• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

Scanning the Carolina board there are several posters that seem confident that the BBall and Football teams are going to escape major sanctions and the I scan PP and they think it is the end of UNC-ch athletics.

Based on the success of each at predicting the future over the last few years, I'm pretty sure I know which board I'd place my bets on.

seriously. PP has been bringing the heat on this for years, so I'm guessing they are more in the know than any of the tarheel posters.

seriously. PP has been bringing the heat on this for years, so I'm guessing they are more in the know than any of the tarheel posters.

PP doesn't know jack shit about what the NCAA will or won't do. Neither does IC.

Based on the success of each at predicting the future over the last few years, I'm pretty sure I know which board I'd place my bets on.

neither, they are both idiots

even though i do admire the PP posters for their absolute hatred for everything UNC

There are 5 Level 1 infractions, UNC has been charged with 5 total Level 1 infractions, accounting for 4 out of the 5 possible. The 5th is the only one they haven't been charged with, though I've seen debate whether that can or can't come from additional discovery during the process. Regardless, I don't see any way that the entire department isn't screwed, with each major sport being individually screwed at various levels.

Level I

• Lack of institutional control.
  • Academic fraud.
  • Failure to cooperate in an NCAA enforcement investigation.
  • Individual unethical or dishonest conduct.
  • Head coach responsibility violation by a head coach resulting from an underlying Level I violation by an individual within the sport program.

If the NCAA used the words "lack of institutional control" they are giving warning of severe penalties forthcoming. They could have expressed themselves in any number of other ways. Using this language is particularly telling.

Calling jhmd...

PP doesn't know jack shit about what the NCAA will or won't do. Neither does IC.

This.

The only specific people called out are Nyang'oro, Crowder, and Jan Boxill, newly "retired" philosophy professor & the former director of the Ethics Center. I'm waiting for the word "ethics" to send a cease & desist letter asking that Jan Boxill's name no longer be associated with it. :laugh:

At first glance, it looks like the AFAM classes themselves will not be deemed cause for ineligibility, despite the evidence that grades were fabricated in many cases just to maintain athletes at minimum eligibility for the next year. But I'm very interested in which sports the 10 athletes participated who had over 12 hours of independent study credit:

Additionally, from the 2006 fall semester and continuing through the 2011
summer semester, the institution provided impermissible extra benefits
similar to those articulated above and allowed 10 student-athletes to
exceed the limit of independent study credits countable toward graduation.
Under the institution's policy, credit hours for independent study courses
did not count toward a degree after a student exhausted the institutional
12-hour limitation. By failing to count the anomalous AFRI/AFAM
courses as independent study courses, and including these courses as
applicable toward graduation, the institution impermissibly allowed 10
student-athletes to exceed the 12-hour limitation.

Professor Jay Smith's testimony regarding the rule limiting students to only 12 hours of independent studies towards graduation is included in the exhibit. And if those credits were not allowable towards graduation, then those athletes would not have been eligible to play. And I'll bet numerous good beers that some of those athletes were on the 2009 national championship basketball team...

At first glance, it looks like the AFAM classes themselves will not be deemed cause for ineligibility, despite the evidence that grades were fabricated in many cases just to maintain athletes at minimum eligibility for the next year. B

The classes and the help to get into them was deemed an impermissible benefit...impermissible benefits can lead to ineligibility. It did for several football players at UNC just a few years ago.

5417c278c90e8c1aac000170.gif

You gotta love the "Roy isn't implicated" argument from UNC...never mind that his right-hand man that he brought to UNC from Kentucky was 100% aware of grades being changed to keep players eligible.

sMq7mZV.jpg

This is the part I don't get. If this were Wake, I'd be embarrassed as hell. Why aren't posters on IC pissed that their alma mater (assuming some IC posters actually went to school there) would perpetrate something like this?

When a good portion of your identity and self-worth is tied up in what team you cheer for and the successes they have...

This is the part I don't get. If this were Wake, I'd be embarrassed as hell. Why aren't posters on IC pissed that their alma mater (assuming some IC posters actually went to school there) would perpetrate something like this?

You've been around here long enough to know there would be a considerable group of folks here (and especially on Scout) who would toe the party line and run with whatever the AD plants tell them until the hammer came down. We have a lot of fans invested in this idea that Wake Forest always does things the right way.

Back