• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Yeah, this is the only reason I can see him going elsewhere. This is also the reason I hope he doesn't get wind of all the "he doesn't have to be on a scholarship b/c of his dad" talk. He likely wants to be recruited for his own merits, not just b/c his dad can get a family discount.

There's also the possibility that we simply land a more talented recruit at his position and he wants to go elsewhere for more guaranteed playing time.

Hoping Lil Chill walks on has nothing to do with with being recruited for his own merits. I'm sure that possibility has at least been discussed with him at some point.

I was talking to some Hoo fans about Manning's recruiting. They were very complimentary saying that our whole staff is out working every other staff on the East Coast. They also mentioned that they thought Ty Graves was ours if he we want him.

They also mentioned that we were a serious contender for Giles without me prompting them. So others around the conference that are paying attention have taken note of that recruitment.

Nice. It's good to have players wanting to come to Wake again. Graves looks good, and with the GSO Page connection, no surprise he's interested, but we only need so many PG's. I love all the optimism with Harry as well, let's get it done!

His dad is maybe the second or third biggest ulterior motive for recruiting him.

He looks like fine player on his own merits. He has the chance to do what his dad did. Come in with a highly regarded class and bring Wake back.

There is/was virtually no chance we could take Brandon as some sort of "walk-on". Once we started to recruit him at all, it meant he would count against our scholarships if he attends Wake.

The more I look at Kwe's film/highlights the more and more I'm liking him as a combo guard for us. He's got a pretty good shot, and his defense is fantastic. He would wreak havoc on a PG or even slightly larger SG if they were trying to get their shot off.

Basically, he's more than a dunking machine but that doesn't hurt at all. Hope we get him...

There is/was virtually no chance we could take Brandon as some sort of "walk-on". Once we started to recruit him at all, it meant he would count against our scholarships if he attends Wake.

Are you implying that there's a rule that requires a scholarship be given to anyone we recruit? I thought this was discussed and debunked a while ago regarding little Chill?

His dad is maybe the second or third biggest ulterior motive for recruiting him.

He looks like fine player on his own merits. He has the chance to do what his dad did. Come in with a highly regarded class and bring Wake back.

Of course, his dad was the 2nd highest rated recruit in that class (and probably a snub for the McDAA game that year). Brandon Childress, to this point, hasn't demonstrated that level of ability. But he may explode over his junior year, especially if he has any growing yet to do.

Are you implying that there's a rule that requires a scholarship be given to anyone we recruit? I thought this was discussed and debunked a while ago regarding little Chill?

Once you begin to "recruit" a player, which officially starts in 9th grade, whether the player actually is on scholarship or pays his own way, it still counts against your scholarship limit. "Recruiting" I believe implies any in person contact, written correspondence, phone calls etc etc.

I guess it is possible that the rule is different when it involves a child, but I doubt it.

Once you begin to "recruit" a player, which officially starts in 9th grade, whether the player actually is on scholarship or pays his own way, it still counts against your scholarship limit. "Recruiting" I believe implies any in person contact, written correspondence, phone calls etc etc.

I guess it is possible that the rule is different when it involves a child, but I doubt it.

I'd like to see that rule. Because that is not how it worked with Melchionni at dook. Nor did it impact Jackson Simmons at UNC.

By that definition, there would be no such thing as a preferred walk-on in football. There are many examples of kickers in football that are recruited but aren't given a scholarship until a season or so later. Are the rules somehow different for basketball?

Of course, his dad was the 2nd highest rated recruit in that class (and probably a snub for the McDAA game that year). Brandon Childress, to this point, hasn't demonstrated that level of ability. But he may explode over his junior year, especially if he has any growing yet to do.

Randolph was the #2 player overall in his class? Is that right?

I'd like to see that rule. Because that is not how it worked with Melchionni at dook. Nor did it impact Jackson Simmons at UNC.

Counters are normally any student-athlete who receives an athletic scholarship, partial or full. But in sports like football and basketball, counters also include any student-athlete who was recruited and who receives financial aid from the school. This is to prevent abuse by schools who might have “walk-ons” who were recruited then given “non-athletic” scholarships from the financial aid office.

In NCAA-speak, recruited does not mean what it normally means. A prospect is recruited for financial aid purposes if one of the following things happens:
◾A coach has in-person contact with the prospect off-campus;
◾The prospect takes an official visit to the campus; or
◾The school sent the prospect a National Letter of Intent or other written athletic scholarship offer.

Because of this definition, there’s a lot of recruiting that can happen without a prospect being considered “recruited”:
◾Coaches can evaluate prospects any number of times.
◾Coaches can call prospects any number of times.
◾Prospects can take unlimited unofficial visits to the campus.
◾Coaches can make verbal scholarship offers to prospects.

So both sides are correct. Strictly speaking if a player is recruited and then receives financial aid, they count against scholarship limits. But the definition of recruited is specific so there are ways to get around it. Or if the parents pay the cost of attending the school with no help from the school then the player does not count against the limit.

Last edited:
Answered my own question: NO. In fact, there are recent examples of basketball players going from scholarship to walk-on to free up additional scholarships:
http://archive.freep.com/article/20...ic-Chris-Smith-walk-on-to-help-Louisville-win
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...reighton-bluejays-gets-sixth-year-eligibility

In each of those examples the parents had to pay the full cost of attending school for them to not be counted against the limit. The second case is directly applicable to Brandon in that the article says if the student were eligible for a parents employee discount, they could not use it or it would count against the limit.

The only difference between an official visit and an unofficial visit is that the school pays for an official visit, correct?

In each of those examples the parents had to pay the full cost of attending school for them to not be counted against the limit. The second case is directly applicable to Brandon in that the article says if the student were eligible for a parents employee discount, they could not use it or it would count against the limit.

Ok, that makes sense. Of course you can't bring in a kid as a walk-on and stick him on an academic scholarship. I didn't realize that extended to family discount, so that's new info. But that's a very different set of circumstances than what Tin Cup was implying.

So both sides are correct. Strictly speaking if a player is recruited and then receives financial aid, they count against scholarship limits. But the definition of recruited is specific so there are ways to get around it.

So it seems that Chill 2.0 could come to Wake, enjoy his dad's discount and not count against our scholarship limit as long as we don't visit him off-campus, pay for an official visit or send him any written offers. Seems easy enough, assuming that the "off-campus visits" have a provision for family members. Just gotta make sure no coaches come over to the Chill house for dinner.

Back