• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

Plus, the Wanstein report (while still not complete - how about that philosophy department?) was only after the Martin report, which has been shown to have been woefully incomplete based upon the NCAA findings and Wanstein report. And the Martin report, I believe (could be wrong about this - basing it on memory), was only after an internal "investigation" revealed no wrongdoing.

The NCAA and SACS also found that key UNC personnel withheld information and were not cooperative, undermining the "access" argument.

Three players?

Perhaps you misunderstood the term "scope."

I see, so you're only interested in other examples of situations where the school failed to identify hundreds of violations over multiple decades? Perhaps you misunderstand the term "equivalent."

"scope" /skōp/

noun: scope; plural noun: scopes

1. the extent of the area or subject matter that something deals with or to which it is relevant.

Maybe Texas didn't have to go back 18 years to independently investigate their infractions? You had more athletes, professors, and administrators cheating, congratulations.

to your point from last night: almost no one is denying that every school has easy classes that athletes take; but even in those easy classes, there is some learning that takes place. McCants could have survived in an easy class where he had to work some, but instead your school put him into a class with no work which was a total sham. Do you not see the difference?

to your point from last night: almost no one is denying that every school has easy classes that athletes take; but even in those easy classes, there is some learning that takes place. McCants could have survived in an easy class where he had to work some, but instead your school put him into a class with no work which was a total sham. Do you not see the difference?

Predicted jhmd reply:

"no"

Let's assume that Rashad's second version of the events is the correct one (freed from the "prison" he complained about in real time and now he's totally unburdened. Sure, why not?); how does that impact the NCAA rules? If they cheated him (this part assumes he sought more challenging classes and he was denied access to them, wouldn't it?), how has he "impermissibly benefited" versus other undergrads (the allegation)?

pg 52-53
The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men's basketball and women's basketball.

Making light of someone's cancer battle seemed like a good idea to you?

Never crossed my mind to make light of her battle with cancer. However, I was certainly intending to make fun of her amazingly huge ability to be an idiot. On the contrary, the fact that she has survived cancer and knows just how dangerous a "small, small, small fraction" can be simply makes my comparison even more on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post

Someone is starting to panic because it really appears unc athletics is going to be hit hard over this.
Bets?

Hard to really say because the UNC-Chapel Hill branch of the state school of North Carolina has skated thru for so long with the "Carolina
Way" but since they almost hit for the cycle of 5 Level 1 NCAA violations, I would say the probability is sky high that basketball will be hit hard along with football--AGAIN--women's basketball [the hardest], baseball and several other sports.

They won't do it because of their arrogance, but what they ought to do is self impose sanctions and hope for mercy from the NCAA like Syracuse did.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post

Someone is starting to panic because it really appears unc athletics is going to be hit hard over this.
Bets?

Hard to really say because the UNC-Chapel Hill branch of the state school of North Carolina has skated thru for so long with the "Carolina
Way" but since they almost hit for the cycle of 5 Level 1 NCAA violations, I would say the probability is sky high that basketball will be hit hard along with football--AGAIN--women's basketball [the hardest], baseball and several other sports.

They won't do it because of their arrogance, but what they ought to do is self impose sanctions and hope for mercy from the NCAA like Syracuse did.

Hey TheReff, there are people on the baseball thread who say that you're a Cardinals fan. Well, let me say that not all Cardinals fans are bad, and the actions of a few in their front office in no way reflects on the legions of good, honest, and humble Cardinals baseball fans that so many people around this great nation have come to loathe. But if I were you, I'd back off pointing the finger at cheaters for a few days.

Just a piece of friendly advice.

JH. Avatar for a month bet.

Restraints: no vulgarity or faith based jabs. I have very little humor for the latter and see no reason for the former.

We can both make it a funny and embarrassing loss without going over the line.

Winner gets to pick the avatar of the loser for a month.

Deal?

And to be clear here is the bet:

I wager that 2 of the 3 of these events will occur with regard to mens basketball.

1. Loss of scholarship
2. Loss of past wins
3. Suspension from post season play

If 1 or less occur you win. If 2 or more occur then I win.

Last edited:
JH. Avatar for a month bet.

Restraints: no vulgarity or faith based jabs. I have very little humor for the latter and see no reason for the former.

We can both make it a funny and embarrassing loss without going over the line.

Winner gets to pick the avatar of the loser for a month.

Deal?

And to be clear here is the bet:

I wager that 2 of the 3 of these events will occur with regard to me a basketball.

1. Loss of scholarship
2. Loss of past wins
3. Suspension from post season play

If 1 or less occur you win. If 2 or more occur then I win.

Sure. Let's have some fun.

pg 52-53
The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that went unchecked for 18 years This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men's basketball and women's basketball.

18 years! :eek:

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

"scope" /skōp/

noun: scope; plural noun: scopes

1. the extent of the area or subject matter that something deals with or to which it is relevant.

