• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Buchanan has pitched in 22 games for Houston in 2014-15. Probably not a rookie. He is tonight's starter.

Epstein, Hoyer and McLeod are extended through 2021. Getting top money. Possibly the best in baseball and the best the Cubs have employed.

67. Old fart.

Spent the summer of 1969 working in a paper manufacturing plant. Everyone in the plant was a blue collar Met fan. Except me. Great summer until the Cubs visited Shea in August and dropped a four game series to the Mets to start the slide. The team disintegrated after the Saturday game. A rookie centerfielder named Don Young made an error on a fly ball in the eighth that cost the team the lead and the game. Ron Santo went ballistic about the play and the player with the press after the game. NY press put it as the sports headline in the Sunday papers. Needless to say, the team split apart and it showed in a doubleheader loss on Sunday. The slide began. Young went to the minors and was never seen in the majors again. The split remained for the duration of the season and the Miracle Mets were created. As big a momentum change as I have ever seen in sports. I suspect it received little or no coverage in Chicago or nationwide. Santo was the team captain. But the damage was done.

The 'black cat' incident occurred on the next road trip to NY after the choke had begun. Kind of a cover for the initial incident. I believe that Santo was never elected to the HOF by the writers because of the incident. After Santo died and a couple of months before his own death, Ernie Banks opened up and told this same story in SI or ESPN to set the record straight about the '69 collapse. That was the first I had heard of it in the press since 1969.

That was such an amazing August and September for the Mets. As a 13 year-old Mets fan, I remember watching most of the games in my best friend's basement playing bumper pool and watching the games on an 18" black and white TV. I vividly remember another Cubs no name, a reserve outfielder named Jimmy Qualls, break up Tom Seaver's bid for a perfect game with one out in the ninth. I think Cub's manager, Leo Durocher, had a lot to do with their collapse as well.

All that said, I am rooting big time for the Cubs to win it all this year.

Good sign in tonight's game. Cubs beat the Red's 7-3. All the Cubs runs were driven in by Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist and Russell, the team leaders in RBI. They need to produce for this team to advance and win.

103-58. I'll take it. The bench stepped up with two outs in the ninth to finish the regular season on winning note.

If this isn't the Cubs' year, I don't know what it or what it will look like. All I know is that I'm in. Go Cubs Go!

Who do we want to face? Mets are depleted but the fear of last year repeating itself still lingers. Giants have owned October the last few years but don't look like a juggernaut right now.

Positives with Giants:
*Cueto has been absolutely obliterated in his two career road playoff starts.
*I fear playing in SF less than Queens just from an environ standpoint if we do drop a game at Wrigley.

Also feels like there's less pressure on us than there otherwise would be given the Giants' playoff history. If we can end #evenyearbullshit, maybe there's no stopping us

Wanted the Mets, but Giants it is. Let's do it to it boys.

Later first pitch tomorrow than I was expecting, but oh whale more time to drink to OUR CUBBIES.

Cubs need to and should win the first two.

If the Giants split and head back to SF to face MadBum in AT&T Park, the Cubs are going to have to fight off the weight of heavy expectations and endless negative questions.

Cubs need to and should win the first two.

If the Giants split and head back to SF to face MadBum in AT&T Park, the Cubs are going to have to fight off the weight of heavy expectations and endless negative questions.

Yep - thats also why we are throwing Jake in game 3, even though he has been erratic, he is still our best big game pitcher. And he has been money on the road.

We've got Bulldog Lackey to count on in Game 4 even if we're 2-1 down. No need to panic

Im hoping the Cubs put Almora on the DS roster - would love to see him come in late in games to roam center with JHey in right - can move Dex to left or just leave Soler/Cogs/Contreras/Zo out there. Leave Szczur or TLS off.

The Cubs defense needs to play great, this series is going to be low scoring if the previous matchups are any indication.

Back