• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Yall want to get updates on my 4.0 singles league too? Won 4&2 last night after facing a 2-4, 0-40 hole. Get some.

3e34cf165876954c5fb103602c3cb8f5.jpg

I think the head coach is, by far, the most important variable in college sports. After that I think the next most important variable is facilities, and then it's a mixture of location, history, and academics. The head coach and facilities combination allows for excellence in recruiting, which is the lifeblood of college sports. This is why if you put a bad coach in charge of UNC basketball (Doherty) they go 8-20, or in charge of UK basketball they get routed by Gardner-Webb and go to the NIT (Gillispie), or you put a great coach in charge of Butler (Stevens) and they go to back-to-back NCAA final games. In tennis, Boland took over a terrible UVA program and made them in to the top program in college tennis (they have won 3 of the past 4 national championships). Roddick did something similar at OU, taking a mediocre program and making them elite, with 3 straight NCAA final match appearances. I think a "top job" in college tennis is one with support of the administration, great facilities, and a top coach - both UCF and Wake have that right now.

Eh, I think you're overstating facilities importance. Look at UNC. They don't have a top 5 coach on the men's side and their facilities are nothing special. But they still get good players because of the prestige of the school, etc.

Eh, I think you're overstating facilities importance. Look at UNC. They don't have a top 5 coach on the men's side and their facilities are nothing special. But they still get good players because of the prestige of the school, etc.

The coach at UNC has been there over 20 years, has the most wins of any active coach in the league, and has been ACC coach of the year 6 times. Their top assistant was just named the national assistant of the year. They have a great coaching staff. They also have a really nice tennis complex with 12 outdoor courts and 6 indoor courts, all at the same site. The spectator seating is great both outdoors and indoors. Their combo of great coaching and facilities is what makes their program good.

The 2017 ITA Indoor site draft took place today. Wake will host GA State, Auburn, and Nebraska, which is a pretty favorable collection of teams. The head coach at GA State is Brett Ross, who played at Wake and was an assistant coach at Wake prior to going to GA State. He has done well there, and if Bresky were to leave I would think Ross would be an excellent option. Here are all the pods for the tourney http://www.itatennis.com/Events/Kick-OffWeekend/2017_Mens_Kickoff_Draft_Breakdown.htm

Lazarov with a 6-1, 1-0 ret. win this morning to advance to the quarters of the Bulgaria Futures this week. He has a very winnable match in the morning.

Qualies for the WS Futures starts on Saturday. Both Jon Ho and Dennis Uspensky are entered into the qualies, but I wouldn't be surprised if both got WCs into the main draw and/or other current players. We'll see.

UNC Facilities Dated

The UNC outdoor courts are nice with the adequate seating for fans to see the courts easily, at least on part of their courts.

But the UNC courts and seating are dated. The courts were built with only 12 feet dividing the courts. The standard is now 24 feet, which is what Wake has. With dividers. This means that balls from side courts don't interfere with play, ever. UNC's courts cannot claim this advantage and will have to be completely redone to bring them up to date.

And soon Wake will have more than adequate and very good seating in back of the courts for its fans to have great view of all the courts, 1 through 6. The new seating should be built in time for the WS Open.

I think because of the new and up to date facilities, both courts and seating, Wake will host the NCAA's in 2018, HB2 willing.

The 2017 ITA Indoor site draft took place today. Wake will host GA State, Auburn, and Nebraska, which is a pretty favorable collection of teams. The head coach at GA State is Brett Ross, who played at Wake and was an assistant coach at Wake prior to going to GA State. He has done well there, and if Bresky were to leave I would think Ross would be an excellent option. Here are all the pods for the tourney http://www.itatennis.com/Events/Kick-OffWeekend/2017_Mens_Kickoff_Draft_Breakdown.htm

No team in the top 40 picked to go to us. Massive respect. But on the flip side not great because we won't get wins that help our ranking

Last edited:
The UNC outdoor courts are nice with the adequate seating for fans to see the courts easily, at least on part of their courts.

But the UNC courts and seating are dated. The courts were built with only 12 feet dividing the courts. The standard is now 24 feet, which is what Wake has. With dividers. This means that balls from side courts don't interfere with play, ever. UNC's courts cannot claim this advantage and will have to be completely redone to bring them up to date.

And soon Wake will have more than adequate and very good seating in back of the courts for its fans to have great view of all the courts, 1 through 6. The new seating should be built in time for the WS Open.

I think because of the new and up to date facilities, both courts and seating, Wake will host the NCAA's in 2018, HB2 willing.

