• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Proposes to Reinstate Penn State / Paterno Wins

bym051d

I AM VERY IMPORTANT
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/16/joe-paterno-wins-ncaa-penn-state-deal_n_6488162.html

TATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Penn State's football team is getting back 112 wins wiped out during the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal and the late Joe Paterno has been restored as the winningest coach in major college football history.

The NCAA announced the new settlement with the school weeks before a scheduled trial on the legality of the 2012 consent decree it will replace.

The new deal also directs a $60 million fine to address child abuse be spent within Pennsylvania and resolves that lawsuit.

The NCAA board of governors approved the settlement, said association spokesman Bob Williams. The Penn State board was discussing the deal Friday afternoon.

The announcement follows the NCAA's decision last year to reinstate the school's full complement of football scholarships and let Penn State participate in post-season play, and comes just days after a federal judge declined to rule on the consent decree's constitutionality.

The NCAA said continuing the litigation would only delay the distribution of funds to sex abuse survivors.

Bad idea IMHO. Then again, I think Penn State should've been forced to fold up football for eternity.

Are they going to publicly announce at that same time that they didn't think UNC did anything wrong as well?

You can literally do anything and get a slap on the wrist from the NCAA unless you're a player.

The Sandusky mess had nothing to do with the NCAA. It was a crime that needed resolution in court for all those involved. The UNC case does have everything to do with the NCAA, yet nothing happens. Emmert and the NCAA are a complete joke.

The Sandusky mess had nothing to do with the NCAA. It was a crime that needed resolution in court for all those involved. The UNC case does have everything to do with the NCAA, yet nothing happens. Emmert and the NCAA are a complete joke.

What it had to do with the NCAA is a school put football ahead of real life. They don't deserve to have football anymore.

You can literally do anything and get a slap on the wrist from the NCAA unless you're a player.

Not true. Apparently these days you can not go to class, have people write papers for you and get an A. At least as long as you go to UNC.

And apparently in Eagle's world, when high ranking university officials (including the football coach) enable child rape, that's not an NCAA matter. Got it.

What happened at a UNC was the definition of lack of institutional control but is in no way comparable to what happened at PSU.

Not true. Apparently these days you can not go to class, have people write papers for you and get an A. At least as long as you go to UNC.

And apparently in Eagle's world, when high ranking university officials (including the football coach) enable child rape, that's not an NCAA matter. Got it.

I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I know someone that thinks FSU should get the death penalty, but also thought that Penn State's penalty was way too harsh and that Joe Paterno was wrongly criticized. I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

I had no problem really with the NCAA relaxing some of the ongoing penalties against Penn State. The punishment was decidedly harsh and the loss of wins to Paterno still existed. Now I feel the NCAA is capitulating too readily on what it did. And if the NCAA thinks it's looking weak lately then this certainly reinforces that perception. As it should.

PaternoShrug.jpg

Wonder if they can get him upright and let him coach a few more years. Feel like he can still do about the same job as he was doing towards the end.

What happened at a UNC was the definition of lack of institutional control but is in no way comparable to what happened at PSU.

While the argument will gain no traction in these parts, an outside observer would look at a second UNC investigation into easy classes and teammates sleeping on each other's couches after graduation (query: but not a first one into Cali-tucky? LOL@NCAA) happening concurrently with a grand unwinding of any meaningful sanction for covering up serial child rape in the President's office in Penn State and ask what kind of parallel universe we crossed into.

While the argument will gain no traction in these parts, an outside observer would look at a second UNC investigation into easy classes and teammates sleeping on each other's couches after graduation (query: but not a first one into Cali-tucky? LOL@NCAA) happening concurrently with a grand unwinding of any meaningful sanction for covering up serial child rape in the President's office in Penn State and ask what kind of parallel universe we crossed into.

that is a very long sentence

The lawsuit was settled about one month before trial was scheduled because the NCAA was going to get its butt handed to them in Court. Some of the NCAA documents exposed during the discovery was that the NCAA pursuit of penalties were a "bluff" and that asserting jurisdiction "would be a stretch" I would say that NCAA was so far out in left field, that they would have gotten creamed in all major legal issues.

The lawsuit was settled about one month before trial was scheduled because the NCAA was going to get its butt handed to them in Court. Some of the NCAA documents exposed during the discovery was that the NCAA pursuit of penalties were a "bluff" and that asserting jurisdiction "would be a stretch" I would say that NCAA was so far out in left field, that they would have gotten creamed in all major legal issues.

Ew, bro. Gross amount of double entendre in this post. Keep it classy. No butt talk. No cream talk. Thanks. God bless.

While the argument will gain no traction in these parts, an outside observer would look at a second UNC investigation into phony classes and teammates sleeping on each other's couches after graduation (query: but not a first one into Cali-tucky? LOL@NCAA) happening concurrently with a grand unwinding of any meaningful sanction for covering up serial child rape in the President's office in Penn State and ask what kind of parallel universe we crossed into.
fixed

Back