• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Slow Jamz
Through the Wire
Touch the Sky
Addiction
Stronger
Big Brother
Dark Fantasy
All Of The Lights
Bound 2
No More Parties in LA

I need to listen to it again (and probably another time after that), but I think we need to have a Talk about 22, A Million, which may end up a contender for the most Important release of the year.

The complaint I heard most about Bon Iver's s/t (not from me, mind; I love that friggin album) was that it was too safe and, consequently, boring. Vernon & Co seem to have taken that to heart and thrown "safe" out the window here. It's a routinely thrilling album, which is not a word I expected to use to describe a Bon Iver record in 2016.

I was thinking a little about Vernon's collab with James Blake ("I Need a Forest Fire") earlier this year. Blake seems to have rubbed off on him a bit here, too. "8 (circle)" sounds like it could have come straight off of Blake's debut s/t.

It's not a flawless album, by any means, and "Bon Iver fans" looking for a logical progression from their first two albums are probably going to feel a little disoriented, but man, it's exciting and a little jarring and one of the track titles has two dice emojis in it, so what the fuck, let's do this.

33 GOD is my favorite single from the new Bon Over so far.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I like the way "29 #Strafford Apts" starts to entertain the idea of being a Normal Bon Iver Song, but then subverts that expectation entirely.

One time I made a mix CD of love songs for my girlfriend and put Skinny Love on it and it was a bad move.

No idea if this has ever been posted before but he is a really amazing cover:

I need to listen to it again (and probably another time after that), but I think we need to have a Talk about 22, A Million, which may end up a contender for the most Important release of the year.

The complaint I heard most about Bon Iver's s/t (not from me, mind; I love that friggin album) was that it was too safe and, consequently, boring. Vernon & Co seem to have taken that to heart and thrown "safe" out the window here. It's a routinely thrilling album, which is not a word I expected to use to describe a Bon Iver record in 2016.

I was thinking a little about Vernon's collab with James Blake ("I Need a Forest Fire") earlier this year. Blake seems to have rubbed off on him a bit here, too. "8 (circle)" sounds like it could have come straight off of Blake's debut s/t.

It's not a flawless album, by any means, and "Bon Iver fans" looking for a logical progression from their first two albums are probably going to feel a little disoriented, but man, it's exciting and a little jarring and one of the track titles has two dice emojis in it, so what the fuck, let's do this.

I'm liking it so far. First impression is definitely a feeling that the merger of Bon Iver and James Blake is now complete.

Thoughts? I am stuck planning for a class I picked up, so I have not had time to dig through this. However I figured with the tastes on here, this could be an interesting discussion starting with their definition of ambient:

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9948-the-50-best-ambient-albums-of-all-time/

Good list - diverse genre - there's all sorts of sub genres in this list - drone/ambient techno/vaporwave/noise - disagree with putting The Tired Sounds... over And Their Refinement of the Decline but the top ten is strong either way.

If you're reading this and haven't listened to Ambient 1: Music for Airports, Selected Ambient Works Volume II or Chill Out then I highly suggest it.

Back