• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

A contact period started yesterday and runs through December 13. We know (from Twitter) that some of the coaches were already on the road yesterday. Coach Scheier was in Columbus, OH for an in-home visit with TE Brandon Chapman. Another coach was in the Savannah, GA area for an in-home visit with Jacquez Williams.

Frustrating as it is, the NCAA did not approve the early signing day that had been planned for mid-December. As a result, Wake will be mostly playing defense until February.

I will be looking for any new 2016 names to come on the radar, but I'm not expecting many. As I've posted previously, I think the staff's shopping list might be down to two spots (which I suspect are 1 TE and 1 WR). Before considering the potential for grayshirts and/or additional attrition, we are by my count already over the 85 scholarship limit (even after the redshirt juniors that are graduating early are removed from the list).

My bigger focus will be looking for info that any of our current commits that may be looking around, especially after some of the new coaching staffs get in place. Wake would appear to be less vulnerable with the recruits that have reportedly signed financial aid agreements and are expected to enroll in January. That list includes Cade Carney (per Twitter), Brandon Chapman (per Twitter), Jamie Newman (per Bill George) and Dom Maggio (per Bill George). Many of the contact restrictions no longer apply to these players.

Last edited:
A contact period started yesterday and runs through December 13. We know (from Twitter) that some of the coaches were already on the road yesterday. Coach Scheier was in Columbus, OH for an in-home visit with TE Brandon Chapman. Another coach was in the Savannah, GA area for an in-home visit with Jacquez Williams.

Frustrating as it is, the NCAA did not approve the early signing day that had been planned for mid-December. As a result, Wake will be mostly playing defense until February.

I will be looking for any new 2016 names to come on the radar, but I'm not expecting many. As I've posted previously, I think the staff's shopping list might be down to two spots (which I suspect are 1 TE and 1 WR). Before considering the potential for grayshirts and/or additional attrition, we are by my count already over the 85 scholarship limit (even after the redshirt juniors that are graduating early are removed from the list).

My bigger focus will be looking for info that any of our current commits that may be looking around, especially after some of the new coaching staffs get in place. Wake would appear to be less vulnerable with the recruits that have reportedly signed financial aid agreements and are expected to enroll in January. That list includes Cade Carney (per Twitter), Brandon Chapman (per Twitter), Jamie Newman (per Bill George) and Dom Maggio (per Bill George). Many of the contact restrictions no longer apply to these players.

Hi 94, surprised you think we may take another WR. We seem to have them in full measure. I would have thought we would be looking for a CB or two, and maybe an OG. We seem thin at the interior of OL in particular. Hope we can flip one or two.

I'm as pumped about Brandon Chapman as any of our commits.
He's a big, strong guy (6'5, 240) and I love his rivals photo.......looks mean and ready to go.
Predicting he'll be a good one to help out and then take over from Serigne.

I think two TE sets would help our running game a lot.

Did we ever confirm what Chapman's back injury was, how serious, what his recovery timeline looks like?

Did we ever confirm what Chapman's back injury was, how serious, what his recovery timeline looks like?

Last I heard he was cleared to play in the final game of the season. The injury was serious enough to cost him most of his senior year though.

The first 2016 offer of the contact period is RB Arkeem Byrd (Savannah, GA). Byrd looks like a guy who improved his stock during his senior season. Minnesota, Colorado State and Georgia Southern (sigh) are all heavily involved and have been for a couple of months. It looks like Boston College and Wake are now trying to get in the picture with him as well.

Byrd was just named Region 1-AAA offensive player of the year in Georgia. Going into the season he had offers from schools like Troy, App State and Kennesaw State.

I am surprised that we offered another RB in this class.

The first 2016 offer of the contact period is RB Arkeem Byrd (Savannah, GA). Byrd looks like a guy who improved his stock during his senior season. Minnesota, Colorado State and Georgia Southern (sigh) are all heavily involved and have been for a couple of months. It looks like Boston College and Wake are now trying to get in the picture with him as well.

Byrd was just named Region 1-AAA offensive player of the year in Georgia. Going into the season he had offers from schools like Troy, App State and Kennesaw State.

I am surprised that we offered another RB in this class.

But with Wakefield gone, doesn't this only leave us with Cade Carney in this class?

Byrd's write-up on ESPN sounds just like Wakefield's. Good potential, needs development. Claw went out to get pass rushers and we saw why as the season unfolded. Our depth isn't great at CB and G/C, but RB must be a bigger priority.

Are we still recruiting Wakefield?

Can't tell for sure yet, but I don't think so. As far as I can tell Vanderbilt is the only school involved. They have gone back and forth about taking another RB in the class. If they do take another, I expect it will be Wakefield. If they don't take him, it will be very interesting to see where he lands.

One new item that I learned on new RB target Arkeem Byrd. He has already taken official visits to Minnesota and Colorado State. Now he will have to decide how many more official visits to take. Boston College, Wake Forest, Georgia Southern and Cincinnati would all be possibilities to get visits.

It is noteworthy that we are locking horns again with Minnesota and Georgia Southern. Just like last December. It's becoming sort of a holiday tradition.

One new item that I learned on new RB target Arkeem Byrd. He has already taken official visits to Minnesota and Colorado State. Now he will have to decide how many more official visits to take. Boston College, Wake Forest, Georgia Southern and Cincinnati would all be possibilities to get visits.

It is noteworthy that we are locking horns again with Minnesota and Georgia Southern. Just like last December. It's becoming sort of a holiday tradition.

That's a strange combination of schools for us to be competing with. Can't think of much these 2 have in common other than there both in the US and have football teams.

Wake is involved with VT decommit WR Phil Patterson. VT is still involved. Patterson is a guy that Wake has been recruiting for a year. Probably a longshot, but Wake's chances would go up if they get an official visit. He is a friend/acquaintance of LaRonde Liverpool.

Interesting. 247 says Fuente spoke to him on Tuesday. His latest tweet from yesterday is "I hate being pressured."

Interesting. 247 says Fuente spoke to him on Tuesday. His latest tweet from yesterday is "I hate being pressured."

Conjecture like 'are you with us or not' from Fuente....

Wake is involved with VT decommit WR Phil Patterson. VT is still involved. Patterson is a guy that Wake has been recruiting for a year. Probably a longshot, but Wake's chances would go up if they get an official visit. He is a friend/acquaintance of LaRonde Liverpool.

This kid from our local high school hasn't received any offers that I'm aware of. Isn't he quicker than any of our running backs and couldn't he help us?

I'm not a great judge of how high-school talent translates to the ACC so would appreciate your opinion.

http://prepforce.com/video/8233/2016-rb-db-quintyn-reeder-2015-mid-season-highlights?AVS=lhilwenez

Zander Zimmer and Bishop Moore won 28-14 and will play for the state championship next weekend.

Christian Beal and E. Forsyth lost a heartbreaker, 41-38. The lead by 8 with less than a minute to play and wound up losing in OT. Beal had a 14-yard TD run.

Greg Dortch and Tra Redd both play their state seminfinal games on Saturday afternoon.

Back