• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

Whatever they do will be 1/2 as bad as the buzz era

Good point. I assume that forcing them to hire [Redacted] wouldn't be an option for the NCAA's Committee on Infractions. That would seem like a suitable punishment though.

Good point. I assume that forcing them to hire [Redacted] wouldn't be an option for the NCAA's Committee on Infractions. That would seem like a suitable punishment though.

I feel like that would be ruled cruel and unusual punishment by any court in the land.

NCAA will want to punish them for their transgressions, not destroy the program altogether.

I would give Leebs's left nut if the bball team were blocked from the postseason next year when they should be a Final 4 team.

Interesting thought. wonder if this is the delay. Bad recruiting and you may as well ride next year's train prior to 2017-18 post season ban.

I read every page of the NOA. the Men's Bball, Women's Bball and football were identified as the biggest transgressors.

Any punishment won't be announced until around February I heard. The likelihood of any post season bans is slim except for Women's basketball. Probably lose some scholarships, maybe probation for all UNC athletics. I don't think it'll be any worse than that.

5 Level I Violations, people. There are only 6 categories of Level I Violations, so UNC just about hit for the cycle. It is hard to imagine it getting any worse than this. The e-mails are damning and show an Institution whose employees are running amok. The sanctions will fit the crime(s). The crimes happen to be the most egregious in NCAA history.

Post-Season Bans will be on the table. I strongly suspect that a fine will be imposed on the AD. There will be losses of scholarships in the three identified sports and perhaps in the three minor sports that were mentioned in the NOA: Baseball, softball and women's soccer. Ineligible athletes were used. Assuming the NCAA knows the identity of said athletes, wins, and possible championships, will be vacated.

penalty: we send you #s

- Bravo. Out yourself.

Why wouldn't it work for them to play only road games? They shouldn't get the revenue from playing at home when they are being punished for such egregious cheating.

Recruiting will suffer enough from a long postseason ban and UNC will be awful. I want them to be on TV so that every game they are on is a reminder of why they are so bad. It prolongs the humiliation they deserve.

I was just saying, playing all their ACC BBall games on the road, so every other team that plays them H&H would get two home games against them?

I personally think people are underestimating what will happen. I'll go with vacating wins since 2004 and having both titles during that time frame stripped. At least that's what I'm really, really hoping for

This is going to drag out for 6 months but that is good as far as basketball recruiting is concerned. The funny part [I hope} is that they are all in denial and think that basketball is going to get absolutely nothing and come out unscathed. What they are going to have to do is come in and self-impose like Syracuse did, take away some wins, an ACC title or 2, go into this season with an NCAA ban on the tourney and take away some schollies for a couple of seasons [along with all the other programs involved] and hope for mercy after that from the NCAA. If they do not, then you might see the NCAA go back and take away a LOT of wins and take away the 2005 & 2009 banners, along with 3 schollies for 3 years and put them on probation from the tourney & ACC tourney for 3 years. This thing covers so many years and all the sports that it can really hurt if they don't fess up.

This is going to drag out for 6 months but that is good as far as basketball recruiting is concerned. The funny part [I hope} is that they are all in denial and think that basketball is going to get absolutely nothing and come out unscathed. What they are going to have to do is come in and self-impose like Syracuse did, take away some wins, an ACC title or 2, go into this season with an NCAA ban on the tourney and take away some schollies for a couple of seasons [along with all the other programs involved] and hope for mercy after that from the NCAA. If they do not, then you might see the NCAA go back and take away a LOT of wins and take away the 2005 & 2009 banners, along with 3 schollies for 3 years and put them on probation from the tourney & ACC tourney for 3 years. This thing covers so many years and all the sports that it can really hurt if they don't fess up.

If I were UNC, not a chance I'd do this. They've dug in on their end and they're not going to admit fault. Make the NCAA prove to everyone what they're willing to do, because I don't think it's very much.

Exactly. UNC knows that its brand is equal to or larger than the NCAA (as a stand-alone entity). Especially given how the NCAA backed down off of Penn State, UNC isn't going to get shit as far as damaging penalties.

Exactly. UNC knows that its brand is equal to or larger than the NCAA (as a stand-alone entity). Especially given how the NCAA backed down off of Penn State, UNC isn't going to get shit as far as damaging penalties.

No way UNC has the guts to do what they should do. If you hate Carolina or have a burning passion for the academic rigors of women's basketball programs, this is good news for you.

Penn State and UNC are two entirely different set of circumstances. The transgressions at Penn State, while egregious, were not within the NCAA's realm of jurisdiction. They would have gotten their ass handed to them in the lawsuit had they not backed off.

One could argue that the NCAA was literally created and empowered to investigate and punish schools that engage in the practices UNC has for the past 18 years. UNC is going to get smacked. Hard. Where is hurts.

Still think UNC will roll the dice and dare the NCAA to drop the hammer on them. UNC believes they're above SMU. Syracuse (and Boeheim), and Penn State (and Paterno). They won't willingly give up a shot at another title or take down 2 banners. It's all or nothing for them and they're all in. Scary thing is that UNC is a stronger school academically than SMU, Syracuse, and Penn State, so UNC will take both athletic and academic hits.

5 Level I Violations, people. There are only 6 categories of Level I Violations, so UNC just about hit for the cycle. It is hard to imagine it getting any worse than this. The e-mails are damning and show an Institution whose employees are running amok. The sanctions will fit the crime(s). The crimes happen to be the most egregious in NCAA history.

Post-Season Bans will be on the table. I strongly suspect that a fine will be imposed on the AD. There will be losses of scholarships in the three identified sports and perhaps in the three minor sports that were mentioned in the NOA: Baseball, softball and women's soccer. Ineligible athletes were used. Assuming the NCAA knows the identity of said athletes, wins, and possible championships, will be vacated.

Are we certain about this? I couldn't find anything in the NOA that alleged that UNC had used ineligible athletes. I also read that athletes can't be ruled ineligible based on receiving nonmonetary impermissable benefits, which is the entirety of allegation #1. I want to see UNC get hit hard as much as anyone but I think they may have scored an early victory with the NCAA by avoiding allegations of using ineligible athletes.

On a completely different point, I find it interesting that the other big allegation (the LOIC) was basically brought against the academic side of the house. It wasn't brought against the athletic department. Will that influence anything during the penalty phase?

Back