• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Anybody hear about ESPN sending Pardon my Take a cease and desist letter? Pretty funny pod. Only listened to the last 2 after hearing about the cease and desist

Anybody hear about ESPN sending Pardon my Take a cease and desist letter? Pretty funny pod. Only listened to the last 2 after hearing about the cease and desist

Damn, Pardon My Take is everything I never knew I always wanted. I loved the first few eps. I'd give rep but apparently need to spread it around some more first

ESPN is in a really weird place right now. They're still the world-wide leader, but more by default than anything.

They had a really unique product in Grantland, and now HBO is going to reap the entire rewards. BS is an insufferable Boston homer, but he's undeniably forward-thinking as it pertains to how we consume sports, and content as a whole.

Grantland was a nice ESPN project to keep a talent happy when times were good.

Times are tight now. It's not a big loss for them compared to Tirico.

The reason times are not good is because they have failed to evolve for a new audience.

They doubled down on what they were doing because they thought the cable money would never dry up.

Grantland was a nice ESPN project to keep a talent happy when times were good.

Times are tight now. It's not a big loss for them compared to Tirico.

To each his own, Tirico is just another gas bag to me. ESPN essentially had a national sports monopoly for decades. They don't any more. Probably a good thing unless you own stock in Disney,

Preview of Simmons new show:

But like, with a budget.

To each his own, Tirico is just another gas bag to me. ESPN essentially had a national sports monopoly for decades. They don't any more. Probably a good thing unless you own stock in Disney,

I hate bayless but he is a much bigger loss to espn. people will watch football no matter who announces and tirico will be forgotten when McDonough or whoever starts up.

Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars. They good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPN was half of Disney's revenues. They're trying to make up for ESPN's losses in the rest of the company.

The breakup of the ESPN monopoly is good if the alternatives have the same or better production values and talent. Fox has been trying to break it up for years, but they keep putting out lesser products.

I prefer NFL Network and MLB Network to ESPN nowadays.

Yeah. I prefer NFL Network for NFL coverage and I prefer TNT's NBA broadcast.

Agree completely. Tirico is great at what he does but there are plenty of people out there that can do his job, and no matter who ESPN puts in the booth for a live action game, people are going to watch. Announcers don't drive ratings, its the product on the floor or court. Bill was something that I don't think ESPN can really replicate and all of his writers are extremely loyal to him.

Agree completely. Tirico is great at what he does but there are plenty of people out there that can do his job, and no matter who ESPN puts in the booth for a live action game, people are going to watch. Announcers don't drive ratings, its the product on the floor or court. Bill was something that I don't think ESPN can really replicate and all of his writers are extremely loyal to him.

not barnwell that fucking jackal

I hate bayless but he is a much bigger loss to espn. people will watch football no matter who announces and tirico will be forgotten when McDonough or whoever starts up.

much the same way people forget tirico when mcdonough shows up, people will forget bayless when some other blowhard shows up. does anyone really miss jay mariotti?

as much as espn seems to disagree, the stars are the games themselves, not the people who announce or cover it.

much the same way people forget tirico when mcdonough shows up, people will forget bayless when some other blowhard shows up. does anyone really miss jay mariotti?

as much as espn seems to disagree, the stars are the games themselves, not the people who announce or cover it.

Based on the way they are shifting their resources, ESPN absolutely agrees that the games are the star. Everyone is leaving because of money. They are paying crazy money for content, so they are trimming fat on the payroll.

no they don't but ATH was much less about mariotti than First Take is about Bayless and his chemistry/interactions with Stephen A

Based on the way they are shifting their resources, ESPN absolutely agrees that the games are the star. Everyone is leaving because of money. They are paying crazy money for content, so they are trimming fat on the payroll.

They're also paying crazy money for talent. I'm sure they'd like to reduce the cost of doing business from both fronts.

Can it be that hard to hire a couple guys to sit on set and have an interesting debate about sports? Why do you need to pay guys a few million dollars a year to do it? Hell I'd do it for probably 60-70k a year, maybe less

Back