• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs take the series from the Mets with a 6-2 win. Hendricks continues his shutout for July (19.2 innings) to gain his ninth win. Rizzo with two homers and 3 rbi's and Russell with a two run double deliver the big hits. Heyward throws out a runner at home with a 98.8 mph laser. Heyward isn't hitting but his D is top shelf. On to Milwaukee for the weekend

The pitchers want to participate in a HR derby at the all star game. Maybe the position players should have a 'big arm' contest. Fans would probably be surprised at the arm strength and speed.

Edit. The throw from Heyward was perfect but give credit to Montero for a great catch and tag. I know that's the first thing Heyward did when he got to the dugout.

Last edited:
Looks like Vogelbach is gone to the Mariners for Mike Montgomery - should be a decent LH option out of the pen, and he is controllable for awhile

We also flipped Paul Blackburn, a lite throwing starter from AA who projects as a back end of the rotation guy, for some AAA dude named Pries who projects as a AAAA player. Ok.

I thought Blackburn had a chance to be a decent, but this is a fine trade, Vogelbach had a ton of value, but everyone knew there was no way the Cubs were keeping him - so getting a LRP with years of control sounds pretty good.

Reports that Cubs are sniffing around Reddick - with Fowler back, we would have a dominant COF defensively - that would push Soler, Baez and Contreras to the bench, Cogs likely off the team, Szczur back down to the minors, 3 AM and rossy would be other bench bats - which means one of Soler/Baez/Contreras would have to be traded (Soler hopefully) if we do a 13 man pitching staff.

Would still love to see Reddick on this team, even though he is basically a Heyward clone from the right side with more pop.

Reports that Cubs are sniffing around Reddick - with Fowler back, we would have a dominant COF defensively - that would push Soler, Baez and Contreras to the bench, Cogs likely off the team, Szczur back down to the minors, 3 AM and rossy would be other bench bats - which means one of Soler/Baez/Contreras would have to be traded (Soler hopefully) if we do a 13 man pitching staff.

Would still love to see Reddick on this team, even though he is basically a Heyward clone from the right side with more pop.

I like the Montgomery/Vogelbach trade for all the same reasons. I don't think the Reddick trade comes off unless there is another big trade brewing. Management seems reluctant to move away from the kids and for good reason. I believe Epstein wants to win this year but is taking a long view on personnel. Sustained success.

Fowler returns ASAP and Almora returns to AAA. Soler will stay at AAA as long as allowed by rehab. He'll need all of it and it allows time to make decisions regarding pitching personnel. Staff remains at 13 until decisions are made. Soler returns if an injury occurs (real or imagined) or reduction to 12 pitchers. This team had enough turmoil resulting from injuries. Get your players back, selected and allow the chemistry to return. Just an opinion.

I like the Montgomery/Vogelbach trade for all the same reasons. I don't think the Reddick trade comes off unless there is another big trade brewing. Management seems reluctant to move away from the kids and for good reason. I believe Epstein wants to win this year but is taking a long view on personnel. Sustained success.

Fowler returns ASAP and Almora returns to AAA. Soler will stay at AAA as long as allowed by rehab. He'll need all of it and it allows time to make decisions regarding pitching personnel. Staff remains at 13 until decisions are made. Soler returns if an injury occurs (real or imagined) or reduction to 12 pitchers. This team had enough turmoil resulting from injuries. Get your players back, selected and allow the chemistry to return. Just an opinion.

Reddick won't cost a ton and is an upgrade on anything we have now - Soler can then be flipped for RP or SP help. Soler doesn't have that many days left that he can rehab and then we would have to make a tough decision to either cut Cogs or make a trade.

The team is already built for sustained success. If we can end 108 years of pain lets goddamn do it.

Though we shouldn't do anything silly like trading Schwarbs for a reliever

The team is already built for sustained success. If we can end 108 years of pain lets goddamn do it.

Though we shouldn't do anything silly like trading Schwarbs for a reliever

Right, my thought is we trade for Reddick, plug him into LF, Baez and COntreras go to the bench, Soler+ is moved for pitching and its a win/win - Soler's only chance on this team is to beat out Warbirds bat, which will be tough.

Baseball Americas Midseason Top 10 for the Cubs

SS Gleyber Torres
2B/OF Ian Happ
OF Eloy Jimenez
OF Mark Zagunis
3B Jeimer Candelario
RHP Oscar De La Cruz
RHP Dylan Cease
RHP Trevor Clifton
RHP Duane Underwood
OF Eddy Martinez

Zagunis is hitting well at AAA - not sure where he fits on this team since he is 23, maybe a 4th/5th OF next year? He's a good trade candidate, has gap power with lots of double and triples, decent OBP and a decent glove. Candelario should be a trade option too - great bat, questionable glove, no room. All our high minor pitchers are falling off, and the guys on this list are A ball except for Underwood who has hit a wall this year in AA.

Huge drop off after the top 3 - Theo has said he is open for trade, but there is not a lot of great talents in the bottom half of the list, Cease maybe, and Eddy Julio has some pop and got some pub coming from Cuba, but he is still raw.

Welcome back Dexter. Start the game with a solo HR. Second time up hit a two run double. Score on a sacrifice fly. Two runs scored and three RBI's. Apparently he's ready to play. Cubs lead 4-0 after 1.5 innings.

Albert Almora optioned to Iowa to make room for Dexter. From what I saw he is ready to play CF in Chicago.

Edit. LHP Mike Montgomery joins the team in Milwaukee. Spencer Patton optioned to Iowa.

Last edited:
Probably.

Richard and Warren have the worst numbers on the staff. Edwards may be the only pitcher on the staff with options, but he's pitching successfully against the best hitters our opponents have and I'd be surprised to see him leave. Cahill should be good to go fairly soon as well. Maybe someone will 'need' the DL.

What are the rules regarding options to the minors?

Last edited:
Joe Nathan activated from the 60 day DL. Adam Warren optioned to Iowa and will join the rotation. Addison Russell removed from today's game with a left heel contusion resulting from a foul ball. Baez to SS.

John Lester gives up four runs on four hits and five walks in four innings. Rondon gives up a ninth inning HR but the rest of the bullpen do the job recording nine strikeouts over five innings. Lester had 7 K's. That's 16 K's, 8 walks and five runs. Worked out OK as the offense wakes up and scores six runs led by a 3 run double by Rizzo and a two hit, two RBI day by Zobrist. BTW, Cubs win 6-5 to take the series from Milwaukee.

Back to Chicago for a four game series against the White Sox.

Last edited:
Sounds like Chapman for gleyber torres is a go - maybe some other moving parts - only holdup is cubs want chapman to sign a long tem deal at like 4/$60

Strop/rondon/chapman? Sounds good to me.

Word is there will be more from cubs but nothing else from yanks - hefty price, but becomes a decent trade if they get the extension signed.

Back