• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Can't be a coincidence that this comes out right after he blasted Goodell again after the deflategate report came out.

Seems like he's pretty interested in maintaining an on-air presence. I'd be surprised if he went somewhere like Yahoo. FOX or another network seems more likely, unless he starts his own thing. Maybe HBO?

Seems like he's pretty interested in maintaining an on-air presence. I'd be surprised if he went somewhere like Yahoo. FOX or another network seems more likely, unless he starts his own thing. Maybe HBO?

That would make sense.

I don't follow his work as closely as most, but he seems like somebody who would be happiest being his own boss and having completely control over what he writes, who he hires, and his life. But he's had an incredible amount of success working for large multimedia organizations and made a ton of money doing so which makes it hard for him to give that up to do what would probably make him happiest.

Anyone else get the sense that he dared them to do this with the Goodell martyrdom exercise? Sportsguy gets the pink slip of courage he sought.

more and more I find myself going to yahoo for the sports news. Just hate the new ESPN site, whereas with yahoo I can get the 5 hottest sports takes mixed in with "click here to see this giant tornado video" and other things its figured out I like reading about like MMA. doubt I'll go to grantland without BS being there, they just seem like they've run out of things to say. They ran a career peaks and valleys column about Blake Lively the other week.

more and more I find myself going to yahoo for the sports news. Just hate the new ESPN site, whereas with yahoo I can get the 5 hottest sports takes mixed in with "click here to see this giant tornado video" and other things its figured out I like reading about like MMA. doubt I'll go to grantland without BS being there, they just seem like they've run out of things to say. They ran a career peaks and valleys column about Blake Lively the other week.

I do CBSSports and I love it. Also do my FF on there.

I don't really care about losing his columns as I don't really read them much anymore, but I wonder what he'll do about his podcast because I still listen to most episodes.

I really like Grantland, mainly for the writers other than Simmons. It will be very strange to see if that site can continue to function without his vision running it.

Your first sentence is why I think Grantland will continue to flourish. I enjoy reading it because they have some really talented writers, and Simmons was probably the very last reason I would ever visit that site. Grantland needed Simmons in order to launch, but now it's established and has done well attracting talent and putting out quality content.

I guess Simmons deserves credit for helping change the way people consume sports media, but there's a lot of writers who do what he does a lot better, and it's been that way for awhile now.

I don't really care about losing his columns as I don't really read them much anymore, but I wonder what he'll do about his podcast because I still listen to most episodes.

agreed. I still enjoy his podcast more than any other sports podcast out there. Hopefully he can continue there wherever he lands.

Non competes in California are mostly bullshit

i like simmons

Me too. It's become cool to hate on him and he obviously has his flaws but he's also still entertaining and truly DGAF about getting in trouble. I can respect that.

OMG SPORTSGUY/ESPN NEWS THE SAME WEEK AS DEFLATE-GATE!!!! SO MANY EXCITING STORYLINES!

Back