• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Recruits will think they are at a Clemson home game as visitors will outnumber us 3 or 4:1.

Fortunately it's a Thursday game so that'll keep Clempson's numbers way down. They'll have under 5K at the game.

I was on a flight today from Atlanta to LA. Before takeoff I heard somebody say 'we have Wake Forest this Thursday night'.
I did a quick turnaround and it was guy in a Clemson shirt. Thought about saying something smart like 'Beware the Deacons' but I didn't want to start anything......it's a long flight.

No way it'll be under 5k.

Count on it. I live in the middle of Clempson country and believe me I know almost no hardcore rednecks here who are planning to go. And I'm talking about true blue necks who rarely miss a game.

This game has about as much excitement surrounding it as a case of hemorrhoids.

Another WR to add to the Board. Interesting. Lots of WRs in the past few weeks.

Somebody was hyping up Cone over the last few weeks.

I thought Madison would be playing bball in college. He played on CP3's 15U? showcase team out of greensboro that made lots of noise nationally over the summer. He is a reclass, so he is an old sophomore, but otherwise he is a player.

His high school football team (9-1) plays my son's team this weekend for the conference championship, so I will let you guys know what I think. They also have a 2017 RB WF recruit Beal. Unfortunately, my son wont be playing. He failed his concussion test yesterday, which means he can't play Friday.

Last edited:
Another WR to add to the Board. Interesting. Lots of WRs in the past few weeks.

Well, we can't get a running back, so I guess we are going to throw every down. Needs lots of WR for that.

Well, we can't get a running back, so I guess we are going to throw every down. Needs lots of WR for that.

Is it possible that the staff has concluded that if you want to get quality RBs and WRs that you need to get in on them earlier than other positions???? Maybe the late start that came by virtue of the new hire hurt them at those positions???

Here is a breakdown of the number of players on my Big Board (broken down by position):

5 RBs (will be 6 once I add Reggie Floyd)
6 WRs (will be 7 once I add Chavis Dawkins)
2 OLs
3 DTs
1 CB

No DEs, LBs, S or TEs

Last edited:
I am generally happy with the progress of 2016 recruiting thus far. Despite struggling on the field, Wake is still getting traction with a handful of quality players. I can be a pessimist at times and was concerned that the on-field product would hurt us more than it actually has. The fact is that there are some key targets that are mentioning Wake. Plus, any progress that the staff has made to date on the class puts them ahead of where they were in the 2015 cycle. Think about how much progress the staff has made in recruiting the 2016 class. At this point last year, they were still 6 weeks from being hired. For comparison purposes, consider that Jake Bargas was one of the first 2015 players offered by Clawson and he wasn’t offered until January 10.

For all of those reasons I am really hoping that the staff leaves some scholarships for 2016. It would be nice to think that there would be at least 12 scholarships for this class.

Here is an overview of where things stand, with some positives and negatives.

The positives:

1. “THE BIG THREE”? – There are 3 guys in particular that are really talking up Wake Forest. All are ranked in Rivals Top 28 players in North Carolina. RB Tre Harbison is #12. WR/RB Moe Neal is #15. DT Christian Colon is #21. Wake might lead for Harbison right now, although that may change as his offer list fills out. Wake might also lead for Neal, or at worst might be co-leaders with Syracuse. Wake is neck and neck with UNC for Colon. I think that Colon would really like to commit to a school together with one of the other players in the group of Charlotte-area recruits that have become close friends. That could mean UNC (if Zach Gilbert commits there) or Wake Forest (if Moe Neal commits). Also, I am trying to get a better feel for where Wake Forest stands with Kendall Hinton’s Southern Durham teammate ATH Jordon Brown (the #13 player in the state). He is playing things a little closer to the vest, but Wake is in the running at some level. If he’s legitimately interested, that would make it a "Big Four" in my opinion.

2. RBs in NORTH CAROLINA – According to Rivals, 7 of the top 28 players in North Carolina are RBs. Many of those guys are looking to stay in-state. If they do stay-in state, there should be plenty of talent to go around. It will be important for Wake to come away with their fair share.

3. AGGRESSIVE OFFERS –There is an advantage that comes with being the first Power 5 team to offer a recruit. Recruits sometimes stay loyal to the first program to take a chance on them. In the past I have noted that the Wake staff has appeared to me to be reluctant to be that first offer, but that changed in October when they offered OL Je’Vionte Nash, CB Martin Mangram and WR Jeremiah Brown. Plus, they were the 2nd Power 5 school to offer ATH Jalen Elliott, WR Samuel Denmark and WR Chavis Dawkins.

The negatives(?):

1. FEW GAME VISITORS – I have been a little disappointed that we haven’t had more 2016 recruits attend our home games. I am sure that there have been a few that I didn’t pick up on via Twitter etc. It is also worth noting that I didn’t follow this last year, so I really don’t have a basis for comparison. However, by my count there have only been 13 players with offers from Power 5 programs that have attended the 4 home games. 6 of the 28 ranked players in North Carolina (three more are expected for the Clemson game). 1 of the 10 ranked players in South Carolina. None of the 18 ranked players in Virginia.

2. OL RECRUITING is off to a slower start. I have said before that I think this is mostly attributable to relatively weak class in North Carolina in a year where the most of the early recruiting has been in-state. Plus, the two biggest in-state names are considered Duke-leans.

Last edited:
#WakeForest offers 2016 Stud DE Khalid Kareem (Harrison HS, MI) @khalid_kareem93 @VarsityPreps

Dayton (OH) Chaminade Julienne junior QB Jacob Harrison will be visiting Wake Forest and Northwestern in coming days.

Dayton (OH) Chaminade Julienne junior QB Jacob Harrison will be visiting Wake Forest and Northwestern in coming days.

Interesting. A new name for me, but he looks like the type of recruit that could be in the mix for 2016. ESPN ranks him as the #6 dual threat QB in the country and #260 player overall. Has 2,200 yards passing and 950 rushing this year. Currently committed to Akron.

With such a small class for '16, I can see Clawson going after more versatile players. WRs who could become DBs. TEs big enough to move inside if need be. Dual threat QBs that can play RB/WR.

Top visitors for tonight appear to be RB C.J. Freeman and the aforementioned QB Jacob Harrison.

Back