• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

timdunkandthefunk

Rusty Larue
Reaction score
The brass is saying they won't renew his contract. Seems like a lose-lose for both sides.

wow i am shocked by that. where do you see that? Fox or NBC will sweep him up in a minute. What happens to grantland?

I could see Bleacher Report -- he could join (ruin) TNT's NBA coverage

I guess it shouldn't be terribly surprising given the events of last year, but he is so entrenched it definitely does seem like a lose-lose as stated above

I'm not a big Simmons fan, nor a hater, but he does seem to always land on his feet. I bet he'll be alright.

I really like Grantland, mainly for the writers other than Simmons. It will be very strange to see if that site can continue to function without his vision running it.

I guess it shouldn't be terribly surprising given the events of last year, but he is so entrenched it definitely does seem like a lose-lose as stated above

I think I read something about that a couple months ago. What were the issues again?

They suspended him for three times as long as they did Brit McHenry for calling Goodell a liar.

I'm sure he would have liked to spin it as him leaving ESPN, interesting ESPN jumped the gun. Although I imagine ESPN choosing to back away helps him more than if he just left.

I agree this is lose-lose, but I think more for ESPN. And also potentially for the NBA if Simmons loses followers. I really think his popularity combined with his NBA fanaticism had to be a big boost to the NBA.

I presume whoever hires him will want him to start a new Grantland competitor. I wonder if he'll lure away the top Grantland writers. I also wonder if he's under any kind of non-compete agreements with ESPN?

^^Far too much speculation and wondering in this post.

Come back when you have some more concrete information.

Is it common/possible for a noncompete to be enforceable after the natural expiration of your contract?

Typically yes, so long as the duration and scope are reasonable.

So there is nothing holding Simmons back from just unloading on Roger Goodell now. This should be entertaining.

Back