• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Rembert Browne @rembert
October 30th makes it exactly 4 years, full time, at Grantland. October 30th is also graduation day: my last day at Grantland. Feels right.

It sucks but that probably makes financial sense for them. Grantland had/has a lot of expensive writers and poor traffic. Simmons got ESPN to pony up for established, great writers. Wesley Morris already had won a Pulitzer, Zach Lowe was the best NBA guy at SI, etc. The podcasts we love, myself included, don't make much money. Simmons is doing all of these ridiculous live reads on his new podcast to prove some point to ESPN, but I doubt he's killing it pushing MeUndies.

I don't think any of Simmons writing will be connected to HBO in anyway, so I'm curious to see where all these people end up and with what financial backing.

After doing some research, hearing Simmons talk about ad rev from his new pod, and seeing how LeBatards podcast has changed it really does just look like ESPN wasn't even trying to make money off sponors for the BS report. Seems like their are plenty of suitors out there.

No NFL podcast dropped yesterday- it would appear that Barnwell and Mays are suspending from podcasting for some period.

Barnwell has tweeted each day there would have been one a cryptic "No podcast today" message. Wonder what they are trying to accomplish

Sounds like more of a strike than a suspension, but who knows. FELLATE MY PANTHERS

Welp, ESPN has officially killed Grantland

Effective immediately we are suspending the publication of Grantland. After careful consideration, we have decided to direct our time and energy going forward to projects that we believe will have a broader and more significant impact across our enterprise.

The reaction from the Grantland writers on twitter makes it seem like this news blindsided them. Damn that sucks.

Gotta devote all available resources to Stephen A and Skip!

Fuck ESPN and its decision to become the lowest common denominator of sports. I hope Bristol burns to the ground.

Simmons should start landgrant.com and hire errbody

seriously, he still hasn't announced anything about his next site other than grabbing a bunch of old grantland editors.

He was probably waiting for the axe to fall at Grantland so he could gloat and then gobble everybody up.

So good news - on his podcast yesterday Simmons had Greenwald and Ryan on and they already announced they would be doing a podcast together starting in a week or two.

Back