• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josina Anderson @JosinaAnderson · 3m 3 minutes ago
Source: I'm told free agent CB Patrick Robinson has received some interest from the #Vikings, #Saints, #Steelers, #Panthers & the #Dolphins.

He'd be a solid pickup.

How the hell do teams like the Colts, Niners, and Seahawks swing these big dick FA pickups and trades? Who the fuck are we paying so much for that we can't pay a receiver 9 mill a year, but the Seahawks can pay Jimmy Graham and the rest of their defensive superstars? Our best players are still on their rookie contracts.

How the hell do teams like the Colts, Niners, and Seahawks swing these big dick FA pickups and trades? Who the fuck are we paying so much for that we can't pay a receiver 9 mill a year, but the Seahawks can pay Jimmy Graham and the rest of their defensive superstars? Our best players are still on their rookie contracts.
Charles Johnson makes the same amount as Sherman and Earl Thomas combined

it's so goddamn annoying. Fuck Hurney.

Also, Cam isn't really on his rookie deal anymore. His picked up option was for the average of the top 10 QBs... his cap number is 14.6 million this year. This will be the first year Russ Wilson's is over a million at 1.7.

Cam - $15M

Wilson - $1.5M

Article on our FA period so far from the team site, really don't like these comments on Oher from GMan. Sounds like Byron Bell rationalization from last year. Altho I guess he has to say this now even if he is planning to draft an immediate LT at 25.

"Michael is a former first-round pick who got his baptism with John Matsko," Gettleman said. "Michael came out of the blocks and played solid. John left after two years, and Andy Moeller was his next position coach, and John had trained Andy. MIchael continued to improve, and in 2012 they won the Super Bowl with him at left tackle. In 2013 they brought in a new O-line coach, and the fit just wasn't good. Then he went to Tennessee and had an injury-plagued year.

"We did our homework on Michael, and we feel very strongly that he can be an answer for us. He'll be inserted at left tackle, and we'll go from there. The other four guys really finished the season strong – (left guard Andrew) Norwell and (center) Ryan (Kalil) and (right guard) Trai (Turner) and (right tackle) Mike Remmers – and we feel like Michael gives us a chance to really solidify that group."

That is not encouraging. What are the chances he goes WR and DE again in the first two rounds?

That is not encouraging. What are the chances he goes WR and DE again in the first two rounds?

(save this for when I'm wrong) There is no way we don't take a OT with one or both of those picks.

Seattle has been losing Defensive players left and right. Not to mention, losing one of the top Centers in the trade. Everyone talks about Graham and how Seattle is 'owning' it right now but they keep ignoring the loss of a Pro Bowl Center and it's impact on the QB. Going to be funny when Graham misses half the season due to injuries and the hawks struggle to make the playoffs.

Where Seattle is beating everyone else is letting Defensive players go in FA vs paying them and trading back in the draft for more picks that they turn into superstars for 2-3 years.

Article on our FA period so far from the team site, really don't like these comments on Oher from GMan. Sounds like Byron Bell rationalization from last year. Altho I guess he has to say this now even if he is planning to draft an immediate LT at 25.

Ugh.

The "continued to improve" line really gets me. I have never heard anyone ever say that in regards to Oher. Everyone says he has steadily declined every year since a very good rookie year. Also, he fucking played RT on the Ravens Super Bowl team. Bryant McKinnie was the LT. What the fuck is wrong with Gettleman? Does he even watch the guys he signs?

A lot of people seem upset that we haven't splashed money around in Free Agency. I think GMan has done an excellent job, shoring up some positions so we don't have to reach in the draft while not giving out any contracts we can't handle burning in a year if we find better talent. We still have quite a bit of money tied up in dead cap space.

More importantly:
Amid the NFL's annual spending spree, it's worth pointing out a case study of how routinely individual signings can fizzle. Take the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who jumped out in free agency last year to sign defensive end Michael Johnson, offensive tackle Anthony Collins and quarterback Josh McCown to contracts that paid out about $27 million in cash over the past 12 months. The Bucs finished 2-14, earning them the No. 1 overall pick, and all three have been released. It's worth repeating: Nine of the 12 playoff teams in 2014 ranked in the bottom half of guaranteed money handed out the previous March.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...heard-jay-cutler-and-other-day-2-observations

I'm not upset we haven't splashed money around. I'm upset about who we've splashed money to and the possibility of not getting other players or not targeting needs in the draft.

If we can upgrade Cotchery headed into the draft, I'll be happy

I expect we're not done. We'll likely add a speedy WR (maybe even today) and CB or two over the next few days. For the most part we've kept our team intact that finished the season 5-1. Gman's proven in two drafts that he can pull talent from the later rounds of the draft and we're building from the draft not Free Agency. Most of these signing are role players, backups and/or depth.

A lot of people seem upset that we haven't splashed money around in Free Agency. I think GMan has done an excellent job, shoring up some positions so we don't have to reach in the draft while not giving out any contracts we can't handle burning in a year if we find better talent. We still have quite a bit of money tied up in dead cap space.

More importantly:

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...heard-jay-cutler-and-other-day-2-observations

I don't care that we haven't spent a ton of money. That's the correct approach, but I would at least like Gettleman to actually look at signing a mid-level WR like Shorts to fill the WR2 position. We have plenty of space for a move like that. I am most upset that Gettleman just flat out lied about a signing to make himself look good in an official release through the Panthers website. That's some bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back