• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

Only the tarholes would get a lack of institutional control charge and the next day announce a contract extension to their most high profile coach. Those guys are unbelievable

Only the tarholes would get a lack of institutional control charge and the next day announce a contract extension to their most high profile coach. Those guys are unbelievable

Not really. The extension helps show continuity for recruiting purposes. And at the same time they can maintain Roy Boy didn't know about any of this crap. Makes sense.

What are the bets here for the punishment? I don't really care about UNC football or women's hoops. So for men's hoops, maybe the loss of ships and a postseason ban for 2-3 years?

While I'd love to see the Men's Bball team punished, I think the football program being punished benefits Wake athletics more directly than basketball sanctions.

What are the bets here for the punishment? I don't really care about UNC football or women's hoops. So for men's hoops, maybe the loss of ships and a postseason ban for 2-3 years?

Would see a 2016 post season ban (self-imposed or from NCAA) as a floor, remains to be seen how many scholarships docked, for how long, and if there will be a multi-year post season ban.

It's been mentioned, but it's worth mentioning again. How can UNC football cheat so bad yet suck so much?

someone explain to me why vacating wins isn't the obvious solution here?

If you want to make a carolina fan apoplectic, suggest taking away the 2005 and 2009 banners. That hurts UNC fans more than almost anything. Then take away some scholarships and put them on probation with a one year postseason ban in every affected sport. Minimal pain for the current crop of athletes, but it hits them where it hurts - in their prestige. I suspect that most carolina fans would smile at the prospect of just a one year postseason ban and loss of some scholarships - hit them where it hurts, which is where their pride lies - in those national championships.

someone explain to me why vacating wins isn't the obvious solution here?

If you want to make a carolina fan apoplectic, suggest taking away the 2005 and 2009 banners. That hurts UNC fans more than almost anything. Then take away some scholarships and put them on probation with a one year postseason ban in every affected sport. Minimal pain for the current crop of athletes, but it hits them where it hurts - in their prestige. I suspect that most carolina fans would smile at the prospect of just a one year postseason ban and loss of some scholarships - hit them where it hurts, which is where their pride lies - in those national championships.

No, to me that's the easy way out. Vacating wins and titles that have already taken place means little. Reggie Bush won the damn Heisman. Just because you're erasing something from an official record book doesn't negate what happened. Taking away ships, TV and future postseasons hits a school where it hurts. And I find it hard to believe that some of y'all only think men's hoops will only get a year or 2 of that. I know it's Carolina and all. But what they did on a systematic basis was way worse than what SMU did because it involves massive academic fraud and not just pay for play. And SMU got the death penalty. If the NCAA doesn't hammer Carolina, they'll look like an even more massive joke, and they'll speed up their own eventual demise.

No, to me that's the easy way out. Vacating wins and titles that have already taken place means little. Reggie Bush won the damn Heisman. Just because you're erasing something from an official record book doesn't negate what happened. Taking away ships, TV and future postseasons hits a school where it hurts. And I find it hard to believe that some of y'all only think men's hoops will only get a year or 2 of that. I know it's Carolina and all. But what they did on a systematic basis was way worse than what SMU did because it involves massive academic fraud and not just pay for play. And SMU got the death penalty. If the NCAA doesn't hammer Carolina, they'll look like an even more massive joke, and they'll speed up their own eventual demise.

Because as you pointed out, the NCAA often takes the easy way out.

If Roy did receive bonuses based on APR how long before a NC resident files a suit?

My understanding is that it is highly unlikely that any current or former UNC athletes will be deemed ineligible as a result of the allegations in the NOA (although I don't fully understand the issue with the 10 athletes that had issues with the 12-hour independent study limit). The NOA itself did not assert that there were any ineligible athletes. NCAA rules apparently say that receiving non-monetary impermissible benefits can result in penalties against an institution, but cannot cause an athlete to be ineligible.

If no former athletes are deemed by the NCAA to have been ineligible does that mean that no wins will be forfeited and the banners definitely stay? Or will the COI still have that as an option?

There needs to be repayment of the "stolen goods" which in this case amount to titles and wins achieved with the probably ineligible players. Bank robbers don't get to keep the stolen money. In essence, UNC stole titles, final four apperances and wins from other NCAA schools. There may be coaches at other schools who were kept from advancing in the NCAA BB tournament (maybe a final four appearance) who may have lost bonus money because they lost to UNC. Likewise, there may be FB teams who didn't get as good a bowl because of the UNC use of ineligible players.

Were there coaches who lost their jobs after too many losses, including to UNC? Could they have legal cause for action for monetary damages against UNC? Logic along the lines of "if I don't lose to a UNC team with ineligible players, I meet my win threshold and keep my job." The NCAA has to take the issue of using ineligible players seriously, or else a large part of their premise for existing goes away.

You're right but I know it would really hurt UNC and their fanbase. After all, they are the school that claims a national championship from 1924, long before there even were post-season tournaments, an NCAA or a REAL national champion.

UNC should be put on a lengthy probation- 4-5 years with no postseason eligibility. They should lose scholarships in all sports that are involved in the fraud. They should not be banned from being on TV. They shouldn't be allowed to play any home football games and only play ACC games in bball on the road. They should not continue to profit from cheating. All wins and championships from 2002 to 2011 should be vacated.

How would that work with no home games?

I think no postseason, loss of scholarships, no TV would do a lot to hurt UNC.

Why would any recruit go play for UNC if they were not going to play on TV or in any postseason tournament or bowl game? Even 1-and-done players need some coverage to get the hype.

Would be HUGE.

How would that work with no home games?

I think no postseason, loss of scholarships, no TV would do a lot to hurt UNC.

Why would any recruit go play for UNC if they were not going to play on TV or in any postseason tournament or bowl game? Even 1-and-done players need some coverage to get the hype.

Would be HUGE.

Why wouldn't it work for them to play only road games? They shouldn't get the revenue from playing at home when they are being punished for such egregious cheating.

Recruiting will suffer enough from a long postseason ban and UNC will be awful. I want them to be on TV so that every game they are on is a reminder of why they are so bad. It prolongs the humiliation they deserve.

Back