• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

Deacs dominated but Louisville countered well a couple of times. Wake now in first place in the ACC.

Tied with Louisville and UNC. Only BC at home and Syracuse away left. Anyone know how we stand with tiebreakers?

Why do we only play 8 conference games? It wouldn't be that difficult to stretch it to 9, 10, or 11 (full round-robin) games, I'd imagine.

Tied with Louisville and UNC. Only BC at home and Syracuse away left. Anyone know how we stand with tiebreakers?

I assume we hold the tiebreaker over Louisville, since we beat them. UNC lost to UVA (and tied Syracuse), so I'm not sure what would be used next in the tiebreaker.

Here's some video from the game http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/101516aaa.html

Here some video of the post-game beer celebration http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_e76be4e4-e2b6-552b-9a63-d86e6dc13ff2.html

I don't know how the tiebreakers work either, but one of the Journal articles says Wake controls their own destiny - so win the last two conference games and we win the regular season title for the second straight year.

Play at South Carolina tomorrow who, after dropping three of their first four or five games, hasn't lost in over a month and is likely going to be ranked this week.

Always think it's weird that the SEC doesn't really have soccer and South Carolina plays in CUSA.

Kentucky and South Carolina are only schools with men's soccer. Both play in CUSA. It is strange.

Always think it's weird that the SEC doesn't really have soccer and South Carolina plays in CUSA.

Yeah, SEC schools probably don't have enough money to fund a soccer program... If only they had a cash cow, money generating, team sport that could be used to fund the other sports like soccer.

I don't know how the tiebreakers work either, but one of the Journal articles says Wake controls their own destiny - so win the last two conference games and we win the regular season title for the second straight year.

Play at South Carolina tomorrow who, after dropping three of their first four or five games, hasn't lost in over a month and is likely going to be ranked this week.

Is there really an ACC regular season champion in men's soccer? In the soccer standings on the ACC's website ( http://www.theacc.com/standings/#/m-soccer/2016 ), men's soccer has "Coastal" and "Atlantic" Divisions just like football and baseball. WF leads the Atlantic and UNC leads the Coastal both are 4-1-1 in conference. WF and UNC don't play in the regular season; so, not sure how the #1 seed is determined for the ACC tournament, but at best, WF could clinch the Atlantic Division 'championship' to the extent that such a championship exists if it wins out.

Whoever gets the one seed in the conference tournament is the "regular season champion" to the extent it exists.

I can't find anything about tiebreakers for the conference tournament, but I believe the winners of each division are guaranteed the 1 or 2 seed. I have no idea how they break a tie between, say, Wake and Pittsburgh if they end up equal in points and don't play - maybe goal differential?

Kentucky and South Carolina are only schools with men's soccer. Both play in CUSA. It is strange.

Yeah, SEC schools probably don't have enough money to fund a soccer program... If only they had a cash cow, money generating, team sport that could be used to fund the other sports like soccer.

I guess I don't understand which sport women's soccer "offsets" for Title IX compliance if they don't have men's soccer. Put another way, what men's sport is the equivalent to women's soccer? Because every single SEC team has a women's soccer team and the SEC sanctions a women's conference and tournament.

Why do we only play 8 conference games? It wouldn't be that difficult to stretch it to 9, 10, or 11 (full round-robin) games, I'd imagine.

Given what a chipper-shredder the ACC is in soccer, it's probably good we only play 8 and get to go outside of the conference. 7-8 teams ACC in the Top 13 in the country (depending on which rankings you look at) is just ridiculous.

I guess I don't understand which sport women's soccer "offsets" for Title IX compliance if they don't have men's soccer. Put another way, what men's sport is the equivalent to women's soccer? Because every single SEC team has a women's soccer team and the SEC sanctions a women's conference and tournament.

Every D-1 school that fields a football team has a number of female sports with no male counterpart to offset all the ships that go to football. For WF, its volleyball and field hockey (in addition to giving women more ships for women's basketball and cross country/track). In the SEC, most of the schools field a women's soccer team, but no men's team because they need to offset the ships devoted to football.

Pretty amazing that Florida is the #3 state in population in the US, and none of that state's most prominent schools (U of Florida, Florida State and Miami) field a men's soccer team.

Anyone in the area planning on attending the game in Columbia on Tuesday? I think I will be taking the wife and kids (for as long as they last bc they are 5 and 3 years old). Hoping to get a few Columbia area Deacs to go.

Very controlling win for the Deacs. Gamecocks had a couple chances, but it was all Wake. Possession likely 75/25. We are going to need to find some goals at some point, but maybe not many of Ferrell and the back 4 continue to play like this.

Solid 1-0 win at #21 South Carolina. Wake is now ranked #2.

Before tonight's game, Wake was only #13 in the RPI, behind 6 other ACC schools. With a win over #25 RPI South Carolina and remaining games against #20 RPI Boston College and #7 RPI Syracuse before the ACC tournament, the rating should improve. By the way, the ACC owns the top 3 in the RPI and 6 of the top 8.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1/ncaa-mens-soccer-rpi

Hopefully a sign of things to come as Bakero gets in behind the defense and scores. 1-0 up on BC.

Damn, I thought the game was tomorrow night. Oh whale, GO DEACS!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Back