Well, since there have never, ever before been violations reaching the scope of the violations at UNC, it would be hard to find an investigation of a similar scope, now wouldn't it?

Hey TheReff, there are people on the baseball thread who say that you're a Cardinals fan. Well, let me say that not all Cardinals fans are bad, and the actions of a few in their front office in no way reflects on the legions of good, honest, and humble Cardinals baseball fans that so many people around this great nation have come to loathe. But if I were you, I'd back off pointing the finger at cheaters for a few days.

Just a piece of friendly advice.

No way dude, I do not back off the cheating Tar Heels. While I don't condone at all what my Cards did, the folks on the baseball thread are just jealous Braves fans, who are just the Buffalo Bills of baseball and also Chicago Cubs who can never win it seems. SO no, I don't like what the Cards have done at all and can't imagine why they did it. But the Holes have been cheating forever!!

I see, so you're only interested in other examples of situations where the school failed to identify hundreds of violations over multiple decades? Perhaps you misunderstand the term "equivalent."

Maybe Texas didn't have to go back 18 years to independently investigate their infractions? You had more athletes, professors, and administrators cheating, congratulations.
I mean it's not like Carolina's is the biggest case of academic fraud in NCAA history or anything...

Jhmd/ link? /Jhmd

Do you understand that the results of the Spring 2005 semester has absolutely no bearing on eligibility for games played that semester? In short, do you understand the rules?

"robbed"? So good. Thanks for that.

In short, I didn't mention anything about just the 2005 Spring semester?
You said that UNC is getting the same players that everyone else is recruiting. So, how is it that UNC was able to maintain that ridiculoulsy high graduation rate that kept its players eligible over such a long period of time, when other school haven't been able to? I think it is quite clear now that it was not because UNC players were working harder in the classroom or that UNC was more committed to getting their players an education. So, what was it, jhmd?

In regards to that specific semester, I think Rafi already handled you there. I give you credit, though. On this thread you have done nothing but confirm the quality of your degree.

Good for you. That sounds like a great service, and exactly the type of thing I was asking about.
My investment is a bit more. Based on a path that began volunteering to provide medical services to local migrant workers I saw a bigger need. A decade ago I put my life here on hold and moved to Central America for a year. I worked with a non-profit that was primarily providing medical and public health resources to Nicaraguan populations where resources and access were very limited. This also included working with Nicaraguan settlements in Costa Rica where those that had become Costa Rican citizens would still have difficulty receiving the basic medical care to which they were entitled through the socialized medical system. I would come to find out that sometimes they would not be given appropriate therapy for very basic and treatable medical issues because the local Costa Rican doctors didn’t think they were smart or reliable enough to follow directions. That is a level of prejudice many of us do not witness very often in this country. In addition to directly treating patients, we also helped provide education and resources to improve the quality/safety of their drinking water and other measures like building chimneys for their wood-burning stoves. The smoke in the home causes chronic lung and eye issues.
This led to (volunteer) leadership roles with 2 additional international non-profits in Central America. In the decade since, I have continued this commitment returning to volunteer 10-30 days every year in these underserved communities in Central America. None of this is very glamorous and typically involves very humble living conditions. It has been quite a rewarding experience and I have gotten a lot more out of it than I could ever put in. I look forward to raising my kids with the opportunity to spend parts of their childhoods in these communities to help shape their world view and appreciation for other cultures (and hopefully plant a seed of service in them). So, I am not who you would like to frame me as being. My life and actions tell quite a different story. An intolerant person whose decisions are driven by their prejudice doesn’t offer up as much as I have to live and work within another culture like I have. He would not value the immersion in another culture like I have. And I have given more than time and labor. Financially, I am well in to 6 figures. Other than my honeymoon, I haven’t taken a vacation in a several years so that I can dedicate my time away from my paying job to these projects. We have made dramatic impacts on local communities and a couple orphanages. We have even built a fully functional hospital run by local doctors and nurses, where before there was only a small outpost for a rotating doctor to come every couple weeks.
So, to have a little twit like you, whose actions are so quiet relative to his verbal accusations and arrogance, say that my prejudice is “the problem” is laughable.
Don’t be too down on yourself. We do need loud voices making it clear that it is no longer acceptable in our society to discriminate against or marginalize people for the color of their skin, their gender or even their sexual orientation. But let’s be clear, that is what your primary contribution is….talk.
If you weren’t so quick to expect your ethical supremacy over everyone else you might notice a lot more people doing good things. It might even open up opportunities for you to join in and get off your ass more than one day every other year. So, yes, I will keep “doing me”. At least doing me is actually DOING something. Based on our tangible accomplishments, I think it is working out fantastic. You keep talking and convincing yourself the rest of us are the problem.

That is easily your best post to date. Certainly, your most relevant.

Back