• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

I didn't mind the first 10 minutes. It was better than After the Thrones (not saying a lot). But I didn't even bother with the Affleck/Deflategate segment. I don't know how there isn't anyone in his ear telling him to STFU about Boston. It's one thing to do it on an hour long podcast, it's another thing to do it on a 30 minute TV show. It's not even relevant right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't watched either, but as I get older the Boston homerism stuff grates on me so much more for some reason. He tries to wedge in discussion or at least references the Celtics, Red Sox, or Pats on every single podcast with a sports guest. I pretty much stopped reading his columns too after the formula got tired: take some topic, make comparisons to to the past, try to rank it historically, sprinkle in pop culture references throughout.

nobody but boston wankers give a shit about deflategate anymore

I just watched the Affleck rant on YouTube. That's sort of embarrassing. It seems like they think they can cover up a lack of content by just telling celebrities to swear a bunch. I curse like a sailor, but I don't need to see Affleck dropping f-bombs every sentence in a thinly veiled attempt to give an irrelevant Boston-centric segment more "edge".

I listen to almost all of Bill Simmons's podcasts, but I have no desire whatsoever to watch his TV show. Ditto for "After the Thrones" - I really enjoy the Ringer podcast where those guys talk about Game of Thrones, but I can't handle more than 90 seconds of watching the TV show. I don't know, I just find it really boring to sit on my couch and watch these types of conversations, while it is perfectly entertaining to listen to the same conversations in a podcast while I'm exercising or walking the dog or mowing the yard or whatever.

I agree, shit that works in a column or podcast isn't conducive to TV. It has to be better.

I listen to almost all of Bill Simmons's podcasts, but I have no desire whatsoever to watch his TV show. Ditto for "After the Thrones" - I really enjoy the Ringer podcast where those guys talk about Game of Thrones, but I can't handle more than 90 seconds of watching the TV show. I don't know, I just find it really boring to sit on my couch and watch these types of conversations, while it is perfectly entertaining to listen to the same conversations in a podcast while I'm exercising or walking the dog or mowing the yard or whatever.

I'm exactly the same way. I really enjoyed the Watch the Thrones podcast last year, but couldn't make it through ten minutes of After the Thrones. The stuff that is funny about the BS Podcasts are the banter/jokes/insults between Bill and his buddies/guests, but that doesn't translate to writing comedy for a television show. Obviously he has writers to do that for him, but then it's not really in his voice and I probably wouldn't like it anyway.

I listen to After the Thrones on my phone via HBO now

Yeah, I liked last night's episode. The Theon dick thing wasn't half as clever as Simmons thought but still.....

Agreed on both counts. Will be interesting to see if he dumps (or at least cuts back) on his monologue type things. They are the clear weak point, whereas three of four interview segments have been really strong. 2-3 min of Bill at top and then 12 and 12 of the interview segments would seem to be ideal.

Back