• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Simmons' work has aged really poorly (unless you're really dying to know which 80s rom-com is most like the Patriots D-line), but it seems like he has an eye for talent, and acted as a buffer between the Grantland writers and the ESPN suits. Here's hoping post-Simmons Grantland thrives, though I'd bet on it slowly petering out.

if we can disrupt fatherhood, i don't see why we can't DISRUPT SPORT'S MEDIA.

It seems most writers eventually just fall into the mad lib trap and all their work becomes the same and dated. When looking at the deadspin link on simmons I forget how great it was when Rick Reilly kept plagiarizing himself.

grantland's already flustered. Their Zach Lowe headliner piece is just a picture

This is much worse news for ESPN than for Simmons. I bet Fox and others are salivating at getting the traffic he drives to websites. Grantland will be dead or folded into ESPN within 12 months.

just read the ESPN CEO has been quoted saying "how can we pay Simmons so much when we have Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd contract negotiations coming up?"

In honor of Bill Simmons, when you're watching the playoffs this weekend, take a moment to remind your inferior brains that the Memphis crowd isn't getting tense because they're afraid of Steph Curry or Klay Thompson, they're getting tense because they're still shellshocked over the goddamn King assassination. Duh. Wipe the Dorito crumbs off your dicks and do some dot connecting, motherfuckers, because Bill Simmons might not always be around to do it for you.

Who else does what he does but better?

At writing sports-focused material while mixing in pop culture and/or humor? I'm thinking of writers at places like SB Nation, Deadspin, and non-Simmons Grantland

I had no idea that John Skipper was a Hole (from Lexington). Makes me dislike ESPN even more.

Simmons' work has aged really poorly (unless you're really dying to know which 80s rom-com is most like the Patriots D-line), but it seems like he has an eye for talent, and acted as a buffer between the Grantland writers and the ESPN suits. Here's hoping post-Simmons Grantland thrives, though I'd bet on it slowly petering out.

I agree with all this. Used to enjoy his writing, but I haven't read one of his columns in a couple of years probably. I do listen to pretty much all his podcasts, and many of the Grantland pop culture podcasts, and enjoy those for the most part. I wonder if some of those Grantland writers may end up following him wherever he goes, assuming he sets up something similar to Grantland at another site. Weren't there rumors a few months ago of him starting up something with Jimmy Kimmell and Adam Carolla?

i really don't see why he wouldn't. buy some server space on amazon and get going.

Simmons is annoying. ESPN is annoying. I guess they could not agree on how best to be annoying.

Last edited:
Back