• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Yeah maybe it's the pessimist In me as a cubs fan but I still feel like we are at least a year away

Larger sample size in baseball renders advanced stats more useful as a prognostic tool IMO. I think it's likely close to accurate. There's a large amount of variance in baseball and I read an article a few weeks ago about how the average margin of error even over 182 games is something like +\- 6 games. So the prediction that all five teams in the central would be within 8 or 9 games of each other was basically worthless to determine who would actually win the division haha

Love me some soler - 9/$30 is an amazing contract for him - he made a bunch of other cuban players a lot of money. Well, him and that other dude from some west coast team, dont remember his name.

Larger sample size in baseball renders advanced stats more useful as a prognostic tool IMO. I think it's likely close to accurate. There's a large amount of variance in baseball and I read an article a few weeks ago about how the average margin of error even over 182 games is something like +\- 6 games. So the prediction that all five teams in the central would be within 8 or 9 games of each other was basically worthless to determine who would actually win the division haha

I dont agree, advanced stats dont really tell the whole story. I mean, look at Rizzo, if they keep batting him in the 2 hole, his RBIs are going to go way down and that is going to minimize his value - especially over 182 games.

I was hoping beef would get the game winning hit so we can get him off the team faster. The win was secondary.

Two games. Two come from behind victories. The Diaz vs. Soler match up in the eighth was classic. Soler declared his intentions with a swing and miss on Diaz first pitch heat. Diaz kept throwing heat and Soler sent one 420' to dead center. I was impressed with Maddon when Soler arrived at the dugout. Amid the celebration Maddon was moving toward Rizzo, pointed and said "great job' for the lead off walk. The little things matter. Rizzo walked again to lead off the tenth and set the tone.

I dont agree, advanced stats dont really tell the whole story. I mean, look at Rizzo, if they keep batting him in the 2 hole, his RBIs are going to go way down and that is going to minimize his value - especially over 182 games.

True I think fangraphs also bases it on the most likely lineup position or something for each player. I'll check it out when I get to work. I will note that batting him in the two or three when the pitcher bats 8th changes things up as he's essentially batting in the three or four after he's guaranteed the first at bat in the first inning.

At some point in the very near future, we will have Rizzo, Bryant and Soler in the same lineup. Think about that for a second, and then let your mind wander to the potential additions of Baez and Schwarber down the road. Insane power.

Dude, we've starving in the desert for six years (counting the completely forgettable 2009 season). Let us eat

Yep. I just read that the Cubs are 2 games over .500 for the first time since 2009.

True I think fangraphs also bases it on the most likely lineup position or something for each player. I'll check it out when I get to work. I will note that batting him in the two or three when the pitcher bats 8th changes things up as he's essentially batting in the three or four after he's guaranteed the first at bat in the first inning.

I was joking - i agree with you. I really like rizzo in the 2 hole.

Back