• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

http://i.imgur.com/F2KzuJZ.jpg

Wufwuf1 wrote: The Yellow area is "basketball". The blanks are "BB" The last sentence.. is very important. "This School" is not referring to UNC, it is referring to the "school" of the original class in question. Many have assumed they were talking about Crowder. No, this is referring to a class in another "school" other than AFAM. One where they are involved, but not quite as willing to totally flush their integrity. Note that she said "as some". She didn't say "as AFAM". This email totally endorses the scenario in Wilingham's Cheated book.

There was a prof named McMillan in AFAM. Janet is likely Janet Huffstetler, a BB tutor.

With all due respect to Pack Pride, I don't read the e-mail the same way. Sounds to me like Janet is explaining the process at UNC to someone who is new to the school. I know those guys are desperate for there to be more, but there really is enough as is.

Last edited:
I have been reading the Wainstein report for shits and giggles this morning and came across this little anecdote. I was so struck by it that I thought I'd share. In 2002, the Head of the Athletic Support Department (Mercer) raised an alarm with the Faculty Athletics Committee (FAC) about athletes clustering in certain majors. The information that he presented to the FAC was incomplete and failed to identify that there were 15 athletes in AFAM enrolled in "paper classes" at the time he raised the alarm. Nothing came out of that meeting, quite possibly because the FAC was not presented with all of the relevant data

Fast forward to 2006, that year Auburn was the focal point of a story by the NY Times for an academic scandal that involved a Sociology Professor assigning hundreds of independent study assignments to athletes. Mercer went to a Senior Assoc AD (Blanchard) to raise another alarm. Blanchard and Dick Baddour decided to take it to the FAC. The three men from the AD (Baddour, Blanchard and Mercer) each alleged that they told the FAC that there was an AFAM Professor that was using lecture classes as independent study classes. All three men alleged that the FAC told them that a Professor should be given latitude regarding how to instruct his students. Mercer was tasked to provide some additional data regarding these AFAM classes. The 8 Profs on the FAC tell a different story. They claim that they were never told that lecture classes were being taught as independent study classes and that if they were, they would have demanded to know more about what was happening. there is a clear disparity in the two stories about what exactly the FAC was apprised of.

Wainstein and his group could not make a clear conclusion regarding which group was telling the truth, but they noted that the preponderance of the evidence supported the FAC's version of events. Wainstein noted that Mercer had long known about the irregularity of the classes (going back to at least 2002 when the issue was first raised) and that the timing of raising the alarm (after the NYT expose) was very suspect. They also noted that Mercer never gave the FAC the additional information they requested. The report noted, "Mercer conceded in our interview that he never acted on that tasking and completely let it drop. That is a telling fact, and it lends support to the suspicion that the Athletics and ASPSA personnel were more interested in creating a record of advising the FAC about these classes than in following up and addressing the issue."

That's remarkable to me. One might conclude from this anecdote that the Athletic Director may (I am not saying he was) have been part of a conspiracy to give the department cover in the event the true extent of the irregularity of the class was discovered. I don't know if anyone else is shocked by that as I am. To me, that's game over for the Heels. Taken in the worst light possible, there is evidence that the AD knew and, quite possibly, deliberately misstated the true nature of what was happening in the AFAM Dept from the members of the Faculty for self-interested reasons. Taken in the best light, it shows a callous disregard for getting at the truth and rather demonstrated a half-hearted attempt to raise the alarm for the sole purpose of giving the department cover.

You are the Sarah Koenig of this scandal. I suggest a podcast.

Any comparison to 94 is unjustified. That dude is the best. But thanks for the compliment.

http://i.imgur.com/F2KzuJZ.jpg

Wufwuf1 wrote: The Yellow area is "basketball". The blanks are "BB" The last sentence.. is very important. "This School" is not referring to UNC, it is referring to the "school" of the original class in question. Many have assumed they were talking about Crowder. No, this is referring to a class in another "school" other than AFAM. One where they are involved, but not quite as willing to totally flush their integrity. Note that she said "as some". She didn't say "as AFAM". This email totally endorses the scenario in Wilingham's Cheated book.

The author of that email is a basketball tutor?

Yikes.

Checked IC earlier. Couldn't find any thing about this topic.

I'm still not sure why the NCAA chose not to charge UNC with Academic Fraud. The Wainstein Report has evidence of conduct that has always been considered Academic Fraud. Predominantly, tutors crossing the line. Most instances were limited to the football tutors, so perhaps the NCAA felt that they were previously adequately punished for that stuff. However, some of the stuff Boxil did with the Women's B-Ball players was clear evidence of Academic Fraud.

Pretty good analysis by Dan Kane of the Raleigh N&O. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article24027001.htmlhttp://

I think he lays out a pretty good case that the NCAA's allegations, and the way they are structured, suggest that they are looking at the potential ineligibility of at least 10 athletes and that the 2009 Championship may get swept from the Books.

Dan Kane

3) Men’s basketball is not out of the woods.

