• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

I know this is pretty nerdy, but would love to see them hammered in the US News and World Report rankings. They were 30th last year. Would love to see them fall precipitously from that spot. I want to see their athletics program hammered the most, but a fall in the academic rankings wouldn't hurt as a cherry on top.

I'll ask again. Any way this factors into the NCAA sanctions?

If they want it to. I think the PSU sanctions situation is a good example of the NCAA doing what it wants. I realize that backfired on them, but it's not like there's an entity to govern the NCAA short of a judicial proceeding and a lawsuit would open UNC up to civil discovery.

In any event, I think the answer is that they can consider whatever they want to.

I know this is pretty nerdy, but would love to see them hammered in the US News and World Report rankings. They were 30th last year. Would love to see them fall precipitously from that spot. I want to see their athletics program hammered the most, but a fall in the academic rankings wouldn't hurt as a cherry on top.

Totally agree. I'd also like to see the legislature cut UNC-CH's budget further in order to recoup tax payer money spent on sham courses.

It is amazing to me that so many UNC grads (not the dip shit fans that can't find Chapel Hill on a map) wanted the narrative to be "this was an academic scandal not an athletic scandal ". Do they realize what that does to the legitimacy of their degree? Now we are going down the road of having their accreditation come into question. Do they realize that? It's almost as if they are willing to sacrifice the whole university to save the basketball team. And again...these are graduates.

It is amazing to me that so many UNC grads (not the dip shit fans that can't find Chapel Hill on a map) wanted the narrative to be "this was an academic scandal not an athletic scandal ". Do they realize what that does to the legitimacy of their degree? Now we are going down the road of having their accreditation come into question. Do they realize that? It's almost as if they are willing to sacrifice the whole university to save the basketball team. And again...these are graduates.

It's exactly what they are willing to do, which is why the school's ranking needs to nose dive. The narrative that "everyone does this" is total BS.

Roy's been whining about the investigation for months. Now Coach Hat weighs in with some whining of his own:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/82589/larry-fedora-sounds-off-on-north-carolina-scandal
Fedora told Jeff Greenberg of sports-glutton.com: "We are always having to defend ourselves and how we do things based on what other coaches are saying is going to happen to our school and our program based on actions from the past; and then show and prove that those things aren’t going to happen and most of the things being said are made up. But if you throw enough things up against the wall, some things are bound to stick and create confusion and doubt with the recruit."

Hey jackhole, you should have considered that when you took the job. You were only hired because the previous coach was fired for his part in this mess.

As far as I can tell, the most appropriate punishment, besides the normal stripping of wins, post-season bans and schollie reductions, would be to put PackPride.com in charge of UNC athletic compliance. Hell, they've basically been doing the job the last few years anyway.

I look forward to a new whiney tar hole coach comment every day. Poor, poor tar holes- victims of some grand NCAA scheme to clean up college athletics.

If I were a coach up against UNC for a recruit, I milk this scandal for all its worth. Even if the recruit didn't come to my school, they wouldn't go to UNC.

I really want to know if there is a special medical term for the type of brain damage tar hole fans have. I've read some of the most ridiculous comments about this whole thing- barely readable, grammar equivalent to a first grader, whiney nonsense. They might have the stupidest fan base in all of the world.

Jeezus Lord Mary and Joseph...I always knew UNC fans were highly ranked in the stupid fan category, but this SACS news has really brought the idiots out of hiding. My twitter and Facebook feeds are full of celebratory posts because UNC only got one year probation...lots of "time to learn and move on" and "this should only help us land Giles" "see, no banners coming down".

WTF? Do these morons even read? They don't understand this has nothing to do with the NCAA or athletics.

I'm wondering if they even realize UNC is a school.

Jeezus Lord Mary and Joseph...I always knew UNC fans were highly ranked in the stupid fan category, but this SACS news has really brought the idiots out of hiding. My twitter and Facebook feeds are full of celebratory posts because UNC only got one year probation...lots of "time to learn and move on" and "this should only help us land Giles" "see, no banners coming down".

WTF? Do these morons even read? They don't understand this has nothing to do with the NCAA or athletics.

I'm wondering if they even realize UNC is a school

If anything, it's actually more likely that they were "educated" at UNC.

My new favorite- "why should current students and athletes be punished for something they didn't do"

Well...aside from stripping banners and vacating wins, how else do you punish a school that violates NCAA policy? I mean, I want to see banners come down, but that's for my own personal satisfaction. The truth is, UNC has already benefitted from the success they had during the fraud years, so while it would hurt their pride to remove natty banners, it wouldn't hurt them anywhere else.

You gotta stick it to them now and make them suffer for years.

well, as long as this investigation has been going on, there's not a single student at UNC who decided to attend without knowing that this could happen. one benefit of the glacial speed of ncaa investigations.

My new favorite- "why should current students and athletes be punished for something they didn't do"

Well...aside from stripping banners and vacating wins, how else do you punish a school that violates NCAA policy? I mean, I want to see banners come down, but that's for my own personal satisfaction. The truth is, UNC has already benefitted from the success they had during the fraud years, so while it would hurt their pride to remove natty banners, it wouldn't hurt them anywhere else.

You gotta stick it to them now and make them suffer for years.

Just let any student athlete who wishes to transfer, transfer....without restriction and without sitting out.

Make it about the Athletics Dept, not the (current) players.

I just don't understand how the University isn't furious at the athletic department. This is all on them.

Back