• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case Against Football

Antwaan Randle El with a strong argument against football.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-wouldn-t-play-football/stories/201601190177?

Ten years after he threw one of the most-celebrated passes in Steelers history, Antwaan Randle El has trouble walking down stairs.
“I have to come down sideways sometimes, depending on the day,” Randle El, 36, said. “Going up is easier actually than coming down.”
Randle El was an electric athlete, versatile enough to run a route on one play and throw a beautiful spiral on the next, as he did in Super Bowl XL when he found Hines Ward for a 43-yard touchdown on a wide receiver reverse pass. That his body has begun to betray him before his 40th birthday is hard to fathom. The crazy thing is that Randle El can feel his mind slipping, too.
“I ask my wife things over and over again, and she’s like, ‘I just told you that,’ ” Randle El said. “I’ll ask her three times the night before and get up in the morning and forget. Stuff like that. I try to chalk it up as I’m busy, I’m doing a lot, but I have to be on my knees praying about it, asking God to allow me to not have these issues and live a long life. I want to see my kids raised up. I want to see my grandkids.”

Randle El didn’t hesitate when asked if he regrets playing football.
“If I could go back, I wouldn’t,” he said. “I would play baseball. I got drafted by the Cubs in the 14th round, but I didn’t play baseball because of my parents. They made me go to school. Don’t get me wrong, I love the game of football. But, right now, I could still be playing baseball.”

“The kids are getting bigger and faster, so the concussions, the severe spinal cord injuries, are only going to get worse,” he said. “It’s a tough pill to swallow because I love the game of football. But I tell parents, you can have the right helmet, the perfect pads on, and still end up with a paraplegic kid.
“There’s no correcting it. There’s no helmet that’s going to correct it. There’s no teaching that’s going to correct it. It just comes down to it’s a physically violent game. Football players are in a car wreck every week.”
Randle El knows how much power the game of football still has over American society. He knows every year the NFL just piles up more and more money. But he also knows the winds are changing.
What he’s about to say … he knows it sounds off the wall.
“Right now,” he said, “I wouldn’t be surprised if football isn’t around in 20, 25 years.”

On a similar note, a friend of mine and I were talking about the last decade or so of Bengals football and we started talking about Chris Henry and his trouble with the law. He died in 2009 after falling off the back of a truck. I hadn't thought about him since. I looked him up and found out that 6 months after his death, Henry was diagnosed with CTE. He had never been diagnosed with a concussion in college or in 5 years in the NFL. He was only 26 years old. Who knows how many college and NFL players, maybe even high school players, are living with CTE?

The work place safety piece of this is only a very small part of the "Case against Football".

At this point, NFL players and even college players are very aware of the concussion CTE risk associated with playing football. With all of the information now public, there is a strong assumption of the risk argument against adults who choose to play the sport (kind of like race car drivers and downhill skiers; there is not much of an argument right now about whether the sport increases the risk for long-term injury).

The part that impacts the most people is the war on youth football, and the declining numbers of kids that play football growing up (the growing sentiment that "good" parents should discourage their kids from playing football). That's not a workers v. management issue, but a culture issue where moms and dads are deciding to steer Little Johnny into another sport based upon the continuing public drumbeat amplifying the negatives of the sport.

This sums up my thoughts as well. I think at this point college and pro players know the risk

The issue is really about 7-18 year olds putting on pads and how their bodies and brains will be hurt by playing football throughout childhood. That then gets back to JuiceCrews moral issue.

ows_145471903947247.jpg

Something to think about. Good article.

Before this past season, North Carolina limited high school football teams to 60 minutes of tackling per week in practice. Few exceptions, but most coaches seemed to welcome it.

Pretty sure Wake safeties weren't allowed to tackle during games last year. Real innovative stuff.

Pretty sure Wake safeties weren't allowed to tackle during games last year. Real innovative stuff.

That must be why they played safety. They kept the opposing players safe.

that's the making of men that mebane always talks about

Maybe we shouldn't be financially supporting this sport?

:couch:

Last night I watched three fights on HBO, one with four knockdowns. Grown men, with no pads, pounding the crap out of each other. CTE has been known in boxing since the 30s and its still on TV and generating views. Football isn't going anywhere.

Is boxing the comparison you want to be making? And isn't saying we've known about CTE since the 30s like saying we've known about alzheimer's since the first cases of dementia?

Football will change but slowly to reduce risk of disabilities due to its basic brutality. But it is not going away just like boxing has not. Too many sunk costs in both. Boxing probably should go away but it is better than sword fighting and dueling as far as risk of death goes!

Locker room rape ‘more likely than not’ occurred, Idaho school records say

The civil lawsuit, brought by the victim of the alleged assault against the district, claims the Oct. 22 sexual assault was the culmination of months of “severe and pervasive harassment, racial discrimination, mental and physical assault and battery.” The suit seeks $10 million in damages and claims the district, school administrators and football coaches were aware of or should have been aware of the abuse.”

The documents show that Superintendent Ben Hardcastle and Principal Stephanie Shaw opened a Title IX investigation into the sexual-assault allegations on Oct. 23, the same day the victim’s mother reported the attack.

The investigation found that one teammate:

▪ More likely than not on Oct. 22 gave the victim a “wedgie” that ripped his underwear before practice. “This happened in front of other student athletes.”

▪ More likely than not, the victim was wearing the torn boxers after practice when the same teammate who gave him the “wedgie” picked up a black plastic hanger and abused the victim.

▪ It is possible that the teammate who inserted the hanger, when told by another player to stop, told that teammate “something to the effect, ‘shut up or I’ll do the same thing to you.’”

Tanner Ward was the player accused in the criminal complain of inserting the coat hanger into the victim. He was initially charged as an adult with forcible sexual penetration by the use of a foreign object, but his case was moved to juvenile court earlier this month as part of plea negotiations.

The investigation found that a second teammate:

▪ More likely than not “kicked the hanger multiple times, either embedding it into the rectum of (victim), or embedding it further.”

▪ More likely than not, the teammate who kicked the hanger “on other occasions … has ‘dry humped’ or simulated having anal sex with younger players.”

▪ “It is possible but not certain that, before practice on Oct. 22, (the player who kicked the hanger) pushed (the victim) into the corner of the bathroom on the Junior High School side of the locker room, after his underwear had been ripped, and simulated having sex with him.”

Howard was the player accused in the criminal complaint of kicking the hanger further into the victim. He pleaded not guilty earlier this month to a felony charge of forcible sexual penetration by the use of a foreign object.

The investigation found that a third teammate:

▪ More likely than not had his arm around and was possibly hugging (victim) when (redacted) grabbed (the victim’s) underwear.

▪ “More likely than not ... was present and turned off the lights in the bathroom when (the second player) pushed (the victim) into the corner and simulated having sex with him.”

▪ More likely than not “‘dry humped’ or simulated having sex with (the victim) in the cold storage room the football team keeps its pads, but this happened on a separate date than the other incidents.”

The player charged as a juvenile was a boy accused in a preliminary hearing of luring the victim into a hug so that Ward and Tanner could attack him.

Other documents in the new court filing include written statements and drawings from students whose names are redacted. Among them is a statement from a football player who says he used his foot to shove the victim away.

The documents say the players attacked the victim twice, both times abusing him with the hanger.

Other football players wrote they witnessed the attacks, with one writing “I felt like saying something to stop it but I’m one of those people that I get too nervous or shy to say something about it.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/article104645601.html#storylink=cpy

Back