• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Virginia had the 21st best offense in the country last year. When they had the ball they scored more often than all but 20 teams in the country. They got the right Results (wins) 30 out of 37 times.

ppg is a horrible predictor of what will happen when two teams play each other.

I'll just add that Wake averaged 70 points per game last year and Virginia averaged 66 points per game.

Virginia had the 21st best offense in the country last year. When they had the ball they scored more often than all but 20 teams in the country. They got the right Results (wins) 30 out of 37 times.

ppg is a horrible predictor of what will happen when two teams play each other.

Kids don't give a shit about that. They care about running up and down the court. If a team walks the ball up and doesn't score many points, they will less interested in playing for that team.

If you don't have better players, you have to get some luck to make if far.

As I said in an earlier post, Bennett is a better version of Dave Odom. Odom had records like that, but he couldn't even get over the hump with the nation's best player.

When you hold the ball long enough that your team scores 8-17 fewer ppg than your Top 10 opponents, you have to be more perfect to beat them. You have less margin of error.

How far did the #1 seeded UVA go last year?

I apologize for giving RJ the ammunition, guys.

It's looking like the perfect time to launch my kickstarter to send RJ and a dedicated documentary filmmaker (basically someone on the boards with a camera) to a SABR convention or the Sloan Sports Conference.

RJ, seriously, would you do this?

I think we are in a better position going forward with Danny than UVA is with their style of play. The best kids don't want to play slowly.

Bennett will have a great career at UVA but has a lower ceiling in postseason.

It's looking like the perfect time to launch my kickstarter to send RJ and a dedicated documentary filmmaker (basically someone on the boards with a camera) to a SABR convention or the Sloan Sports Conference.

RJ, seriously, would you do this?

Depends on the scheduling.

I was kinda surprised that AZ was the lowest scoring team in the Top 10. But then I thought about it and Nick Johnson was really their only outside threat.

Other AZ even Michigan (who plays in the walk it up and bang Big We Can't Count) averaged 75 ppg.

Do you guys really think 16, 17, 18 yo kids give a K's ass about KenPom or other computer stats? Or do you think they think UVA scores 65 ppg, Nova scores 78.5ppg, KY scores 76.4, Duke scores 79.1ppg?

Who cares if it's an indicator? It's about getting the best players.

2016 guard Kyle Guy (#50 in 247 Composite) committed to UVA. If Tony Bennett can get top 100 guys on the regular, hoo boy.

Depends on the scheduling.

I was kinda surprised that AZ was the lowest scoring team in the Top 10. But then I thought about it and Nick Johnson was really their only outside threat.

Other AZ even Michigan (who plays in the walk it up and bang Big We Can't Count) averaged 75 ppg.

Do you guys really think 16, 17, 18 yo kids give a K's ass about KenPom or other computer stats? Or do you think they think UVA scores 65 ppg, Nova scores 78.5ppg, KY scores 76.4, Duke scores 79.1ppg?

Who cares if it's an indicator? It's about getting the best players.

Mods, is it possible to have a thread that eventually just becomes automated, reposting everyone's comments on a continuous loop, except for RJ who can just keep posting into eternity. We can title it the Hamster Wheel and regardless of what thread RJ clicks on he's directed there.

Danny is going for Burger Boys.

You keep not reading that I say Bennett will have a great career. I think his ceiling is lower.

Call me when he gets a Burger Boy. I think Danny's style will get some and then the game is on.

I think we are in a better position going forward with Danny than UVA is with their style of play. The best kids don't want to play slowly.

Bennett will have a great career at UVA but has a lower ceiling in postseason.

You realize it's a little batty to say we're in a better position with Danny than UVA is with Tony when Danny won 21 games last year and Tony won 30.

Well, that's just blind homerism. Bennett has proven a ton more as a coach than Manning has at this point. If Bennett can get 4-year guys ranked in the 50-75 range (which he's proven he can), they will be conference title and deep postseason run contenders for as long as Bennett is there. He's that good of a defensive coach.

Last time I checked Manning hasn't brought in any burger boys, so I'm not sure why you're talking about it like it's some foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
Well, that's just blind homerism. Bennett has proven a ton more as a coach than Manning has at this point. If Bennett can get 4-year guys ranked in the 50-75 range (which he's proven he can), they will be conference title and deep postseason run contenders for as long as Bennett is there. He's that good of a defensive coach.

He's made one Sweet 16 at UVA. That was as a #1 Seed and lost.

If we want top out there, Bennett would likely be the #1 choice in the country.

Even after winning the ACC and being a #1 Seed, only two Top 25 ESPN list UVA (one doesn't have an offer and Kobi Simmons).

Either abstract doesn't mean what I think it means or RJ's understanding of tempo is off. I'll leave both possibilities open for the time being.

Back