• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Speaking of Simmons humor, I was remembering today that Bill Simmons used to be funny. Like, his columns would legitimately make one laugh from time to time. That dude isn't funny at all anymore, barely even tries.

Much of his humor was based out of his persona as a sad sack Boston fan whose teams never won. Then his teams won and he turned into a lame frontrunner who on top of that moved out and became an LA douche.

To me he's like that indie band that you'd try to catch whenever they played in local clubs, but then blew up and sold out. Once upon a time the Boston Sports Guy would write a column for Digital City, you'd e-mail him to provide your thoughts and he'd e-mail you back in minutes. Not hours, minutes. He really was a groundbreaking voice back then, which is hard to imagine now because it's rarer to find a sports writer that doesn't pepper articles with pop culture references and tales of his personal life.

That's all the old man reminiscing about "back in my day" I've got for now.

He's had way too much House on recently. "Everyone says we need to disagree more!" Seems like Bill is spread too thin and his quality is suffering. I hope he does some stuff on Duncan.

if there's anyone who needs football season to get here quickly it's simmons. get him and cousin sal back on bitching about goodell and all will be right with the world.

He's had way too much House on recently. "Everyone says we need to disagree more!" Seems like Bill is spread too thin and his quality is suffering. I hope he does some stuff on Duncan.

I think this is definitely a big issue. He's trying to manage his website, write columns, write/film his show for HBO, and do podcasts. Currently the podcasts are taking a backseat. He should probably just put them on hold until the NFL starts back up

To me he's like that indie band that you'd try to catch whenever they played in local clubs, but then blew up and sold out. Once upon a time the Boston Sports Guy would write a column for Digital City, you'd e-mail him to provide your thoughts and he'd e-mail you back in minutes. Not hours, minutes. He really was a groundbreaking voice back then, which is hard to imagine now because it's rarer to find a sports writer that doesn't pepper articles with pop culture references and tales of his personal life.

That's all the old man reminiscing about "back in my day" I've got for now.

I imagine if he was honest with himself, he'd go back to those days in a heartbeat.

The show is really bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He needs to do a john olliver how is this a thing segment and rail on certain topics for ten minutes, (Fifa, max salary, boxing, whatever) and then do a ten min interview and then whatever else for ten minutes. It's an HBO sports show on at ten, anyone watching will want actual sports stuff, not watching for the comedy

Last edited:
Simmons is doing a good job of not dominating the stage in his interviews lately. The first 1/3rd of the Caitlyn Jenner interview I thought was weird as fuck, but then finally I thought it was good the last half.

I enjoy his podcasts a lot, but the few clips of Any Given Wednesday I saw never really did much for me. Guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

The podcasts should get better again now. I've listened to him for years but only ever watched the show once. It's hard taking a personality I associate with passive entertainment and making it active entertainment.

i felt once he switched format and had specific things like "Winners and Losers" and "Mailbag" it got better. :noidea:

He needed to take a hard stance on issues ala John olliver to get the social media playback

Back