The NCAA’s notice doesn’t hit UNC with academic fraud, but it is defining “special arrangements” counselors used to enroll athletes in the bogus classes as impermissible benefits. The NCAA has cited these benefits as a major violation; in past cases they have brought heavy penalties.

The men’s basketball team appears to be tied to roughly 40 exhibits, judging by the academic support staff identified in them. Nearly all of the emails speak to athletes’ enrollments in AFAM classes and, in some cases, the grades they received.

Some emails appear to go beyond the AFAM classes. One shows Jan Boxill, former faculty chair and philosophy professor, changing grades “only slightly” for two athletes on a philosophy quiz in summer 2005.

Wayne Walden, the academic counselor brought from Kansas by head basketball coach Roy Williams in 2003 after he returned to Chapel Hill, is referenced in nearly 20 exhibits, and longtime tutor Janet Huffstetler’s name appears in 30.

Several of Huffstetler’s emails show her sending players’ papers to Crowder. Tutors are not supposed to do this because it’s harder to tell if the paper is the student’s work.

Huffstetler is an office manager for an architectural firm in Chapel Hill that specializes in athletic facilities, including several at UNC. She does not have a college degree. She said she was hired to help the athletes organize their work, but the correspondence suggests she was running study sessions and helping basketball players with their papers.

The emails show interactions that go as far back as the spring 2005 semester, when the men’s basketball team won the national championship. An email between Crowder and Walden, dated Jan. 5, 2005, and titled “Re: Spring 2005” speaks to enrolling players in AFAM classes.

The email has redactions, which make it unclear how many athletes are being helped or if they are being placed into the bogus classes, referred to by Wainstein as “paper” classes, because they required only a paper at the end. Wainstein reported basketball players accounted for 26 enrollments in such classes that semester.

Starting guard Rashad McCants told ESPN he took nothing but the paper classes that semester – and made the dean’s list.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article24027001.html#storylink=cpy

Dan Kane

3) Men’s basketball is not out of the woods.

The NCAA’s notice doesn’t hit UNC with academic fraud, but it is defining “special arrangements” counselors used to enroll athletes in the bogus classes as impermissible benefits. The NCAA has cited these benefits as a major violation; in past cases they have brought heavy penalties.

The men’s basketball team appears to be tied to roughly 40 exhibits, judging by the academic support staff identified in them. Nearly all of the emails speak to athletes’ enrollments in AFAM classes and, in some cases, the grades they received.

Some emails appear to go beyond the AFAM classes. One shows Jan Boxill, former faculty chair and philosophy professor, changing grades “only slightly” for two athletes on a philosophy quiz in summer 2005.

Wayne Walden, the academic counselor brought from Kansas by head basketball coach Roy Williams in 2003 after he returned to Chapel Hill, is referenced in nearly 20 exhibits, and longtime tutor Janet Huffstetler’s name appears in 30.

Several of Huffstetler’s emails show her sending players’ papers to Crowder. Tutors are not supposed to do this because it’s harder to tell if the paper is the student’s work.

Huffstetler is an office manager for an architectural firm in Chapel Hill that specializes in athletic facilities, including several at UNC. She does not have a college degree. She said she was hired to help the athletes organize their work, but the correspondence suggests she was running study sessions and helping basketball players with their papers.

The emails show interactions that go as far back as the spring 2005 semester, when the men’s basketball team won the national championship. An email between Crowder and Walden, dated Jan. 5, 2005, and titled “Re: Spring 2005” speaks to enrolling players in AFAM classes.

The email has redactions, which make it unclear how many athletes are being helped or if they are being placed into the bogus classes, referred to by Wainstein as “paper” classes, because they required only a paper at the end. Wainstein reported basketball players accounted for 26 enrollments in such classes that semester.

Starting guard Rashad McCants told ESPN he took nothing but the paper classes that semester – and made the dean’s list.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article24027001.html#storylink=cpy

It amazes me the stock ABCers place in McCants' Spring 2005 semester and the potential impact [sic] on his eligibility to have played in the NCAAT that year. It is like watching toddlers play with a plastic phone and holding the receiver to the mouthpiece and vice versa.

Denial ain't no river in Egypt.

UNC chases the same athletes as most other ACC schools, and yet only the kids who signed with Carolina had troubled maintaining eligibility. Absolutely every other player at every other school remained eligible solely by their own merits in off the shelf classes, or so I'm told, (and here's the best part, Carolina(!) is the one in denial). Got it.

From The Carolina Way to Everybody Does it!!!!!!!

UNC chases the same athletes as most other ACC schools, and yet only the kids who signed with Carolina had troubled maintaining eligibility. Absolutely every other player at every other school remained eligible solely by their own merits in off the shelf classes, or so I'm told, (and here's the best part, Carolina(!) is the one in denial). Got it.

:rofl:

jhmd - 1
strawman - 0

Other people cheating is not an excuse for rampant cheating yourselves.

Stop being obtuse.

jhmd, do you think players cheat to remain eligible at Work Forest?

jhmd, do you think players cheat to remain eligible at Work Forest?

No. Only Carolina cheats. Everyone else is above board (Note: 136 pages later, Carolina is the one in denial).

Back