• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Hahaha, dude, what the fuck? This thread is about police violence and you asked a question about Robin Hood. When I said it "wasn't a real question," I meant that I thought you were asking it as a rhetorical question, not because you really wanted to know about it. My response was a joke with some stupid trivia....

Uh, Robin Hood is a fiction. Not real. I'm not sure that you should be basing your asset forfeiture hottakes on Robin Hood.

It was a rhetorical question to show typical street-level bureaucrat behavior across time and place, so it was relevant to avalon's post comparing police seizures to outright thefts.

No robinhood wasn't a real person. neither was Hippocrates, Moses, or Sasquatch. The point was the story, and that you all could relate to it to see how police abuse power to extort the assets of citizens. and taxes were paid in kind long before fiat money existed, so yes government taking assets = government taxes.

Also, the reason I offered the etymology, which you so promptly dismissed, is because I was pushing back against your argument that Sheriffs were "local LEO". They were primarily county bureaucrats, and while their job duties did literally include, in part, "law enforcement," equating them with contemporary LEO and policing in the contemporary sense is too anachronistic to make for a helpful analogy.

i dismissed it cuz it really wasn't relevant. the point wasn't that their jobs were analogous, the point was they're both asshole tax men.

I didn't realize your og response was a joke mixed with a bit of trivia.

read the linked article, it's total federal asset forfeitures - not just forfeitures from burglaries which, as you point out, would be nonexistent. It's mostly forfeitures from alleged drug traffickers. Plenty of people on the right and left think the forfeitures practices of many law enforcement agencies should be reined in.

and that's just what's documented. there is good reason to believe that a huge portion of police seizures go unreported on all three levels of govt.

That video is fucking horrendous...don't want to think about how many cops got away with stuff like that before video was so prevalent. Also have no idea how it takes a year to charge the cop there - the video shows it all, kid didn't even make a move toward that cop before he opened fire after being on the scene for approximately 30 seconds.

It doesn't take a year. It takes the release of the video to the public.

Fucking cold-blooded.

Yep, that cop should spend the rest of his life in prison.

How about the cop standing right beside him? Maybe McDonald's life could have been saved if that cop hadn't let his coworker fire the next 15 shots.

That video is fucking horrendous...don't want to think about how many cops got away with stuff like that before video was so prevalent. Also have no idea how it takes a year to charge the cop there - the video shows it all, kid didn't even make a move toward that cop before he opened fire after being on the scene for approximately 30 seconds.

We'll said

Yep. There was an active cover-up. When will those cops be brought to justice?

Not gonna happen unless their hand is somehow forced. The theme of the day from officials yesterday, all the way up to Rahm Emanuel, was "bad apple."

How Chicago tried to cover up a police execution

Last December, Kalven and Futterman issued a statement revealing the existence of a dash-cam video and calling for its release. Kalven tracked down a witness to the shooting, who said he and other witnesses had been “shooed away” from the scene with no statements or contact information taken.

In February, Kalven obtained a copy of McDonald’s autopsy, which contradicted the official story that McDonald had died of a single gunshot to the chest. In fact, he’d been shot 16 times—as Van Dyke unloaded his service revolver, execution style—while McDonald lay on the ground.

In April, the Chicago Tribune revealed Van Dyke’s name and his history of civilian complaints—including several brutality complaints, one of which cost the city $500,000 in a civil lawsuit—none of which resulted in any disciplinary action. In May, Carol Marin reported that video from a security camera at a Burger King on the scene had apparently been deleted by police in the hours after the shooting.

Kalven calls Emanuel’s “reframing” of the narrative “essentially false.” He points out that “everything we know now, the city knew from Day One. They had the officers on the scene. They knew there were witnesses. They had the autopsy, they had the video.... They maintained a false narrative about those events, and they did it for a year, when it could have been corrected almost immediately....They spent a year stonewalling any calls for transparency, any information about the case.”

no need for a knee jerk reaction to this guys. let's just wait for all the facts to come out.

How about the cop standing right beside him? Maybe McDonald's life could have been saved if that cop hadn't let his coworker fire the next 15 shots.

The first shot spun him around and he crumpled. Dude had a knife, but wasn't a threat after the first shot. Cop still pumped 15 more shots into the guy. Amazing there hasn't been any rioting. No footage in Ferguson, but this is way too blatant.

The first shot spun him around and he crumpled. Dude had a knife, but wasn't a threat after the first shot. Cop still pumped 15 more shots into the guy. Amazing there hasn't been any rioting. No footage in Ferguson, but this is way too blatant.

Rahm and the cops want a riot. That helps reframe the narrative.

Graphic Video Released Of White Chicago Police Officer Shooting Black Teenager

FUTTERMAN: So we also spoke with eyewitnesses who were there. And one of the women who was a witness to the shooting who had - was shocked and who repeatedly screamed, stop shooting, as the officer emptied his gun into the young boy's body, refused to leave. And she reports that she was taken to the station and placed in a locked room and intimidated and told that she didn't see what she saw. We then learned, as we interviewed people from Burger King that was located kitty-corner to where this happened - and the Burger King cameras had seven different video files. The officer went into the Burger King, and he erased all seven of those files. The irony is, though, that the Burger King surveillance video was running while the officer erased them. And so there's a videotape of the officer erasing the video.

huh.

Last edited:
Rahm and the cops want a riot. That helps reframe the narrative.

Shooting occurred 13 months ago and Rahm ran for reelection in April. Convenient that video didn't surface until now. erasing evidence won't sit well. Can't see Rahm running again.

they won't b/c police are a gang, and gang members protect their own.

i think maybe we should all drop this pretext that "most cops are good." good cops don't look the other way when fellow officers break the law. good cops don't help fellow officers break the law. Good cops don't fail to report crimes by fellow officers , and god cops certainly don't help fellow officers cover up their crimes.

Plenty of news stories on youtube that show what happens to good/naive cops (ironically known as snitches and rats by their co-workers) when they out other members of their gang.

Last edited:
Back