salem?

Campus is a giant construction/renovation zone right now. It's felt that way for a while, actually.

Not sure if you're being serious. We just built a very impressive new business school, as well as a new building attached to the law school for HES. There are constant updates to academic building that don't get publicized. The Reynolds Gym extension is for the regular students. The quad dorms are also getting gutted and improved while a new freshman dorm goes up. There is an update to the library on the horizon as well. It's not like the greater student body is being neglected.

Would love to see what the renovated quad dorms look like.
I think back to our suites with cramped cinder block rooms and bunk beds..........light years different from dorm rooms today.
However, at the time, they worked, and were almost indestructible.

Campus is a giant construction/renovation zone right now. It's felt that way for a while, actually.

One thing I remember from freshman orientation is some administrator said there will always been construction on campus. But is a small sacrifice to keep the high value of a Wale Forest degree.

One thing I remember from freshman orientation is some administrator said there will always been construction on campus. But is a small sacrifice to keep the high value of a Wale Forest degree.

The administrator said the second sentence too, or is that your comment? I assume the former.

Get back to me when Wake puts together a campaign like Wake Will that treats non-athletic capital projects as more than an after thought.

Get back to me when Wake puts together a campaign like Wake Will that treats non-athletic capital projects as more than an after thought.

It was my impression that Wake Will as a campaign is meant to support way more than just athletics. This would seem to show that: http://wakewill.wfu.edu/opportunities

The overhaul of Scales looks to cost more than the combined cost of the new Sports Performance Center and the indoor practice facility.

Would love to see what the renovated quad dorms look like.
I think back to our suites with cramped cinder block rooms and bunk beds..........light years different from dorm rooms today.
However, at the time, they worked, and were almost indestructible.

That's how they still are now - quad dorms have hardly changed at all I imagine. Definitely in need for a revamp. Lived in a "double" with Cumberland in Davis sophomore year and it's probably smaller than a single at most other schools.

Wake Will is a $1 billion fundraising campaign. Only 7% is dedicated to athletics. Here's some more info http://wakewill.wfu.edu/opportunities

I'm very aware of what Wake Will is dedicated to. Very little of that is dedicated to improving undergrad academic facilities. And none of those have personalized web-pages and publicity campaigns like the Field House.

I'm very aware of what Wake Will is dedicated to. Very little of that is dedicated to improving undergrad academic facilities. And none of those have personalized web-pages and publicity campaigns like the Field House.

People support what they want to support. If Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary offered a matching $10 million gift to renovate Winston and Salem or whatever, I guarantee it would have a personalized web page and publicity campaign. I'm not saying everyone's collective priorities aren't misplaced with the college athletics arms race, but that's somewhat of a different issue.

I think 93% towards academics and 7% towards athletics is a pretty reasonable distribution.

Back