• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

So, would WF be consider to have a top 5 or top 10 recruiting class coming in this Fall (assuming no new additional players).

Yes, I would think so. I think UNC, Stanford, UVa, Wake, and Duke/Indiana. In that order. UNC and Stanford with the clear top 2 recruiting classes.

(Some commits still haven't announced, and because of lack of interest/pub/etc., some have not been confirmed, but this would be my take on the top 5. And of course, there's always a chance that a committed player won't step foot on campus, which is what UNC is likely concerned about with a couple commits.)

Brad Dunwell's PDL team Michigan Bucks cupset Indy Eleven to move onto the next round of the Lamar Hunt cup. Pretty cool to see some "amateur" teams pull off some upsets.

Brad Dunwell's PDL team Michigan Bucks cupset Indy Eleven to move onto the next round of the Lamar Hunt cup. Pretty cool to see some "amateur" teams pull off some upsets.

Some pub team from Baltimore (Christos, I think) beat Richmond Kickers, too.

Yes, I would think so. I think UNC, Stanford, UVa, Wake, and Duke/Indiana. In that order. UNC and Stanford with the clear top 2 recruiting classes.

(Some commits still haven't announced, and because of lack of interest/pub/etc., some have not been confirmed, but this would be my take on the top 5. And of course, there's always a chance that a committed player won't step foot on campus, which is what UNC is likely concerned about with a couple commits.)

Top Drawer came out with their recruiting class rankings.
#1 UNC
#2 Stanford
#3 Wake

Rich get richer. However, there's still some concern as to whether every commit (from all 3, really) will make it to campus as opposed to turning pro instead. Watching Pulisic (Goalie, not GOAT) is an interesting example.

Nervous in Winston-Salem: The organization expected Ottawa to be what they were: mature, experienced, quite physical and a challenge. Seven Union loanees came down for the game. Integrated among the first teamers on defense and in the midfield, was lone Academy representative Mark McKenzie. As he did exactly 365 days earlier in his first Steel start and every game since, McKenzie “belonged.” He needed help with Tucker Hume, but who didn’t?

If I were a Wake Forest University soccer coach focused on defenders, I would pay careful attention to every nuance of every public statement from Earnie Stewart between now and August 1st.

:sketch:

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2017/06/05/match-report-bethlehem-steel-fc-1-ottawa-fury-1/

Okoli and Jack on the field together. Harrison with a beautiful cross to Villa, who volleys it home to put NYCFC up 2-1 vs Seattle after they drew level on a bogus penalty that Villa converted for his 50th goal.

I'm not a soccer expert but today's announcement on Wake's site of our incoming recruits sounds very, very good.

Anyone that follows this closer than I do care to comment on the announcement of the recruiting class? Any surprises on this list? Any commitments that didn't sign? Probably no Jack Harrisons there, but the class looks good to me,too.

That we can continue to sign top 100 recruits that will come to Wake and essentially pay full sticker price is remarkable. Add a couple of players that will immediately push for starting berths in each class to replace the departing pros and a bunch of talented, coachable Top 100 kids from the national team set-up and a couple of them will step up and/or stay four years. What a program.

I see that WF signed a bunch of recruits in ranked in the top 150.

Do all of the top 150 actually play in college or do several of the top ranked "recruits" skip college and go straight to pro soccer (or do those that go straight to pro soccer sign when they are younger and as a result, those that turn pro aren't considered in soccer recruit rankings at all)? Trying to understand if the top 150 recruit rankings are closer to basketball where almost all go to college or baseball where a huge portion of the top 150 sign with MLB teams.

I see that WF signed a bunch of recruits in ranked in the top 150.

Do all of the top 150 actually play in college or do several of the top ranked "recruits" skip college and go straight to pro soccer (or do those that go straight to pro soccer sign when they are younger and as a result, those that turn pro aren't considered in soccer recruit rankings at all)? Trying to understand if the top 150 recruit rankings are closer to basketball where almost all go to college or baseball where a huge portion of the top 150 sign with MLB teams.

We had one this year and one last year go the pro route/homegrown route. It's becoming more and more common as the development academies get better and identify talent better at the high school/club level. I would venture to guess that maybe 10% of the top 150 will turn pro. I could be off on that.

Anyone that follows this closer than I do care to comment on the announcement of the recruiting class? Any surprises on this list? Any commitments that didn't sign? Probably no Jack Harrisons there, but the class looks good to me,too.

I mean, Jack Harrison left after his freshman year, and was an immediate impact player in the MLS as soon as he was able to suit up. That type of talent is going to be rare. However, Brandon Servania is going to be very, very good.

Chatted with McCurley (one of the incoming freshmen) for about 15 minutes at a Wake event in Chicago earlier this month. Was transparent about the travel circuit and the recruiting process, neither of which I knew much about. Seemed like a solid guy who is all in on the Deacs. Even flew out to watch the championship game against Stanford.

I mean, Jack Harrison left after his freshman year, and was an immediate impact player in the MLS as soon as he was able to suit up. That type of talent is going to be rare. However, Brandon Servania is going to be very, very good.

You are correct Servania is going to be a beast ...hope we can keep him for more than one year

I have no idea who Congregation could be and I started the thread. If you don't want to completely out yourself, perhaps a PM? I won't tell.

Back