• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

Is jhmd trying to say that the NCAA is being unfair to UNC?

No. Only Carolina cheats. Everyone else is above board (Note: 136 pages later, Carolina is the one in denial).

Yes, this. Carolina was selected out of a hat at random to be vilified and made into an example. How very noble of them.

Yes, this. Carolina was selected out of a hat at random to be vilified and made into an example. How very noble of them.

Nope, nope, nope. It wasn't random selection. The NCAA found the one school who has athletes who are not also outstanding students. Problem solved, guyz.

Ahh yes, the everyone does it excuse. Faithful and true defense of many a goat.

If given the proper tutoring and a student willing to work hard, many borderline students can get by at places like UNC and Wake. I suspect at UNC the athletes never were willing to work hard because they didn't have to. Most everyone will do as little as they can get by with if allowed to. But just keep telling yourself the rest of us are cheating if that helps you sleep at night.

Ahh yes, the everyone does it excuse. Faithful and true defense of many a goat.

If given the proper tutoring and a student willing to work hard, many borderline students can get by at places like UNC and Wake. I suspect at UNC the athletes never were willing to work hard because they didn't have to. Most everyone will do as little as they can get by with if allowed to. But just keep telling yourself the rest of us are cheating if that helps you sleep at night.

Clearly you misunderstand me. I'm convinced. You guys are 100% right. The only case of impropriety has been ferreted out and this problem is solved. What. A. Relief.

Someone is starting to panic because it really appears unc athletics is going to be hit hard over this.

It amazes me the stock ABCers place in McCants' Spring 2005 semester and the potential impact [sic] on his eligibility to have played in the NCAAT that year. It is like watching toddlers play with a plastic phone and holding the receiver to the mouthpiece and vice versa.

It is amazing how much you are investing in trying to convince the ABCers that everything is cool at UNC. Are you sure we are the ones you are trying to convince. Your point about eligibility doesn't make sense and argues against you. Only at Carolina could those jocks maintain 97% graduation rates while similar players weren't not able to do that at other schools. So, actually, the question is why UNC did not have any trouble maintaining eligibility for its players.
I am sure there were plenty of players that could have maintained eligibility without taking sham classes but they were robbed of that opportunity by UNC.

JHMD - Is it your position that other schools have a selection of classes available that have no lectures or interactions with faculty, that require only the submission of a paper, a paper that is graded by an adminsitrator who demonstrably provides As, Bs or whatever grade they need to stay eligible and where papers are accepted that were copied or used in other classes? Because if that is NOT your position then you just need to shut the hell up about what others are doing...

It is amazing how much you are investing in trying to convince the ABCers that everything is cool at UNC. Are you sure we are the ones you are trying to convince. Your point about eligibility doesn't make sense and argues against you. Only at Carolina could those jocks maintain 97% graduation rates while similar players weren't not able to do that at other schools. So, actually, the question is why UNC did not have any trouble maintaining eligibility for its players.
I am sure there were plenty of players that could have maintained eligibility without taking sham classes but they were robbed of that opportunity by UNC.

Do you understand that the results of the Spring 2005 semester has absolutely no bearing on eligibility for games played that semester? In short, do you understand the rules?

"robbed"? So good. Thanks for that.

JHMD - Is it your position that other schools have a selection of classes available that have no lectures or interactions with faculty, that require only the submission of a paper, a paper that is graded by an adminsitrator who demonstrably provides As, Bs or whatever grade they need to stay eligible and where papers are accepted that were copied or used in other classes? Because if that is NOT your position then you just need to shut the hell up about what others are doing...

My position is that 100% of the schools that have conducted independent investigations (FTR, 1 out of all 1 of them) into their program have found major problems. The other schools who aren't looking must not have a problem, right?

The smugness of the UNC fanbase is really what chaps my ass the most. Honestly, if this were Wake I'd hide my head in the sand in shame. But instead the UNC fanbase is claiming everyone cheats and the poor goats are being singled out. Good grief. Carolina way my ass

My position is that 100% of the schools that have conducted independent investigations (FTR, 1 out of all 1 of them) into their program have found major problems. The other schools who aren't looking must not have a problem, right?

Hey guyz, we're so honorable that we'll do an independent investigation to make sure that there isn't any fraud!!!

Do you understand that the results of the Spring 2005 semester has absolutely no bearing on eligibility for games played that semester? In short, do you understand the rules?

"robbed"? So good. Thanks for that.

Wrong. In order to compete in NCAA sports a student athlete has to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 (real) credit hours, and if he drops below that at any point during the semester he is immediately ineligible to participate in practice or competition. I think many would reasonably conclude that McCants was enrolled in 0 real credit hours that semester.

Last edited:
Hey guyz, we're so honorable that we'll do an independent investigation to make sure that there isn't any fraud!!!

And to pretend that the reason that UNC did this independent investigation was solely because they wanted to find out if anything was wrong is laughably absurd. jhmd is just a caricature of himself on this thread now.

Wrong. In order to compete in NCAA sports a student athlete has to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 (real) credit hours, and if he drops below that at any point during the semester he is immediately ineligible to participate in practice or competition.

Rafi with a smackdown. Oh, the huge manatee.

5va6eg.jpg

Back