• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Wake redshirt freshman Alan Gadjiev is playing a futures tourney in Egypt. He won 3 qualifying matches and has now won 3 main draw matches to reach the semifinals.

Great run by Gadjiev. He looks like he will be able to jump in at the bottom of our lineup next year. He is back in action a direct entry into the main draw in Egypt this week where he will play Aziz Dougaz, a rising sophomore at FSU. Romo beat Dougaz in 3 sets last year.

Also, last week, Tunisia (Mansouri) beat Bulgaria (Alex Lazarov) 3-2 in Davis Cup. Skander won his dubs match with Malek Jaziri over Alex Lazarov in straight sets. Alex lost his first singles match to Jaziri a top 100 player 6-4, 6-4, 6-1, but rebounded to beat Dougaz (same player as above) 7-6 in the 3rd set.

The Winston-Salem Open starts Saturday with qualifying. I'm interested to see if any Wake players get main draw wild card spots. My guess is that they will not, but that several will play in qualifying. I do think Mansouri and Seraphim could get a doubles WC slot in the main draw, as they did last year. I'm also looking forward to seeing the new additions to the tennis center - permanent seats were added overlooking the 6 college courts.

No Deacs in the main draw, but 3 in the qualifying. Chrysochos plays at noon and Mansouri and Uspensky play about 3:00 (after noon matches end) Saturday.

Petros won his first match 6-4, ret. over the #261 player in the world. He plays again tomorrow at 3 pm to try to make the main draw.

Mansouri and Uspensky both lost in 3 sets. Uspensky played a great first set - he was routinely hitting 120 mph first serves.

Mansouri and Seraphim got a main draw wild card in dubs and will likely play Monday.

I don't see them on the schedule - will they play tomorrow?

They are not on the schedule for Monday (today), so they will almost certainly play Tuesday.

Petros lost yesterday. He was beaten pretty soundly, though when watching him play it's clear he has the ground strokes to play professionally. He also had Baghdatis there supporting him during his match.

Weather is looking great for this week. Some good matches set for today, with young Americans Fritz and Tiafoe playing each other and #1 seed Gasquet also playing on center court.

Back