• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

I imagine at least one of those daily podcasts will mention Goddell and Brady each at least 10 times a minute.

He's back!

Looks like one of the two new podcasts is guessing lines with Sal

Listened to the first part of the Cousin Sal ep during the commute today. Bill will be a little insufferable for awhile on the whole Goodell/Brady/Deflategate/Pats subjects, but Sal is always there to play it back off of him. Also looks like he'll just be taking potshots at the ESPN personalities whenever he can now so that'll be fun.

James Andrew Miller
‏@JimMiller
4 highly regarded @Grantland33 staffers turned in resignations today to @ESPN and will be going to work for @BillSimmons

Wow. I wonder who they are. Does anyone know if Simmons is going to launch another writing platform or would the staffers just be working on his podcast and show?

I poked around this morning and didn't find anything definite. Hope Lowe is one of the defectors though.

Goddammit, does Juliet Litman leaving mean no more Food News and Right Reasons podcasts? That is a tragedy, as those podcasts are awesome.

Also really enjoy Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald on this Hollywood Prospectus podcast, which I assume will also be dead. This sucks.

I've been to grantland maybe 3 times in the past 2 months. #largesamplesizedeac

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hbos-bill-simmons-hires-four-831276

Sports Illustrated reports that the staff members who have left Grantland are Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin and Chris Ryan. Dan Fierman, Grantland's editorial director who co-founded the site with Simmons, has also left the site to oversee MTV News, where he will serve as vice president and editorial director.

So pretty much the entire editorial staff. RIP Grantland. The writers come and go, but the editors are what makes a publication tick. Simmons isn't an idiot and Grantland had a tremendous editorial staff - which he just raided again.

Wonder what the site masthead is going to look like now. So many holes in it.

Back