• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Can it be that hard to hire a couple guys to sit on set and have an interesting debate about sports? Why do you need to pay guys a few million dollars a year to do it? Hell I'd do it for probably 60-70k a year, maybe less

Dat per diem doe !

the pictures look terrible too like the one of Obama and Hillary is under some cheap Instagram filter.

Just read everything already posted and there is a lot of good stuff. The Joe Buck piece was my favorite. The basketball brothers in Cali and the thing about "surprise" albums were both good also.

Very excited for this to fill the void left in my "reading shit at work" life that Grantland left.

the pictures look terrible too like the one of Obama and Hillary is under some cheap Instagram filter.

Re: the look, the site is 100% designed to be optimized for mobile, rather than desktop, so that is likely some of it.

Re: the look, the site is 100% designed to be optimized for mobile, rather than desktop, so that is likely some of it.

It also seems intentionally low quality and "retro" ... I wonder if they will stick to that design in the long term.

I also meant to mention the color scheme is terrible.

Guess what Bill, no one outside of Boston filth rocks nasty Celtic green anymore, especially offset by neon lime puke green.

I hate how websites have it now so you have to scroll for goddamn forever to see all the content. you have to scroll for like 10 minutes to see all this site's articles.

Is he gonna add anyone that actually does analysis of the actual sports happening or nah? Big Simmons fan but I'm #disappointed with this site so far

Is he gonna add anyone that actually does analysis of the actual sports happening or nah? Big Simmons fan but I'm #disappointed with this site so far

Site launched Wednesday and there have been 8 articles about the Finals so far.

1) "most miserable people in game 2"
2) fake Yelp reviews of oracle arena by Cavs players
3) "Warriors are the perfect bandwagon team"
4) Warriors game 1 dominance runs deep (4m)
5) cleveland's golden state imitation not working (4m)

I could've written every one of those articles. I was thinking more some Zach Lowe type deep dives, or even some BS takes (he's only written about KD and free agency, FUN!)

1) "most miserable people in game 2"
2) fake Yelp reviews of oracle arena by Cavs players
3) "Warriors are the perfect bandwagon team"
4) Warriors game 1 dominance runs deep (4m)
5) cleveland's golden state imitation not working (4m)

I could've written every one of those articles. I was thinking more some Zach Lowe type deep dives, or even some BS takes (he's only written about KD and free agency, FUN!)

Bill has been pretty open that he thinks the Ringer needs to be more reactionary than Grantland was, so, you are going to get more quick takes immediately/soon after after games. There has been some good longform sports stuff though, from the article about the Ball brothers/family to Mays' long Julio profile.

So Simmons thinks The Ringer needs to be like every other sports blog.

I agree with PH I don't see the hole in media that this is filling and I don't see an improvement on any existing media

I'm just waiting for his "Fuck you Roger Goodell" article.

Back