• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Algore wants to punish climate change deniers

First, is it a coincidence that you feel compelled to negrep every sentence I write or is the coincidence that you are a dork who just happens to have OCD?

Also, I appreciate the help in grammar, although I have no idea how to spell grammar and do not want to look it up.

Interesting.
I was not aware that "money and resources" are public.
I thought that "money and resources" were private and the debate was about how much to take from private to fund stuff those supporting public want.

This is idiotic.

First, is it a coincidence that you feel compelled to negrep every sentence I write or is the coincidence that you are a dork who just happens to have OCD?

Also, I appreciate the help in grammar, although I have no idea how to spell grammar and do not want to look it up.

Neither is coincidence.

Not sure how you get that out of "war on science and education." Conservatives are pretty aggressive about cutting funding for science research and for education while implementing high stakes testing regimes that funnel money and resources away from public to private use.

Debate that not your silly illiteracy bit.

NIHfunding-fig2.png

See that increased slope in NIH funding? Republican house, senate and president. Take a look at what has happened since. You can blame the recession, etc., but you can't say that dems/obama have exceeded republican support for research.

Unfortunately, academia has moved so far left in the last 20 years that most scientists fail to appreciate this fact, leading to escalating antagonism between researchers and congress critters.

Last edited:
silk, which private citizens own school buildings?

Not quite sure what you are asking but Wake owns school buildings. I think Wake is still private.
Is this what you are asking?

Last edited:
Cutting funding from public schools, cutting funding from the state university system, funding private schools credits at the expense of public schools, deruglating charter schools, disenfranchising public school teachers, busting teacher unions, outlawing AP courses, whitewashing history textbooks, pushing creationism as legitimate science

Yep, nothing to see here folks,

NIHfunding-fig2.png

See that increased slope in NIH funding? Republican house, senate and president. Take a look at what has happened since. You can blame the recession, etc., but you can't say that dems/obama have exceeded republican support for research..

If we actually want to be real here, let's not post charts from the American Progress website, let's talk dollars to donuts funding and commitments.

The spending trend that you see precipitously rising from 1999 to 2004 was an unsustainable growth rate. Clinton asked for 7% increase for the NIH and 9% for the NSF, which Congress approved because it was the 90s and we couldn't spend money fast enough. The previous forty years of govt spending were going just fine indexed against inflation and growing slowly above it. Science spending grew at a sustainable rate, we were creating jobs for scientists and keeping up with equipment costs and inflation at a good rate, but Clinton overspent in 1999. Bush committed to doubling the NSF funding in 5 years starting in 2002(which fell flat when we entered Iraq). He committed to raising NASA spending by 5% a year til 2008. He wanted to spend even more on the NIH.

When money got tighter in the US, we deprioritized science spending (because of Iraq and later the financial crisis). Would this have been a problem had we continued along at steady 3-3.5% growth instead of growing like crazy from 1999-2004? Not sure. But from 2005 on we had all these early career scientists looking for jobs, postdocs and midcareer scientists looking for grant money, and PIs and lab heads looking for equipment and resource $, and funding couldn't keep up. Bush corrected the NIH and NSF overspend trend in his second term, not exclusively by choice.

Spending isn't everything when it comes to science policy. Bush was also clearly in bed with oil interests drilling in Alaska. He loudly questioned climate science and withdrew support from the Kyoto Protocol. He appointed former oil industry lobbyist to the head of Council of Environmental Quality, who doctored reports on climate research. He put DOD and USDA biomedical research spending to a halt, cut embryonic stem cell funding (tried to make it illegal), and continually drew ire from the heads of NASA, NSF, and NIH.

Bush's science policy was all over the place. Obama's hasn't been much better. He's just as beholden to oil as Bush was. That spending has slowed for science is generally a good thing, to be frank, though there was a period of overcorrection late in the Bush administration that left a lot of people in a terrible situation. The current NIH Director Francis Collins has come out in favor of a long term commitment to sustainable science spending. No massive jumps that can jar unsustainable growth, and no freezes on spending in the other direction.

When I refer to a conservative war on science and education, I'm talking policy, not spending. Ph may have his own thoughts on education spending, or science spending for that matter, but I'm not sure that point is tenable.

You need only view stats on public opinion on issues such as climate change, evolution, and vaccines to see that people who identify themselves as Republican or Conservative are starkly behind the scientific times.

Townie is a dork with OCD...interesting.

Well that's pretty much all that's left in the base now.

You have to realize how dumb this post is

And honestly it's super fucking classist.

Would love to see how you would respond if someone posted about the intellectual aptitude of the DNC "base".

You need to take a step out of your Philly self-fellating commune homeslice.

And I hate Republicans.

But posts like these are why I'll never be a Democrat.

Last edited:
Back