• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

I'm not sure I get his appeal. Don't hate him, but think he is pretty 'meh' on TV. That may be because I don't particularly care about the NBA though.

Well, I'm a moran. Didn't realize quite how much creative input he had.

well he wasn't great on TV

I sort of like Simmons on TV. He has (had?) good chemistry with Jalen, and it was funny watching him whine incessantly the last couple years on draft coverage. His freak out over the Pierce/KG trade was solid live TV. As was his truly, deeply strange hatred of Dante Exum last year.

So given the Patriots news and the fact he won't care anymore, I'm sure Simmons will be completely level-headed about Goodell until he leaves

So given the Patriots news and the fact he won't care anymore, I'm sure Simmons will be completely level-headed about Goodell until he leaves

Depends. They could still withhold his pay which with 4 months until his contract expires and $3m yearly salary means ESPN has 1 million ways to keep him quiet. Although I'm definitely rooting for a Twitter outburst.

Depends. They could still withhold his pay which with 4 months until his contract expires and $3m yearly salary means ESPN has 1 million ways to keep him quiet. Although I'm definitely rooting for a Twitter outburst.

I think he makes closer to $5 million per year.

Jalen needs to go, he's boring

Jalen is boring until he starts reminiscing about his days in the NBA. He played at a cool time and I think it'd be fun as hell to get him drunk and hear him gossip.

Jalen is marginally entertaining, but he is dumb, a bum, and pretty much wrong on everything.

His take on that Pacers Hawks Nyc club incident was allstar ignorant.

Jalen is marginally entertaining, but he is dumb, a bum, and pretty much wrong on everything.

His take on that Pacers Hawks Nyc club incident was allstar ignorant.

I keep wanting to think that Jalen is in on the joke. I'm scared he might not be.

SVP is hosting the midnight SportsCenter by himself and is leaving his radio show. Not sure what will happen with Russillo. He has been doing more TV work lately so I could see him transitioning to that. Hopefully they will find a new co-host and continue the show.

is the midnight show the one replayed at 5 and 6 am? i could watch it with SVP. Not so much with neil everett

Simmons is good, hating on him is contrived

This. Not everyone's cup of tea but Grantland is awesome and his overall contribution to sports fandom deserves a lot of respect.

i love that simmons' passion wouldn't allow him to conceal his rooting interest for the spurs in the last two nba finals

simmons was the reason i stayed up to watch postgame coverage

I really like the fact that he doesn't hide his allegiances, but for me it becomes a little insufferable when those teams have a ton of success like they have had in the last 15 years. He mostly does an ok job of not gloating, but those times that he does it is incredibly annoying.

My enjoyment of Simmons is directly proportional to my enjoyment of the NBA. And by that, I mean that I hate the NBA, so the fact that he's spent the last few years mostly concentrating on it is a drag. He's at his best when talking about MLB and NFL.

My enjoyment of Simmons is directly proportional to my enjoyment of the NBA. And by that, I mean that I hate the NBA, so the fact that he's spent the last few years mostly concentrating on it is a drag. He's at his best when talking about MLB and NFL.

He doesn't really know dick about either of those sports, though. I like when he talks about NBA, because he (occasionally) provides actual insight there, and he understands the sport. When he tries to talk about football or (less so) baseball or (god forbid) hockey, he ends up saying a bunch of stupid shit.

Back