• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Talk to me about next year. What are we looking at?

I think we are looking at another potential top 10 team, though a lot of things could change between now and then. We will definitely lose Ho (3 singles) and Bogaerts (4 singles). We might lose Tabrizi (was our #8). We add Lazarov (almost certainly a top 4 player), Rutledge (a top 10 US player), and 3 others (Gadjiev, Vuk Budic, and Sean Hill) that are probably more like 5-6 slot players at best (though no one predicted Seraphim would be playing as well as he did when he was a red shirt freshman, so I could see Gadjiev being good). I could see others being added as well, as Bresky signed Uspensky and Petros last summer.

We are wake fans. Decades of having higher seeded teams that get whipped on the national stage has bred a level of cynicism in the fanbase.

This isn't just some random thing where we have a team perform over seed to offset a team that performs under seed. It is a multi-generational, multi-sport phenomenon.

That said, the future still looks bright for this program and they had a very good year. Maybe we can take the next step and advance in the national finals next year.

well to be fair, wake forest athletic teams in general seem to "get whipped" with more frequency than just sometimes.

if anyone cares now, the elite 8 start today at 1 pm. uva-florida and ohio st-cal.

5 pm uga-unc and ucla-oklahoma

Some of you are being way, way too hard on this team, but I am going to chalk that up to not knowing the college tennis landscape at all, AND the fact that all Wake fans are a bit jaded right now due to lack of success, especially post-season success. For the record, I fully expect Oklahoma to at the worst, lose 4-3 to UCLA today. We did beat them twice this season, but we all know that beating a team 3 times is tough in any sport. They had a completely new lineup with the addition of Andrew Harris, who, when healthy, is a top, top player with pro success. That moves everyone down a notch creating new, very tough matchups for everyone. Romo was clearly banged up so there's one point we basically gave away. I also think that playing late at night under the nights makes a difference. We didn't respond to that challenge. But to attempt to take anything away from Coach Bresky or this team because they came up short is ridiculous. I am plenty disappointed, but not mad. IF anything, I'm still irked that we lost to NCSU which caused us to be a 6 seed to start, but I think the seeding committee should have taken that into consideration like they do with basketball and maybe should have even seeded Oklahoma higher.

As for next year, I don't see anyone leaving except maybe Tabrizi to transfer, but I don't think that is a given. Skan, Petros, Alex Lazarov, Dennis Ups, and Seraphim are the top 5 in no order. I'd like to see Petros play at a level where he can be 1, and I'd like to see Dennis get up to a level where he can play 4. As for #6, I'd prefer us to land another recruit that could come in January and play top 5, allowing Chris and Dennis to play 6 but we'll see. If that doesn't happen, I think we have 4 guys that can compete for that spot: Max, Keivon, Rutledge, or Gadjiev. Keivon and Lazarov had good weeks in pro tennis last week. Both, along with Gadjiev are playing futures this week. I don't think that Sean Hill or Vuk Budic can play 6 over those guys. So we will almost certainly have a deeper team next year, and I think we'll be top 10 for sure, but still yet to be seen whether we can take another jump. I think we need one more horse to do that, or I need to be surprised by Rutledge or Gadjiev.

The "difficult to beat a team three times" adage is part of the same dumb mythology b$ referenced.

College tennis is interesting. I read rutledge's bio and can't imagine that he would not be a top player - at least top 6. Hopefully he will. Very competitive sport.

He finally got the attention he wanted on a thread about a sport he doesn't care about. Well done.

UVA beat Florida 4-0. UGA beat UNC 4-0, though UNC was close to winning 2 matches when UGA clinched. Cal beat Ohio St 4-3. Ucla and OU are 3-3 right now.

Oklahoma just won 4-3 in a great match. They went up 3-0, before UCLA fought back. I think Oklahoma will beat UGA, and then partake in quite the battle with UVA for the national title.

OU/UVA final. Seems like they battled back tonight and won some clutch third sets deep in the lineup.

Wake Tennis Summer Update:

Last week:
Keivon Tabrizi won 3 qualies matches last week and then beat former TCU #1 Nick Chappel in the 1st rd, before losing in the 2nd round of a futures tourney in Israel
Alex Lazarov got a main draw WC in Bulgaria and made it all the way to the semis before losing to the top seed.

This week:
Keivon again won 3 qualies matches, but lost 1st round main draw this morning in Israel
Alan Gadjiev won 2 qualies matches in a futures in Uzbekistan and will play 1st round main draw tomorrow
Alex Lazarov received a SE into the main draw this week in Bulgaria and won his 1st round match over a top 500 player, who he beat last week as well.

Wake Tennis Summer Update:

Last week:
Keivon Tabrizi won 3 qualies matches last week and then beat former TCU #1 Nick Chappel in the 1st rd, before losing in the 2nd round of a futures tourney in Israel
Alex Lazarov got a main draw WC in Bulgaria and made it all the way to the semis before losing to the top seed.

This week:
Keivon again won 3 qualies matches, but lost 1st round main draw this morning in Israel
Alan Gadjiev won 2 qualies matches in a futures in Uzbekistan and will play 1st round main draw tomorrow
Alex Lazarov received a SE into the main draw this week in Bulgaria and won his 1st round match over a top 500 player, who he beat last week as well.

Thanks for the updates, they're greatly appreciated.

Back