• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

This statement is going to be unpopular but it's true:

If Brandon wasn't Chill's son and didn't play on the same team as Harry and Kwe most of the people on this board would be furious if we were talking about giving him a scholarship.

That being said, He is Chill's son (which means at the very least he will play hard and smart) and he has experience playing with talented teammates that we hope to land. Hopefully he will continue to grow and develop his dad's killer instinct and killer shot. If not then we will have a rock solid back-up point guard and that's more than worth a scholarship.

I want the kid. Period. Not if something else, or not because of something else. The kid is a winner who would be a great Deacon.

Your reading comprehension is as bad as your memory and your typing. Do you really have no ability to read critically or recognize context? Nobody on this board thinks that Childress was the #2 player in the nation coming out of high school, yet, you can't wait to misread half of the thread and correct someone who says he was #2 in his class when they clearly meant the Wake Forest recruiting class.

When people who are trying to carry on an intelligent conversation constantly have to talk to you like you're eight years old and correct you for interjecting incorrect and argumentative statements, the thread becomes about you. Maybe you've witnessed this phenomenon in public when two adults are trying to talk about dinner and the eight-year old is constantly interrupting and saying he doesn't like any of their suggestions. Eventually the adults have to chastise the child and tell him that he's not a part of the conversation and that he's not helping. Figure out which part of this story pertains to you.

Quit poking RJ. Let's have a civil thread about WFU basketball preseason.

Your reading comprehension is as bad as your memory and your typing. Do you really have no ability to read critically or recognize context? Nobody on this board thinks that Childress was the #2 player in the nation coming out of high school, yet, you can't wait to misread half of the thread and correct someone who says he was #2 in his class when they clearly meant the Wake Forest recruiting class.

When people who are trying to carry on an intelligent conversation constantly have to talk to you like you're eight years old and correct you for interjecting incorrect and argumentative statements, the thread becomes about you. Maybe you've witnessed this phenomenon in public when two adults are trying to talk about dinner and the eight-year old is constantly interrupting and saying he doesn't like any of their suggestions. Eventually the adults have to chastise the child and tell him that he's not a part of the conversation and that he's not helping. Figure out which part of this story pertains to you.

Sorry, Biff, I really like your posts, but I did indeed ask whether Childress was #2 player in his class. It was posted that he was, which I found surprising. The person just meant that he was the #2 player in his class to Wake Forest behind Rodney Rogers. I had forgotten that Rogers and Childress were in the same class, which would have made it more understandable. Rj really just provided a simple answer to the question. rj has his quirks for sure, but he's a good guy who is willing to help out Wake grads and who knows a good deal about hoops. People need to lay off him a little imho.

It really is unbelievable and hilarious at the same time. Be easy on our fellow Deac faithful... There aren't many of us. We all want the same thing. That is for Harry Giles to become a Deac and for us to win games. B-Chill looks to be a solid player. I imagine he will end up being recruited a little heavier over the next few months.

Harry Giles 247 "Warm" schools: Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Wake. We've been big players in the recruitment for a while, glad it's becoming nationally recognized.

It will be interesting to see how Giles, Kwe, and Chill mesh at Wesleyan. After all, they've yet to play a real game together.

I want little chill. His size is a risk but it is worth it. He can fill it up. Worst case scenario he is an instant offense guy off the bench by his junior year. Best case scenario he is a mini chill. You give those guys the benefit of the doubt IMO. Whether we get Giles or not I would want to take the leap on Brandon.

Does anyone know what Chill's size stats were entering his junior year? It's conceivable they were about the same as Brandon's.

I hope we land Lil Chill as well. But it would help if he grew a few more inches. Until it's no longer tenable, I will cling to the pipe dream that that we get Kwe, Smith jr, Lil Chill, Giles and Tatum.

I hope we land Lil Chill as well. But it would help if he grew a few more inches. Until it's no longer tenable, I will cling to the pipe dream that that we get Kwe, Smith jr, Lil Chill, Giles and Tatum.

Yeah....not happening. I do, however think it's somewhat realistic that we could get Kwe, Brandon and Giles. Dennis Smith, Jr. and Kwe I don't see as playing together and Tatum has Kansas written all over him, IMHO...

Last edited:
Also have to keep in mind that Chill Sr., because he is a parent of a current player, has a much higher level of access to the Weslyan team activities/players without tripping any NCAA rules/regs as long as he appropriately carries himself as an interested, caring parent rather than as a representative of Wake athletics. That level of visibility and adult role modeling is an edge that UNC, Duke, Ky, etc. will not have over the next 9-12 months.

It isn't like Randolph is 6'4. He's lucky if he's 6'2. I think people get a little hung up on 6'4" vs. 6'1". In reality there are a host of other more important factors to a players effectiveness. If a kid is over 6'0" they can compete at the one or two in college basketball.

Yeah....not happening. I do, however think it's somewhat realistic that we could get Kwe, Brandon and Giles. Dennis Smith, Jr. and Kew I don't see as playing together and Tatum has Kansas written all over him, IMHO...

Hence why I used the phrase pipe dream.

It isn't like Randolph is 6'4. He's lucky if he's 6'2. I think people get a little hung up on 6'4" vs. 6'1". In reality there are a host of other more important factors to a players effectiveness. If a kid is over 6'0" they can compete at the one or two in college basketball.

Unless he's grown which is possible, Brandon is 5'10 not 6'0.

Hence why I used the phrase pipe dream.

Of course, was just commenting. And believe it or not, I actually think Kwe and Dennis Smith on a team with Crawford wouldn't be effective. I'd much rather get a big time SG than another PG in addition to Brandon if he commits to the Deacs.

Regardless, the way 2015 has turned out gives me hope for the future. If we can have a decent run this year and win some games we shouldn't and show improvement, I think we will be a legit contender in the ACC come 2015-2016 and be a tourney team. Certainly would not have said that six months ago...

I could see Childress as a Tyrese Rice type player

I was just thinking that. Dude always lit us up.

Guaranteed if we don't take BChill and he goes to another ACC school, he drops 30+ on us at least 4 times.

The problem with the Rice comparison is Rice was noticably faster.

BBall Recruiting Megathread 2k16 - Crawford/Moore/Collins to Wake! Your move,...

I saw BChill play 3 games at the NC Top 80 last Spring before I really knew anything about his game. My biggest takeaway at that point was that he had great court vision and absolutely seemed to be a true point guard. Since then he's obviously been at Wake elite camp hitting 8 3s in one half so it has become clear he's a shooter as well. However, I wouldn't automatically assume he's a Coron Williams undersized 2. He has legit PG skill.

Back