• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

I know we're not allowed to say this in here, but based on the ranking projections, the NC State loss is the difference between us being #6 and #4 (and playing lower-ranked teams in the NCAA tournament all the way to the semis). You can decide on your own whether that counts as hurting us

I know we're not allowed to say this in here, but based on the ranking projections, the NC State loss is the difference between us being #6 and #4 (and playing lower-ranked teams in the NCAA tournament all the way to the semis). You can decide on your own whether that counts as hurting us

Neither the Big 10 nor B12 tournaments have even started yet, so movement can occur with #4 Ohio State, #5 TCU, and #7 Texas Tech.

Is tennis like basketball where the seventh worst team in the tournament that Wake would theoretically be playing is likely to be a mediocre low to mid major conference champion?

Neither the Big 10 nor B12 tournaments have even started yet, so movement can occur with #4 Ohio State, #5 TCU, and #7 Texas Tech.

Fair enough, though still not relevant to the issue of whether there was potential at the time of the NC State loss for it to hurt us. The fact that it will hurt us if nothing happens is proof enough for that

Is tennis like basketball where the seventh worst team in the tournament that Wake would theoretically be playing is likely to be a mediocre low to mid major conference champion?

It doesn't really work like having 1 play 64, 2 play 63, etc. Not a strict S-curve.

Teams 1-16 are seeded in order. Then teams are grouped into 17-32, 33-48, and 49-64 groups. In assembling the regionals, for the placement of the 17-32 group, the committee tries to hew to an S-curve but the 400-mile NCAA driving limit is taken into account. For example if Team #32 is within 400 miles of #1, it's almost certainly going there. But if it's all the way across the country, it's probably not, and the committee will move on to Team #31 to see if they fit, etc.

Obviously it's inevitable that some teams in the 17-32 group end up having to fly, but they try to minimize it. I remember one year we were like #20 and got screwed by being sent to #1 Virginia because we were the only team within driving range (they've now changed it where teams from the same conference can't be at the same site, which makes for a lot more geographic diversity, and plane trips).

For the 33-48 and 49-64 groups, they may keep the S-curve in mind, but I think geography is emphasized a lot more. The at-large cutoff is usually around 43 or so, which means that everyone in the 49-64 group is a conference champ not otherwise ranked in the top 50 nationally. So the short answer to your question is that we won't necessarily be playing the seventh-worst team, but rather will likely be playing a mid-major champion from somewhere around us (think SoCon, Big South, Sunbelt, etc. champ).

Frankly it doesn't matter - there's no way we lose to a team outside the top 50; the more important question is which team from the 17-32 group gets sent to us. This is another reason why it would have been nice to finish ahead of UNC because we're probably pulling from the same pool of driving distance teams and they are going to get the weaker one. Looking at the driving distance teams right now, Kentucky is the only obvious one I see in the 17-32 group and don't know if they would send them to us with them being ranked #20, but I wouldn't bet against it

If losses weren't taken into account we would be #3 in the country #lossesmatter

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/042616aac.html

In case you guys haven't seen this yet. Tony and Jeremy just inked another top junior player for next year. That's two recruits for next year, plus the two current freshman that are redshirting, and hopefully one more signee for next year yet to come. I know it is hard to believe, but we could be even better next year.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/042616aac.html

In case you guys haven't seen this yet. Tony and Jeremy just inked another top junior player for next year. That's two recruits for next year, plus the two current freshman that are redshirting, and hopefully one more signee for next year yet to come. I know it is hard to believe, but we could be even better next year.

Dang, the Deacs are already reloading!

There is also an update on the tennis center construction http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/042616aaa.html

replay of ucla -cal pac 12 final now in pac 12 network. ucla handed uga 2 of their 4 losses this year

Tony Bresky was named ACC Coach of the Year today. In addition, Petros was named ACC Freshman of the Year and second team all ACC, Mansouri first team all ACC, and Bogaerts third team all ACC.

wake shout out early on for beating uva the number 1 overall seed.

wake coastal

etsu-michigan

winner probably gets oklahoma in tulsa

Back