• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 NASCAR Thread - Congrats Kyle Busch

I know they're in Florida, but don't these people have to work tomorrow?

Can't believe they're going to start this race now.

I know they're in Florida, but don't these people have to work tomorrow?

I can't believe it either that they are starting it this late. I'm glad that they are close because there is only so many times that I can watch the personal interest stories in one night. I promise I saw the wife one 3 times tonight. Guess I will fall asleep watching and then wake up to see who wins. I won't make it through the race.

I would imagine part of the crowd numbers is because Daytona is such a destination race. Everyone wants to go. I would imagine a good number in attendance are tourist and not locals.

I just happened to wake up for the green white finish. The big wreck happened as jr crossed the finish line. Austin Dillon ended up in the catch finish with a demolished car. I can't believe he was able to walk on his on two feet. I'm not a superstitious person, but the needs to put him in another number. At Daytona and this wreck, to watch all the pit crews go running to the cars just made my stomach do flips.

Debris hit three fans in the grandstand

Minor injuries to 3 in Grandstands. This isn't racing. It's chaos.

Chaos is accurate but still not strong enough. Watching the replay it scary to see how austins car just went vertical.

I'm honestly shocked that fence held up. that is tremendous engineering and probably saved about 50 lives.

Couldn't stay up to watch last night, so I'm watching it now. I'm glad I took today as a vacation day. With the 4th festivities and assuming there may be weather at Daytona, I decided last week to take it off.

I stayed up to watch the race. As a Junior fan, I felt that he had an excellent shot at winning and wanted to see it live in the event that he did. I was definitely rewarded for staying up.

It is indeed a miracle that Austin Dillon walked away from that carnage. It is an equal miracle that no fans were seriously injured. NASCAR deserves a lot of praise for their efforts to ensure driver and spectator safety. Had this happened a few years ago, there definitely would have been a major tragedy.

For those that didn't notice it at first, his wave was a tribute to Lane Frost who used to do it to let his family know he was ok after getting thrown from a bull.

Reactions: ONW
For those that didn't notice it at first, his wave was a tribute to Lane Frost who used to do it to let his family know he was ok after getting thrown from a bull.

Thanks for that info, at the time I wasn't sure if he was telling the crowd to quiet down or what (looked kinda like a QB at the line of scrimmage). Nobody on TV said anything about it, but glad to know the backstory.

Thanks for that info, at the time I wasn't sure if he was telling the crowd to quiet down or what (looked kinda like a QB at the line of scrimmage). Nobody on TV said anything about it, but glad to know the backstory.
0abfb1f446ec9ad0c14b9a223239140c.jpg

Junior's unedited audio from last night. Warning, it has some nsfw language.

Further proof that Junior is as genuine as they come.

PS. Matt Dibenedetto nearly took Austin Dillon's engine to the face. He sounded pretty freaked out about it even today.

YQWGkaHl.jpg

Last edited:
Further proof that Junior is as genuine as they come.

Totally agree, and that is why I am such a big fan of him. He just won a huge race, but there is not one bit of enthusiasm about that in his voice. Instead, he is deeply concerned about the safety and welfare of his fellow drivers and the fans in the stands.

That's racin' was discussing this today.

Now that it's been almost 24 hours later, I'm wondering why they ran that race so late. He drivers came out at the start way too aggressive as if it was the final four laps. It was late. Several drivers have mentioned how the rain delay wore them down mentally. I think that in itself was a bad decision. Just move it to Monday. Granted none of this may have prevented that wreck but I think it possible it could have played a role. This could be a case of the perfect storm but NASCAR needs to reflect on how to prevent this.

I will say that the fact that Austin is alive and walked away is a testament to the improved technology and safety.

They do need to closely look at what to do to protect the spectators. Larry McReynolds has come out recommending that rows be removed to add greater distance. I would be curious to know where the injured spectators were seated. We're they front row or fifteen rowa up equal to the top of the catch fence.

That's racin' was discussing this today.

Now that it's been almost 24 hours later, I'm wondering why they ran that race so late. He drivers came out at the start way too aggressive as if it was the final four laps. It was late. Several drivers have mentioned how the rain delay wore them down mentally. I think that in itself was a bad decision. Just move it to Monday. Granted none of this may have prevented that wreck but I think it possible it could have played a role. This could be a case of the perfect storm but NASCAR needs to reflect on how to prevent this.

I will say that the fact that Austin is alive and walked away is a testament to the improved technology and safety.

They do need to closely look at what to do to protect the spectators. Larry McReynolds has come out recommending that rows be removed to add greater distance. I would be curious to know where the injured spectators were seated. We're they front row or fifteen rowa up equal to the top of the catch fence.

I'm not saying I don't understand your perspective (I totally do)... but you've got some serious tunnel vision on the issue.

NASCAR gets praise on this one. Not second guessing.

I've never known a driver to be effected by what you're saying was dangerous. This includes teams I've been with doing 24s with very inexperienced guys.

Levegh wasn't short on sleep. More than 84 die last night without spectacular engineering on the safety side of things. Instead, 0 lasting injuries yet people are still questioning the sanctioning bodies.

Shut that race down & run it during a weekday after a holiday. See how much money is still there to fund the engineering that saved lives. See how that works out.

I'm not saying I don't understand your perspective (I totally do)... but you've got some serious tunnel vision on the issue.

NASCAR gets praise on this one. Not second guessing.

I've never known a driver to be effected by what you're saying was dangerous. This includes teams I've been with doing 24s with very inexperienced guys.

Levegh wasn't short on sleep. More than 84 die last night without spectacular engineering on the safety side of things. Instead, 0 lasting injuries yet people are still questioning the sanctioning bodies.

Shut that race down & run it during a weekday after a holiday. See how much money is still there to fund the engineering that saved lives. See how that works out.

Jimmie Johnson has been quoted in four articles that I have read today saying how the delay affected him and others. I wasn't pulling that out of no where. Jeff Gordon was also quoted in a different article saying that.

I've talked with a direct relative of a driver that is a friend of mine. That driver also told her and his family the same thing. I didn't prompt it. I texted to check on her and the driver and she was sharing me his thoughts.

Jimmie Johnson has been quoted in four articles that I have read today saying how the delay affected him and others. I wasn't pulling that out of no where. Jeff Gordon was also quoted in a different article saying that.

I've talked with a direct relative of a driver that is a friend of mine. That driver also told her and his family the same thing. I didn't prompt it. I texted to check on her and the driver and she was sharing me his thoughts.

It may have affected them during cautions and after the race. Top level drivers can deal with the adverse conditions of a rain delay. Fans are way more fickle. If you start making decisions (like running the race on Monday) when it could be run late on Sunday.... Money will flow away from the operations. What does NASCAR give up first in those circumstances? Speed or Safety. It ain't gonna be Speed.

Last edited:
Back