• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Top exec at ESPN, John Wildhack, 36 years, leaves for Syracuse AD position. 1980 'Cuse grad. ESPN is really dump big salaries.

Last night was probably the beginning of the end of Simmons' TV career. The decision to pre-record the show really came back to hurt him last night. Having Bosh and Rogan on hours after the Wade and Jon Jones news came out goes to show why you have to do these shows live these days. In this day and age, with twitter and the up-to-the-second news updates, people want to listen to the most current events. And while he was pretty unlucky with the series of events that unfolded last night, this was bound to happen at some point. Coupled with the already subpar reviews of the first two episodes, cya Simmons.

Last night was probably the beginning of the end of Simmons' TV career. The decision to pre-record the show really came back to hurt him last night. Having Bosh and Rogan on hours after the Wade and Jon Jones news came out goes to show why you have to do these shows live these days. In this day and age, with twitter and the up-to-the-second news updates, people want to listen to the most current events. And while he was pretty unlucky with the series of events that unfolded last night, this was bound to happen at some point. Coupled with the already subpar reviews of the first two episodes, cya Simmons.

I enjoyed last week's pod with House where Bill basically apologizes for the show without actually apologizing by repeating over and over about how the first show of a talk show isn't anything like what it will be after 10 shows or 30 shows, acknowledging the first two haven't really worked

Literally no one is doing "these shows live today."

HBO has poured a ton of resources into Simmons, and he already has I think a 30 show contract. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. I thought the first one was meh, 2nd episode I thought was really solid and i'm going to catch the 3rd episode tonight hopefully. It will improve as I think Bill is someone will actually take some criticism on his TV persona (as long as it's someone he respects that is),

Judging solely off his tone on the podcast over the past few weeks, I'd guess the numbers for the Ringer and his HBO shows are shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmons podcasts suck now. Hard. I used to be a loyal listener but I can't make it more than 5 mins now. This has all gone to his head. He's officially become a complete tool. It's probably not the best thing that's he's spent the last couple years surrounded by people who kiss his ass because they so badly need the job.

Nothing he says is funny. He's not cool. He's a 45 year old LA wannabe douchebag from Boston. The transformation from the every man's man to what he is now is fucking sad. You're not hip Bill. Please STAHP.

Last edited:
idk seems to me a part of it is that grant land failing bruised the ego and psyche so badly he completely deviated from what he was doing and subsequently a lot of the stuff he's doing sucks. Plus he's just bad on tv. The ringer feels like a poorly done version of buzzfeed

Tough crowd. I think the show is aight. Will continue watching to see if it improves. I'm not a huge fan of the site yet, but it could improve too. I know it's super popular to hate on Simmons, but I think he's an important figure in sports entertainment beyond the actual content he produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmons is best when he talks sports with people that know more than him (Lowe, Haralabob, Barnwell, etc). His podcast the last three months might as well be called "the BS/Joe House show". Just not that interesting.

I still like the pod fwiw. Definitely a drop in quality though. Between ESPN banning their guys from speaking his name and the time also devoted to the show and the website the podcast seems to be third priority. Understandable but probably why he's not going out and finding Zach Lowe esque guests and just going with his buddy every time he does release a pod

I think his show sucks. Watched two episodes and won't continue.

The 1st episode was the worst piece of television I've ever intentionally watched. I'm pretty sure HBO had aspirations of creating a sports-world version of Last Week Tonight... Bill Simmons clearly has precisely zero of the tools to create anything like that. The entire production feels like a high-school AV class project.

The 1st episode was the worst piece of television I've ever intentionally watched. I'm pretty sure HBO had aspirations of creating a sports-world version of Last Week Tonight... Bill Simmons clearly has precisely zero of the tools to create anything like that. The entire production feels like a high-school AV class project.

Your avatar was way worse.

Simmons is best when he talks sports with people that know more than him (Lowe, Haralabob, Barnwell, etc). His podcast the last three months might as well be called "the BS/Joe House show". Just not that interesting.

i will never understand why people like barnwell. he is so boring.

Joe House is an annoying sycophant. I like Simmons' podcasts but House needs to fall off a cliff.

My least favorite thing about the Ringer is Matt Borcas. It looks like he was a bit writer on Grantland, with almost all his work on CFB and I never even noticed him. He went from the 12th man on the bench at Grantland to a high usage 30 shots a game player at the Ringer.

He's the most prolific writer on the Ringer for some reason that's beyond me. He's putting out multiple articles a day and he's not funny though he tries to be and he's not very insightful though he tries to be... I mean I commend him for the sheer word count output but he's writing on Wimbledon, NBA, NFL, MLB, Olympics just in the past week.

It's the worst of the shallow nature of Simmons writing combined with the worst of the shallow nature of Simmons humor.

Back