• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tinder for Recipes

AnonymousDeac

Reaction score
Given how helpful the Pit can often be, I humbly reach out to you all...

I recently had a vision for a new app and I would love your assistance. When thinking about what kind of dinner to make for a date night, I realized there wasn't a recipe app I liked that made recommendations for me. And when using Google, you had to sift through slide shows and lots of write-ups and it was just a painful process. I actually even just Google Image Searched “easy recipes” and realized how much easier it was to pick a recipe from pictures than anything else. So I did some research and thinking and I mock’d up a 'Tinder for Recipes' app, one that provides customized recommendations for you that you can simply swipe right or left if it looks good.

Now this is where you come into play. Before spending all the time building this app, I hoped you all could help me out by giving a few minutes of your time and acting as my market research. Very simply, I’m trying to understand if there’s a desire for this kind of app.

Please watch my very short and simple mock-up of what the app would do and complete this quick 2 to 3 minute survey with some feedback. Thank you very much in advance for taking the time to assist me; it means a lot! And if you like the idea and feel inclined to share any of your other friends, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Youtube video: Tinder for Recipes
Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QN8JCKG

Thanks!

the epicurious app is pretty similar actually.

Took the survey. Google does have tons of free recipes but having the choice of type of cuisine, dietary preference, and time of preparation all in one place is very nice.

Excited to see what comes of this.

Thanks for the feedback from those who have helped thus far. The insights and criticism are very helpful as I start developing this app.

It seems the biggest reason people have said they wouldn't use this app is because they currently use Pinterest for this exact thing. For anyone that uses Pinterest for this purpose, what are the greatest pain points? What advantages would or could this app provide that Pinterest doesn't?

200.gif

Thanks for the feedback from those who have helped thus far. The insights and criticism are very helpful as I start developing this app.

It seems the biggest reason people have said they wouldn't use this app is because they currently use Pinterest for this exact thing. For anyone that uses Pinterest for this purpose, what are the greatest pain points? What advantages would or could this app provide that Pinterest doesn't?

pain points: you're still searching through what you've already pinned or searching for something to maybe link to something else, etc.
advantages of this over pinterest: dudes who wanna cook for a date (and who don't already have go-to recipes) aren't going to pinterest.

Thanks for referencing this. I think this is probably the closest app I've seen to what we're looking at building. After going through the reviews, seems like there are still some issues here that we'd hope to solve by making the process more simple and seamless.

Sounds like that company ended in an acqui-hire by XO group and now simply maintains the app, but focuses primarily on other businesses of XO.

I'm reaching out to some of the former members of that team to hopefully pick their brain and better understand why the app didn't make it.

pain points: you're still searching through what you've already pinned or searching for something to maybe link to something else, etc.
advantages of this over pinterest: dudes who wanna cook for a date (and who don't already have go-to recipes) aren't going to pinterest.

Pain point: In Pinterest, I can search on words such as "slow cooker chicken", but I can't filter down further to get only slow cooker chicken recipes that have 5 ingredients or less and are low carb, for example. Also in Pinterest, many of the recipes come from food bloggers who have a ton of ads on their page. Makes it a pain when using on your phone.

Thanks for referencing this. I think this is probably the closest app I've seen to what we're looking at building. After going through the reviews, seems like there are still some issues here that we'd hope to solve by making the process more simple and seamless.

Sounds like that company ended in an acqui-hire by XO group and now simply maintains the app, but focuses primarily on other businesses of XO.

I'm reaching out to some of the former members of that team to hopefully pick their brain and better understand why the app didn't make it.

This site could definitely be improved. I am excited to see where you take this project.

Back