• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

I could use 4 vip passes for the afternoon (3 p.m.) session today if anybody is trying to unload them. Could meet anywhere in the area.

Nadal taking over #1 after losing in the Rd 16 in Canada and in the Qtrs in Cincinnati is definition of backing into it. I think it's as likely he loses in the first 3 rounds in NY as him making the final (and I'm a big nadal fan)

Two solid players are transferring to Wake - Eduardo Nava (from TCU) and Julian Zlobinsky (from Texas).

Two solid players are transferring to Wake - Eduardo Nava (from TCU) and Julian Zlobinsky (from Texas).

Are either (or both) of these guys likely starters for Wake this fall?

Nava is from California and was the #4 rated recruit in the 2015 class, and he played #4 for TCU when they were a top 5 team in 2015-16. It doesn't appear that Nava played much, if at all, for TCU in 2016-7.

Zlobinsky is from NY was top 100 recruit coming out of HS. When he was a frosh at Texas (2015-6), he regularly played #6 for Texas and had a winning record. Zlobinsky played sparingly for Texas in 2016-17. He did have a winning in dual matches (7-2) playing at #4 through #6.

Nava is from California and was the #4 rated recruit in the 2015 class, and he played #4 for TCU when they were a top 5 team in 2015-16. It doesn't appear that Nava played much, if at all, for TCU in 2016-7.

Zlobinsky is from NY was top 100 recruit coming out of HS. When he was a frosh at Texas (2015-6), he regularly played #6 for Texas and had a winning record. Zlobinsky played sparingly for Texas in 2016-17. He did have a winning in dual matches (7-2) playing at #4 through #6.

Good summary. I think Nava is recovering from a significant injury, which is why he didn't play for TCU last year. Zlobinsky is likely a good doubles player as he played #2 doubles for Texas most of the year. I think both will be expected to compete for spots in the Wake singles and doubles line-up this year.

I do wonder about the status of Gojo. All the other Wake players wore Wake gear in the WS Open, whereas he did not. He also seemed to have a private coach with him during the tournament. If he isn't returning to Wake that would be a significant loss.

One other note from the WS Open - Seraphim had the biggest serve in the tournament that I saw during the fist 2 days. He has always had a big serve, but it was massive during his doubles match. The pros he was playing against seemed impressed.

I don't follow pro tennis as much as I used to, but I've been to 4 sessions in the first 3 days of the W-S Open (Dkin Jr is a ball boy). Nice 3 set win by Taylor Fritz last night. I hadn't seen Baghdatis play in years; he won last night and still moves around very well.

Isner on center court tonight at 7.

Nice 3 set win by Taylor Fritz last night.

My Dad and I watched the Fritz/Jaziri match last night. (My daughter is a ball girl. She covered the final set of the Fritz/Jaziri match last night) It was indeed a good match and great night for tennis. The W-S Open is a great event, and a big positive for W-S.

Dkin and 92, are the ball kids enjoying the experience?

My daughter is having fun. This is her second year serving as a ball kid (and maybe her third, I lose track of this sort of stuff) and she clearly knows all of the details of what she is supposed to do. My being a proud papa aside, I was very impressed with her last night (along with all of the other kids). She is on the Mount Tabor tennis team (a rising junior), so that is how she got involved with this event.

Yes, absolutely. His days are probably numbered since demand is decreasing and he's a rookie. He's a sporty kid, but never played competitive tennis. He loves being in the middle of the action.

Nice comeback by Isner last night. That crowd was bigger than some of the finals I've seen there. This tourney really needs him to make a deep run...

Tough draw for a #2 seed. A wildcard 5 time major winner you have never beat.

Fed didn't look good in that first set, but he's playing a bit better now.

His backhand in the first was the worst I've ever seen it. Error after error.

Back