• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

I'd rather not get into names. I was posting it as an example to show that, as in all sports, Wake's admissions requirements sometimes prevent us from being able to get players that other schools can get.

I mean we can go back and forth about this all day, obviously it's far from impossible and Bresky has done a great job of it, but the idea that it's just as easy for Wake to get top foreign guys as say Texas A&M or Ohio State, both from a financial and admissions standpoint, is just not true.

A few years ago we were in on a very good foreign player who had a higher ATP ranking than Rubin had when he committed, but there was just no chance of getting him into school. Now he plays at an SEC school.

True. We'll have to agree to disagree. But I think hosting an ATP event on campus is a huge deal for recruiting the top players and makes Wake an elite tennis option.

The ATP tournament does help a lot I think, especially the opportunity for our guys to play qualies or even get a main draw wild card if they're good enough.

That said, as nice as our facility is, it's not a great facility for college tennis right now compared to some of the other top schools mainly due to the spectator seating situation. Hoping Wake gets this remedied quickly because it looked pretty amateur for the first few years (I know it's a little better this year with some permanent seating, but it still doesn't really measure up to what schools like Duke and NC State have as far as a college tennis setup).

Wake broke Oklahoma's 3 year, 38 match home win streak.

The ATP tournament does help a lot I think, especially the opportunity for our guys to play qualies or even get a main draw wild card if they're good enough.

That said, as nice as our facility is, it's not a great facility for college tennis right now compared to some of the other top schools mainly due to the spectator seating situation. Hoping Wake gets this remedied quickly because it looked pretty amateur for the first few years (I know it's a little better this year with some permanent seating, but it still doesn't really measure up to what schools like Duke and NC State have as far as a college tennis setup).

The tennis.com article linked above, disagrees. It ranks Wake #3 best college facility, Duke #17, and NC State not mentioned at all.

Like I said, it's a great tennis facility. But from a spectator standpoint, it's not great and I don't think the point is very arguable. At Duke, NC State, South Carolina, etc. you can sit in one spot and see what's going on in all of the matches. I was hoping that they would put some permanent elevated seating behind the courts like they had for the practice courts at the Winston-Salem Open, but I don't think that is in the plans

Also it's amateur that we don't have a big scoreboard that has the scores from all of the courts in once place. That's pretty standard for a Power 5 school, and even schools like Elon and Charlotte have them. If you're sitting in the new seating next to Court 1, you have no way of knowing what the score is on Court 6

Last edited:
A little nuts we only moved up one spot when we beat #2 on the road, but #rankingsmindset. We will be higher when they start the computer rankings.

I realize this isn't going to get tons of attention, but when is the last time this team was top 10 in the nation? Ever? We have a good shot to stay there or go up. South Carolina and Tennessee are winnable matches. We are going to play someone ranked higher than us in NTI first round and then go from there so barring a bunch of upsets that shouldn't cause us to go down. A home match vs. Texas Tech on Feb 28 is our toughest opponent (NCSU is improved I think) until late March when we go to FSU and to VTech, and then we play Duke, UNC, and UVA in a row, not in that order. This team has a real shot to go into NCAA's with a high seed.

I would encourage everyone to check out the men's and women's teams. High quality tennis, free admission and Krispy Kreme doughnuts. You can't beat that!

I realize this isn't going to get tons of attention, but when is the last time this team was top 10 in the nation? Ever? We have a good shot to stay there or go up. South Carolina and Tennessee are winnable matches. We are going to play someone ranked higher than us in NTI first round and then go from there so barring a bunch of upsets that shouldn't cause us to go down. A home match vs. Texas Tech on Feb 28 is our toughest opponent (NCSU is improved I think) until late March when we go to FSU and to VTech, and then we play Duke, UNC, and UVA in a row, not in that order. This team has a real shot to go into NCAA's with a high seed.

We were in the top 10 at one point last year I think (I believe as high as 8 maybe?), but before that, it's been awhile

Our high last year was 11. We are in the top 10 for the first time since 2007.

A little nuts we only moved up one spot when we beat #2 on the road, but #rankingsmindset. We will be higher when they start the computer rankings.

To be fair, we lost to the 24(?) ranked team a couple of days before the Oklahoma win.

#10 Wake beats #59 South Carolina 7-0. Deacs looked pretty dominating.

#10 Wake beats #59 South Carolina 7-0. Deacs looked pretty dominating.

Were you there? Scores didn't look terribly impressive - we had three three-setters against a South Carolina team that isn't very good.

Were you there? Scores didn't look terribly impressive - we had three three-setters against a South Carolina team that isn't very good.

Yep, I saw most of it. We won all 3 doubles matches and pretty quickly won at 4, 3, and 5 singles. The only first set we lost was at 1 in a tiebreak. 2 and 6 seemed to lose a little focus in the second sets. So, not as dominating as we were against Tennessee but more so than we were against Auburn.

Women win 7-0 at VCU to go to 6-0 for the third time in program history. They play at #42 William & Mary tomorrow.

The men play at #40 Tennessee tomorrow.

Women win 7-0 at VCU to go to 6-0 for the third time in program history. They play at #42 William & Mary tomorrow.

The men play at #40 Tennessee tomorrow.

Big match for the women tomorrow. It's great to start 6-0, but those wins (other than maybe Tennessee) do nothing to help our ranking get up to the range for getting into the NCAA tournament. We need to get William & Mary, probably South Carolina, and then beat average teams like BC, Virginia Tech and Florida State in the ACC. That's what we haven't been able to do consistently in recent years.

Would have liked to see the non-conference schedule include more matches against teams in the 40-60 range, where wins will actually make a difference in your end-of-season ranking, rather than using dates on the Charleston/Winthrop and Elon/Furman doubleheaders. You can play those teams to get wins (to stay about .500 for NCAA purposes), but it needs to be as the second half of a doubleheader against a team that will give you a countable win.

Back