• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

Cardinals series starting tonight. Tiiiight. If you see Reff at the game on Saturday, save pouring your beer over his head for a weekend when we aren't expecting rain.

With only 3 games left, we are assured of a top 5 protected pick.

For some reason, I'm watching the Cards/Braves game tonight. None of the Cards starters are playing. A quick camera shot into the dugout showed Jason Heyward handing a full water bottle to Matt Holiday. Holiday too a sip, smiled, and passed it back Heyward. Atlanta water is great.

Heyward is making is teammates drink the water because he loves it so much. That's gotta mean he's coming back? Right? Right.

Does this surprise anyone else?

@KevinMcAlpin: With his RBI double, AJ Pierzynski is 11 hits shy of 2,000 for his career. He's 10th in hits all time among catchers. Bench is next w/2,048

So what does next year look like? More of the same with a couple of young player introductions? Then sign some FAs and compete in '17?

Hart said on TV last week they will sign a FA pitcher and it sounds like he said Minor will be tendered a contract today.

Next year has to be Frediot's last year right? Obviously he won't get canned this offseason, but surely he won't survive until 2017. I don't see him still being the manager when the new ballpark opens in 2017.

I don't think there is a top 5 college hitter in the draft but Rutherford (HS CF'er) should be there at 3 after Puk and Hansen.

So what does next year look like? More of the same with a couple of young player introductions? Then sign some FAs and compete in '17?

Essentially. Look for some big steps from the young arms that have spent time up here this season. Really just one position player to look for next season & that's Mallex Smith. Ozzie is still a few seasons away. Rio Ruiz may get the call later in the season. No telling what FAs we go after.

I think the biggest thing for next season is you just really, REALLY hope that the young pitching takes a step up. They are banking hard on 5 out of Miller, Teheran, Wisler, Folty, Banuelos, Fried, Sims, and Jenkins forming a strong rotation in 2017. Wisler, Folty and Banuelos all looked good in various games this year, but obviously none of them hit the ground running like Syndergaard, McCullers, or Matz, and none is a sure thing. That's not unusual, but if those guys don't develop the way we all hope, then this rebuild is in trouble.

Otherwise, of course you'd hope Olivera shows why the Braves in that deal gave up Alex Wood and every single remaining chip at the trade deadline. Mallex Smith continuing to play well would also be nice, since the Braves OF situation for the foreseeable future is so shitastic.

Oh, and spend a fuckton of money internationally signing that guy who is supposed to be Miguel Cabrera 2.0.

Yep. Totally forgot about our (potential) international signings. If Kevin Maitan is the real deal, and actually signs with us, that'd be huge. We will probably go wild in the international market this time around because we have a boat load of money, lot of big spenders are restricted, and some incredibly talented players. Also, might be the last season of international signings.

Next year has to be Frediot's last year right? Obviously he won't get canned this offseason, but surely he won't survive until 2017. I don't see him still being the manager when the new ballpark opens in 2017.

You may be disappointed then, I don't see him getting fired next year either. He's well liked by Bobby and Schuerholz and I think he'll get another pass next year based on the continued rebuilding of the team.

I missed it a week ago but Paco Rodriguez had TJS and will likely miss 2016, so one less bullpen option there.

Happy for Ned Yost, Dayton Moore, and Kris Medlen! Now let's bring back Ned (and maybe Dayton).

Back