• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I don't want to play either, but I think the potential for weirdness and an upset rises playing the Cards who are so familiar with us. Plus the revenge factor.

Dodgers vs. Pirates/Marlins, kplz thanks

I want Miami to sneak in and win their WC game with Jose. Stanton is likely out for the year and the Game 1 would be Arrieta against their second pitcher.

Read an article in one of the local Chicago papers that was advocating for Hendricks to potentially be the Game 1 starter. Now that's a hot take. He's been good, but he's not starting Game 1 with Arrieta and Lester in the rotation. Hell he's probably not starting Game 2.

I'd be open to the idea of him in Game 2 -- I trust the other guys more away from Wrigley.

And speaking of pitching on the road in the playoffs, one plus of seeing the Giants straight away is they'd have to burn Bumgarner in the WC game and would presumably pitch Cueto Game 1 at Wrigley.

His two road playoff starts? The infamous "CUE-TOOO" game and giving up 8 over 2 innings to TO last year

Last edited:
Very true - only caveat is that Zobrist will still be starting at 2B most of the time next year, he's making way too much money to be a reserve - I think they keep Baez in this super platoon role where he can play all over the field and give Maddon the ability to manipulate his lineup however he wants based on the pitcher - he will settle into a position at some point, but Ian Happ is coming up in the next couple of years too - so who knows.

I agree on Zobrist but decided to stress youth. Could use another LH bat in that group as well. Fowler serves two roles. He can bat from either side and he is 'the' lead off hitter. His importance to the team in that role was apparent when he was injured. I think Almora is special on defense and his bat is ready for the bigs, but he is not a top of the order hitter. The easiest way to resolve the question is to win it this year and I'm certain nobody will complain.

Cubs recover from a 4-1 deficit to beat the Dodgers 6-4 in 10 innings. Bryant hit two homers, the second a two run shot in the 10th. Chapman pumps 100+ mph fastballs in the bottom of the tenth to seal the win. Jason Heyward hit a leadoff double in the ninth, advanced to third on a passed ball strikeout to Soler and scored the tying run on a wild pitch.

Vin Scully described the action. A true artist at his craft.

Cubs fail to impress against good teams -- I'm too lazy to look at the stats but it seems they feast on the bad teams and are mediocre against good teams. I expect a first round exit for this team.

By my count, 35-28 against teams over .500. The only +.500 team we are more than 2 games under .500 against is the (barely .500) Mets, who we happened to play at Citi during our worst stretch of the season -- maybe that's just stuck in your mind for some reason.

I'm not sure I'd classify all that as "mediocre." Indeed, that equates to a 55.5% winning percentage, which in the NL is better than all but the Nats and Dodgers' winning percentages overall.

Odd timing for this post too since we swept LA at home. Losing a series at Dodger Stadium in which two of our Cy Young candidates did not pitch is no sin.

Team is 82-47 (!!!!) and still people will find reasons to bitch

Last edited:
Give me 8 runs given up in a 3 game series and the Cubs will win 2+ games in 80%+ of those. Also, Cubs have homefield in the playoffs, 45-19 at home - and don't have to play 3 in a row on the road at the end of a 2 week west coast road trip.

Saying that the Cubs fail to show up against big teams is very small sample size deac.

Rough end last night. Should have had the third out in the 8th inning to keep the game tied, and bad luck in the top of the 8th when Hayward hit a 2 out rocket to first that would have scored at least one if not caught.

The Cubs do have some warts. The offense can be stymied by good pitching staffs. The same is true of all MLB teams. The kids expand their strike zone in close, low scoring games and are prone to go for the big knock rather than hit as the situation dictates. This has been a point of emphasis all season. There are periodic brain farts on defense. Despite the warts they had the best record at the All Star break and at 29-12 have the best record after the break. Barring injury, they will have the best pitching staff going into the playoffs. Quality and depth. Those same kids can change the game with one swing and when they stay within the strike zone can be a nightmare for opposing staffs. They are as good as any team in MLB defensively. They will be favored to win as they have been all season and rightfully so. Can they be beaten? Certainly. However, I doubt that any team is taking them for granted.

The ump calling balls and strikes is terrible. I have no idea what his strike zone is and I doubt whether any of the players or pitches do either.

Miggy with the GWRBI in the bottom of 13. Tip of the hat to the Bucs who hung tough with several outstanding defensive plays. A five hour roller coaster ride.

He got squeezed by the ump like crazy last night - the two long balls are on him, but the runners on for the last home run should not have been there.

Whoever that ump is was terribad across the board last night.

Back