• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Baez is what he is. Good for double digit homers a year, not going to walk much, and is going to strike out a decent amount. If he can get the walk rate up and start showing an ability to lay off pitches outside the zone it'd be nice but who knows if that's going to happen. His defense is obviously great and the defensive versatility he provides is helpful given the surrounding talent.

Rizzo responds to Montero comments and throws some shade of his own "I think we have another catcher who throws out anyone who steals . . . I think going to the media with things like that, I don't think it's very professional."

I guess you can call DFA a reaction. Caratini will become the fourth position player on the 25 man roster will little or no major league experience prior to their call up.

Not to excuse Montero for his comments, I hope the pitching staff begins to pay more attention to an obvious problem.

Final nail - Cubs DFA Montero, call up Caratini. Love it.

29woemb.gif

File this under "How soon we forget". Phil Rogers was very complimentary of the decision by the Cub FO to DFA Montero, especially since they appear willing to eat $7 million in salary and are unlikely to receive offers in trade. He then cautions that an injury to Contreras would leave the Cubs depending on the inexperienced Caratini. If I'm not mistaken Kyle Schwarber is still in the Cub organization and would prefer to catch.

File this under "How soon we forget". Phil Rogers was very complimentary of the decision by the Cub FO to DFA Montero, especially since they appear willing to eat $7 million in salary and are unlikely to receive offers in trade. He then cautions that an injury to Contreras would leave the Cubs depending on the inexperienced Caratini. If I'm not mistaken Kyle Schwarber is still in the Cub organization and would prefer to catch.

I file it under "good riddance". He has run his mouth to the press multiple times, and this year is clearly a clubhouse issue - either motivation or just a bonding issue, its the same (or better) team than last year and they are playing (pitching) much worse. At least some of the pitching goes on Miggy, and his mouth is a bad fit right now.

Cubs escape D.C. with a split. Candelario HBP. Caratini reaches on FC, Candelario out at second. Baez singles. LaStella singles. Jay doubles. Cubs go from down 4-2 with an out in the top of nine to a 5-4 lead. Davis with a no drama ninth for the save. I didn't see that coming. Glad it did. Happy flight to Cincy for the final three games on the road trip.

Thank god for the dumpster fire that is the gnats bullpen.

Nice hr by jeimer in this one too - and javy playing lights out d.

Cubs escape D.C. with a split. Candelario HBP. Caratini reaches on FC, Candelario out at second. Baez singles. LaStella singles. Jay doubles. Cubs go from down 4-2 with an out in the top of nine to a 5-4 lead. Davis with a no drama ninth for the save. I didn't see that coming. Glad it did. Happy flight to Cincy for the final three games on the road trip.

You clearly haven't watched our bullpen much this year.

Russell back at shortstop. Bryant returns to the lineup at third. Zobrist activated from the DL. Zagunnis optioned to Iowa.

Montero traded to the Blue Jays. Hopefully Bryant won't get voted in to the ASG (need to get a Cubs fans movement to not vote for him) so the whole team can have a rest. A rest, a reset, more healthy bodies, and a favorable second half schedule should hopefully do the trick.

Quick update on Kyle Schwarber, a likely candidate for PCL player of the week. In eight games Kyle was 10 for 26 with four homers, nine runs scored, nine RBI's, five walks and a slash line of .385/.500/.846.

Cubs are supposedly interested in Denard Span - that would be terrible, there is literally no value there except a contact hitter to plug into the 1 or 8 hole.

Cubs scouting the Tiggers - presumably for Verlander and Avila. Not sure I want either one, but ok.

I am so done with giving up infinite runs in the first inning - there has to be something Bosio or Maddon or anyone can do. We are horrific in the first inning.

First inning runs have kept this team behind the eight ball to begin games all season.

Schwarber recalled from Iowa and Lackey placed on the ten day DL with plantar fasciitis. With Heyward's return Tuesday the Cubs have all their core position players on the active roster. Jeimer Candelario and Felix Pena were optioned to Iowa and LHP Jack Leathersich was recalled Tuesday in other roster moves. Leathersich is the second lefty in the BP and will probably be given a chance to stick and allow Montgomery to stay in the rotation. Brett Anderson has made three starts at Tennessee and is eligible to return tomorrow. He hasn't been missing many bats so I doubt that there is any urgency to return him to Chicago.

Back