• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

I would give Leebs's left nut if the bball team were blocked from the postseason next year when they should be a Final 4 team.

I don't think accreditation is the NCAA's baileywick. By definition, they are in charge of enforcement as it relates to Athletics. SACS is the accreditation entity that UNC has to be fearful of. . .and I think they are close to announcing a decision.

If SACS doesn't do something to UNC, there will be A LOT - and I mean every educator, administrator, and administrative assistant that have ever gone through SACS accreditation- of pissed of folks in the world of higher education.

SACS requires a ton of stuff for accreditation...schools pay their employees to comply...I know several schools who have received huge SACS sanctions for minor infractions (stuff that seems kind of small and silly). Attendance is one thing SACS loves to scrutinize.

I wouldn't worry about Roy, I'd worry about Dean's (and Swofford's) legacies. If charges go back 17-18 years, it started during their tenures. UNC has a great team for 2016, but their recruiting will be destroyed until there's a definitive decision and that will likely happen in January/February. Roy "retires" after the season and they'll have to overpay and give more years to a lesser candidate than they'd be able to attract under normal circumstances (Amaker to Michigan).

The accusations only go back to 2002 for some reason.

Thanks to ESPN for reminding me how much I would enjoy watching Stuart Scott cover this story.

Good stuff from the N&O story on the e-mails disclosed today:

When Crowder delayed her 2009 retirement by a month, staying on to help the department through the beginning of the semester, that was cause for celebration among the football academic counselors.

“I am sorry that you have to stay longer, but it is definitely good news for our knuckleheads!” wrote Jaimie Lee, a football academic counselor.

The evidence extends beyond football and beyond Crowder, too. Jan Boxill, the former chair of the faculty, philosophy professor and women’s basketball academic counselor, sent plenty of emails, including one in which she asked Crowder for a D on a student-athlete’s paper despite noting it was off topic and recycled from another class.

I'm not sure I really care about banners coming down -- they still got to celebrate, get drafted, get paid, use championships as a recruiting advantage, etc. We can't take that away retrospectively.

I want instead to see heavy sanctions, loss of many scholarships, post-season bans. I want Carolina's future to hurt.

I'm not sure I really care about banners coming down -- they still got to celebrate, get drafted, get paid, use championships as a recruiting advantage, etc. We can't take that away retrospectively.

I want instead to see heavy sanctions, loss of many scholarships, post-season bans. I want Carolina's future to hurt.

This. So much this.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread today. That is all.

That article brings up something I haven't thought of. Self imposed sanctions. What are the chances the Heels punish basketball before the NCAA does?

If the NCAA can document men's hoops infractions going back to 2002, UNC likely has to vacate two NCAA titles. Would be far less painful to pull themselves out of post season (ACC, NCAAs) Syracuse style in 2016, even though they'll have a very good team (unlike 2015 Syracuse).

I am hearing conflicting reports. Someone said on PP that Cunningham said last night that UNC-ch will actually be sanctioned under the new guidelines and not the old ones. Is this true?

I am hearing conflicting reports. Someone said on PP that Cunningham said last night that UNC-ch will actually be sanctioned under the new guidelines and not the old ones. Is this true?

"*The violations in the North Carolina case occurred before the new structure was put into place, so while the NCAA is using the new language, it probably is using the old penalty structure. What does that mean? Not much. The Committee on Infractions was wildly inconsistent under the old structure, so it doesn’t really matter which structure is used except to the head coaches who could face suspensions under the new structure for actions taken by subordinates."

I think that was taken before Cunningham's supposed quote from last night (that i have yet to find a link on). Apparently he said something like "we were surprised to be informed that we will be punished under the new structure". Again, I can't find confirmation on this.

Is a new contract for Roy about adjusting his buyout or giving him for years for recruiting purposes? UNC's 2016 recruiting will be on life support until the NCAA issues a final decree.

Is a new contract for Roy about adjusting his buyout or giving him for years for recruiting purposes? UNC's 2016 recruiting will be on life support until the NCAA issues a final decree.

Likely an attempt to give Roy some ammunition on the recruiting trail to fight back against all of the NCAA uncertainty.

In truth, Roy should work for free over the next few seasons to make up for all of the BS bonuses he's likely been paid for the academic success of his players.

Last edited:
Likely an attempt to give Roy some ammunition on the recruiting trail to fight back against all of the NCAA uncertainty.

In truth, Roy should work for free over the next few seasons to make up for all of the BS bonuses he's likely been paid for the academic success of his players.

Especially given that he was probably given several bonus for high APR

Back