• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

So Simmons thinks The Ringer needs to be like every other sports blog.

Every other sports blog that also has a culture vertical, a tech vertical, a highly successful network of podcasts, and ties to two shows on HBO.

Update: site is still fucking terrible. Obviously a lot of time to get its feet underneath it but so far I'm shocked at just how bad it is. Still enjoying his podcast work though. He's talked a lot about being burnt out on writing and that makes me think the rudderless direction of the site full of shitty articles might not be just a new site finding its legs problem. Thoughts?

Last edited:
How can he be burned out on writing when he's had a year hiatus? Last year before he was fired he was gonna do a mailbag every week during the NBA Playoffs but only got a few in.

At least the new site brought back "Ask the Maester"

How can he be burned out on writing when he's had a year hiatus? Last year before he was fired he was gonna do a mailbag every week during the NBA Playoffs but only got a few in.

I don't know, he's mentioned it several times on podcasts though

I just checked it out and although I could care less about 2/3 of the content (NBA NBA NBA!!!) the mobile site is pretty tight. Very clean and easy to scroll through.

A big part of my Grantland love was him hitting big with Lowe, Barnwell, Morris and Fennessey. None of the current writers have really hooked me yet.

I just checked it out and although I could care less about 2/3 of the content (NBA NBA NBA!!!) the mobile site is pretty tight. Very clean and easy to scroll through.

I know, right. Where's the Copa de Piedmont Triad coverage??

agree

i also think the new site is terrible

I didn't watch tonight but got a lot of texts saying the show was an embarrassing disaster. I remember watching the first Last Week Tonight and telling friends they should check it out on HBO Go so it's not like you can't be good out of the gate. I hope he finds a groove, I like BS and think he can he grow into the show like Dan Patrick did with his post-ESPN radio gig.

I didn't watch tonight but got a lot of texts saying the show was an embarrassing disaster. I remember watching the first Last Week Tonight and telling friends they should check it out on HBO Go so it's not like you can't be good out of the gate. I hope he finds a groove, I like BS and think he can he grow into the show like Dan Patrick did with his post-ESPN radio gig.

You have friends that did what now? Do these friends live in their uncle's basement

Back