Yes, that was my point....our facilities are nicer than UNC's and our coach is better than them, but they still beat us for recruits at least as often as we beat them. Ergo facilities are not one of the two most important things for a program

A few updates:

Today was the first round of the futures pro tourney at Wake. Uspensky won his first match in 3 sets. Uspensky and Jon Ho both won doubles matches. Max Kan and Ho play singles tomorrow.

I've read rumors that head assistant Jeremy Feldman is going to be the head coach at UNCC. I've also read that Eric Rutledge is transferring to Rice.

A few updates:

Today was the first round of the futures pro tourney at Wake. Uspensky won his first match in 3 sets. Uspensky and Jon Ho both won doubles matches. Max Kan and Ho play singles tomorrow.

I've read rumors that head assistant Jeremy Feldman is going to be the head coach at UNCC. I've also read that Eric Rutledge is transferring to Rice.

Alex Lazarov lost in the semis in Bulgaria last week but picked up another 6 ATP points. He should be in the 900s next Monday when the new rankings are out. It looks like he is taking the week off from the ATP tour.

This week, as Rafi mentioned above, the US Futures is on Wake's campus. Great opportunity for WFU to give WCs to our players.

Dennis won in 3 sets yesterday vs a Brit who was a former #1 at UAB. Jon Ho won 6-1 in the 3rd today against Korey Lovett a top player at Alabama. Former Deac, David Hopkins, who appears to be back playing some, lost 7-6, 6-2 to a rising soph from UGA, and Max Kan lost 0 and 3 to Eric Quigley a former #1 player from Kentucky.

Dennis and Johnny both have tough singles matches tomorrow. I expect to see Skander and Petros to start showing up in Futures draws next week or the week after. Unfortunately, I also read that Eric Rutledge has transferred to Rice. Somewhat surprised, but it's possible that he knew from talking to Tony and Jeremy that he wasn't going to be in the top 6 next year. Still I hate to lose him, b/c I thought he had potential to play 6 next year and depth is key. That 6 spot now looks like Gadjiev or Kan, unless we sign someone else.

I have not seen or read anything about Jeremy going to UNCC. I would be surprised about this, but it is certainly possible. Rafi, can you post a link to where you saw that?

IMissRandolph; Dennis and Johnny both have tough singles matches tomorrow. I expect to see Skander and Petros to start showing up in Futures draws next week or the week after. Unfortunately said:
I wasn't overly surprised about Rutledge. It seemed to me that he may not have fit in that well with the team.

I saw the speculation about Feldman in the comments section of an article by Bobby Knight (college tennis blogger).

Dennis fell 6-3, 6-3 to Peter Polansky today, the 6th seed from Canada.

Jon Ho fell 6-3, 6-3 to Alex Kuznetsov, the 7th seed.

Dennis is in the dubs semis later today.

Alex Lazarov lost in the semis in Bulgaria last week but picked up another 6 ATP points. He should be in the 900s next Monday when the new rankings are out. It looks like he is taking the week off from the ATP tour.

This week, as Rafi mentioned above, the US Futures is on Wake's campus. Great opportunity for WFU to give WCs to our players.

Dennis won in 3 sets yesterday vs a Brit who was a former #1 at UAB. Jon Ho won 6-1 in the 3rd today against Korey Lovett a top player at Alabama. Former Deac, David Hopkins, who appears to be back playing some, lost 7-6, 6-2 to a rising soph from UGA, and Max Kan lost 0 and 3 to Eric Quigley a former #1 player from Kentucky.

Dennis and Johnny both have tough singles matches tomorrow. I expect to see Skander and Petros to start showing up in Futures draws next week or the week after. Unfortunately, I also read that Eric Rutledge has transferred to Rice. Somewhat surprised, but it's possible that he knew from talking to Tony and Jeremy that he wasn't going to be in the top 6 next year. Still I hate to lose him, b/c I thought he had potential to play 6 next year and depth is key. That 6 spot now looks like Gadjiev or Kan, unless we sign someone else.

I have not seen or read anything about Jeremy going to UNCC. I would be surprised about this, but it is certainly possible. Rafi, can you post a link to where you saw that?

For a mid-major, Charlotte is actually a decent job. They built a multi-million dollar tennis facility like three years ago. I think there's a lot of potential for a guy like Jeremy to do well there. He would certainly be a massive upgrade over their last coach

It was speculated earlier that Keivon Tabrizi was going to transfer, and it looks like that was correct and he's going to Indiana.

Back