• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Winter meetings - reading a lot of people saying the Cubs are likely not going to be doing much, but they are in conversations about Sonny Gray, Wade Davis and Alex Coloma, supposedly. Not sure they go after Jansen or Chapman with what they are likely to get.

Read a few things about them being interested in Tyson Ross, know they were a couple of years ago, would be a risk, but if he can regain form, would definitely help for 2018.

Chapman said today he hasn't heard anything from the Cubs about resigning.

Said he was looking for a 6 year deal, but never said $100M.

Not really huge news, but relevant at least.

Reading Cubs blogs is making me crazy, lots of loons out there - but did see the Rangers are interested in Solar- no clue what they have that we would want or that Solar would fetch, but thought it was interesting.

Winter meetings - reading a lot of people saying the Cubs are likely not going to be doing much, but they are in conversations about Sonny Gray, Wade Davis and Alex Coloma, supposedly. Not sure they go after Jansen or Chapman with what they are likely to get.

Read a few things about them being interested in Tyson Ross, know they were a couple of years ago, would be a risk, but if he can regain form, would definitely help for 2018.

I'm a lot more comfortable with Davis at the back of the pen. Still need another arm in the middle to compete with Rondon, in case he doesn't return to form.

Saw something on Twitter last night suggesting Soler+Happ+??? for Davis. That seems like a lot.

Saw something on Twitter last night suggesting Soler+Happ+??? for Davis. That seems like a lot.

I think it is just Soler for Davis. I hope we are not including Happ. But, i guess you never know. That would suck for a 1 year rental.

I think it is just Soler for Davis. I hope we are not including Happ. But, i guess you never know. That would suck for a 1 year rental.

Yeah, I'm fine with Jorge straight up/maybe a lesser minor leaguer. Don't really want to part with Happ.

Yeah, I'm fine with Jorge straight up/maybe a lesser minor leaguer. Don't really want to part with Happ.

That would be a crazy overpay. Soler seems to be without a place right now, but still has a ton of value - giving up him plus a top 30 prospect for 1 year of Davis is a ton. I would still be pumped to get Davis, but that would suck for our pipeline.

Also, there are some dominos that would need to fall, but trading soler opens the door ever so slightly for a potential Fowler reunion. Still put it at like 5%, but its more than 0 now. If Blackmon goes to STL and Dex does not want to accept the 4/$60 from the Jays to play a COF spot, there is potential - but he would have to take a 1-2 year deal at a higher AAV, I would have to imagine, and thats not what he wants.

I just hope Fowler doesn't wind up in STL.

One thing not to keep him, but I definitely don't want to play against him a lot.

Any reason to assume we wouldn't lock Davis up? We're not the Rays, we've got the $$$

I could not live with Big Dex being a Cardinal. Anyway we could just gift them Heyward back?

Just Soler for Davis it seems. Absolutely worth it for a great closer and proven postseason performer

Any reason to assume we wouldn't lock Davis up? We're not the Rays, we've got the $$$

He's 31 - so its possible, and I would imagine there will at least be discussions, but I think it really depends on what Davis thinks he will get on an open market, I don't see us locking him in for another 4 years for $60+ million though, but I guess we will see.

He's 31 - so its possible, and I would imagine there will at least be discussions, but I think it really depends on what Davis thinks he will get on an open market, I don't see us locking him in for another 4 years for $60+ million though, but I guess we will see.

Also depends on if he has any additional injuries. Those flexor injuries are often followed by TJ surgery. I'm guessing we will want to monitor that.

His strikeout rate has also dropped the past three years. A bit of a "prove it" year for him to us. This is an ideal trade for both teams imo.

It is official. Davis for Soler. The Cubs will enter next season with a better team than they opened the year in 2016 regardless of what Fowler decides IMO. Don't like giving up 4 years of control for a rental, but certainly like Davis as a player.

Soler for Davis is a good trade. Both players had physical problems last year so there is risk for both teams. Davis is a quality closer and reuniting with Maddon and Zobrist should improve the chances of an extension. I hate losing Soler. With the opportunity to play everyday and good health I think he will become a regret.

Don't think he was cut out for a team in a cold climate, dude always looked absolutely miserable in April or October.

Of course KC can be bitterly cold too (see TNF tomorrow) but it's not usually as bad in either of those times of year

Don't think he was cut out for a team in a cold climate, dude always looked absolutely miserable in April or October.

Of course KC can be bitterly cold too (see TNF tomorrow) but it's not usually as bad in either of those times of year

I mean, he looked pretty amaze in October 2015.

We talking Soler here?

Back