• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Also really enjoy Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald on this Hollywood Prospectus podcast, which I assume will also be dead. This sucks.

Love the Hollywood Prospectus. Greenwald is obviously the star of that show, but he and Chris Ryan have such a good rapport.

I'm not so sure he respects ESPN anymore. He's a Bill Simmons guy.

I agree. Zach Lowe was always sticking up for Bill. I remember one podcast he did with Windhorst right after everything went down and Windhorst was referring to Bill and said something like "he who cannot be named" and Lowe jumped on him saying, "No, it's Bill Simmons" and then talking about his achievements with Grantland and what he'd done for ESPN, basically saying without saying that he's not worried about any ramifications if ESPN was going to try to muzzle it's staff from talking about Simmons.

Yeah bummer that this one will be defunct.

The other pretty good TV podcast I've listened to over the years also ended this month -- Alan Sepinwall's podcast with Dan Fienberg. And of course Wesley Morris' movie podcast with Alex Pappademas also recently ended.

Man, I'm telling you, these guys hopping to different media outlets and not being able to record podcasts with each other anymore is a real kick in the nuts.

The other pretty good TV podcast I've listened to over the years also ended this month -- Alan Sepinwall's podcast with Dan Fienberg. And of course Wesley Morris' movie podcast with Alex Pappademas also recently ended.

Man, I'm telling you, these guys hopping to different media outlets and not being able to record podcasts with each other anymore is a real kick in the nuts.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of Fienberg but he complements Sepinwall well.

Damn, this kind of sucks. I'm glad some people are defecting but it's a real bummer about the Hollywood prospectus pod. I'll feel pretty bad for people like Lowe, Barnwell, Greenwald, and Hyden if Grantland falls off. It's a real shame for how good the site was that it wasn't allowed to continue with Simmons.

Damn, this kind of sucks. I'm glad some people are defecting but it's a real bummer about the Hollywood prospectus pod. I'll feel pretty bad for people like Lowe, Barnwell, Greenwald, and Hyden if Grantland falls off. It's a real shame for how good the site was that it wasn't allowed to continue with Simmons.

Lowe and Greenwald will be fine. ESPN will lock Lowe into a good deal.

So in terms of podcasts since Bill left, grantland's lost (or at least will have to alter):

All BS stuff
Hollywood Prospectus
Food News
Right Reasons
Do you like Prince Movies
NBA after Dark
Watch the Thrones

Any others I'm forgetting? That's a crazy amount of turnover.

Last edited:
With the changes to ESPN.com a few months ago, seems pretty clear they aren't terribly interested in the type of researched, well-written content that Grantland provides. They are moving to being almost exclusively the click-bait "stories" that are thrown up in minutes.

With the changes to ESPN.com a few months ago, seems pretty clear they aren't terribly interested in the type of researched, well-written content that Grantland provides. They are moving to being almost exclusively the click-bait "stories" that are thrown up in minutes.

It sucks but that probably makes financial sense for them. Grantland had/has a lot of expensive writers and poor traffic. Simmons got ESPN to pony up for established, great writers. Wesley Morris already had won a Pulitzer, Zach Lowe was the best NBA guy at SI, etc. The podcasts we love, myself included, don't make much money. Simmons is doing all of these ridiculous live reads on his new podcast to prove some point to ESPN, but I doubt he's killing it pushing MeUndies.

I don't think any of Simmons writing will be connected to HBO in anyway, so I'm curious to see where all these people end up and with what financial backing.

So in terms of podcasts since Bill left, grantland's lost (or at least will have to alter):

All BS stuff
Hollywood Prospectus
Food News
Right Reasons
Do you like Prince Movies
NBA after Dark
Watch the Thrones

Any others I'm forgetting? That's a crazy amount of turnover.

The only remaining Grantland podcast I listen to is Jonah Keri's baseball podcast, and those typically go away after the World Series.

May not have anything to do with anything but there has been no Grantland NFL podcast since Monday when usually there would have been one Wednesday and one today

They edited and pulled comments on Monday regarding the departing members. You can hear the irritation in Barnwell's voice. I don't think it's coincidental that there hasn't been a podcast the rest of the week.

Back